NEW Toyota 86GT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW Toyota 86GT
http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/b...fAodnAgAMg

comments...
Thanks given by:
Saw one in the flesh the other day. Looks nice but a lot like a mini GTR. Like all toyotas, probably absolutely bullet proof but boring as hell to drive.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Was this not the proposed new "Supra"?

Looks lush tbh but they've probably packed it with electronics like the LFA so don't know how involving it will be to drive?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My Celica had 190bhp. I can't believe that in an age where hot-hatches are pumping out 265+ bhp this thing has gained just 10bhp over my humble Celica, yet it costs 25% more than the Celica did brand-new.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Looks pretty nice I'll give them that!
Thanks given by:
Could just get the Subaru version
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Tbh i think the engine spec is piss poor for this day in age and for that reson i dont like it

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Guys, the engine can't be awesome because of the latest emmisions regs that they now have to conform to!!

Power isn't everything though, as long as it handles well..... Interior looks cool aswell tbh!
Thanks given by:
Your right tom power isnt everything but it is a major part in a SPORTS car...
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 09:30 AM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Your right tom power isnt everything but it is a major part in a SPORTS car...

Nope, whats the point in 500bhp if you can't put the power down or go round corners?? Handling is much more important IMO, obviously if it's slow as hell its pointless, but I'd imagine that'll still be quicker than a lot of things on the road. Smile
Thanks given by:
Agree with most on here! Should have been at least more than a megan sport. Say 250bhp... That might have been more respectable... Just await the lightweight higher BHP version they usually do after everyone has already bought them...
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Agreed with Tom for a change lol, This and the Subaru version are about handling, not outright speed..like the MX5 TBH. Love the look of the Subarus.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Driven one of these (I work at Toyota) and have to say despite the obvious lack of forced induction it still seems pretty punchy.

Apparently they're the new S13 of drifting according to all the Jap mag's as well.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I think its lurrrvley
Thanks given by:
These things aren't really about power, they're about light weight and handling like the old AE86, which they're supposed to be a modern version of. Believe it or not, I agree with Tom lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Trouble is 90's Nissan 200SX > '12 GT86.

= Bad. It should be better, but there's more speed, power and potential in the ancient rusting Nissan.

I want to like it, but it fails to deliver.

[Image: img027.jpg]
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
I thought this was meant to be the new ae86?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
I seen one of these outside a toyota dealer yesterday. I thought it was the new celica! Nice but clear lack of boost...
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Meh, just get a bolt on blower kit for it. There are already companies that are making them, circa 300bhp should be enough.
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

[Image: Untitled.png]
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 10:50 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Trouble is 90's Nissan 200SX > '12 GT86.

= Bad. It should be better, but there's more speed, power and potential in the ancient rusting Nissan.

How do you know it fails to deliver? Driven one?

Figures on paper don't mean much really. It could be dead boring. Yet it could be one of them cars that makes you smile every time you get in it. You don't know till you drive it
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
All the reviews I've seen are very positive, saying its fun at far more attainable speeds than most new sports cars. You don't need to be caning it at 100mph+ to have a laugh in it. Looks pretty sweet too.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 10:50 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Trouble is 90's Nissan 200SX > '12 GT86.

It's not meant to be a 200SX though is it? Since when does it matter how much power a car has or how fast it hits 60? It's all about the pleasure of driving, and all I can see is revvy flat four, RWD, lightweight (for a modern) and traction you can switch off...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
This thread has made me very tempted to book a test drive, is that wrong?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
0 to 60 is 7.5 seconds I was expecting at least 6 tbh another car that looks the tits but with disappointing performance, Toyota need to man the f*ck up and make a decent engine for this
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 01:54 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: It's not meant to be a 200SX though is it? Since when does it matter how much power a car has or how fast it hits 60? It's all about the pleasure of driving, and all I can see is revvy flat four, RWD, lightweight (for a modern) and traction you can switch off...

Frankly I'm fed up of reading 'but it's meant to be about handling' and 'it's got the lowest CoG, yo!' over and over.

The reality is that test upon test, it's not as fun to drive as a sportscar of similar price-tag / emissions / power / weight from the 1990's, so where's the progress?

What's the point in having a car with RWD if it hasn't got the torque to ever trouble the rear tyres?

Do you know they had to fit the same spec tyres to these as the Toyota Prius, because they offered less lateral grip. Put sticky tyres on it and you ruin the point.

I see it as a wasted opportunity. It only needed a fraction more power / torque to justify the costs, a sub-7s 0-60 isn't massively important, but it kinda is when you're getting raped in every gear by a French hot hatch which costs considerably less. You could give a GT86 / BRZ a hard time in a GTi6. You really could.
Thanks given by:
Car there's loads of progress. Unfortunately not I'm the way we want but since 90s cars of a similar type, they've become safer and better for the planet. Boring yes but it's certainly progress.
Think your missing the point here car. It's not trying to be some monstrous RWD car that will destroy most things. It never claims to be! So why are you trying to make it one?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'd like to see a GTi6 pass Euro 6 emmisions Chris. And the latest saftey standards tbh. It couldn't be made today, hence why it's not.
Thanks given by:
It's not no.

But it has less power than a VW Golf GTI.

MX5 gets away with it, it has history, motorsports background and - the roof comes off.

It's supposed to be 'engaging' and fun to drive, but when you read the Evo article the car is in fact less involving to drive than a FWD hot-hatch. That's not good, to the point where the car has pretty much failed to deliver on the one simple promise.

It's not going to be easy to turbocharge on the cheap, since it has very high compression and the engine packaging is tight, to say the least. There's already a company which has come up with a remote turbo setup, with the turbocharger underneath the car near the rear differential...

[Image: 326853_404766526254647_714292023_o.jpg]
[Image: 615572_404766449587988_965205065_o.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Got one of them on GT5. Shit tho same as all modern cars
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 02:36 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: It's not no.

But it has less power than a VW Golf GTI.

MX5 gets away with it, it has history, motorsports background and - the roof comes off.

It's supposed to be 'engaging' and fun to drive, but when you read the Evo article the car is in fact less involving to drive than a FWD hot-hatch. That's not good, to the point where the car has pretty much failed to deliver on the one simple promise.

It's not going to be easy to turbocharge on the cheap, since it has very high compression and the engine packaging is tight, to say the least. There's already a company which has come up with a remote turbo setup, with the turbocharger underneath the car near the rear differential...

[Image: 326853_404766526254647_714292023_o.jpg]
[Image: 615572_404766449587988_965205065_o.jpg]

But your purely basing this on a magazine road test. It's only an opinion. For all you know you could drive one and find it epic to drive. A lot of people say the golf was THE GTi but personally from going in them, I think there boring.
You want this car to be something it's not. Accept the fact that modern cars are a lot more difficult to make as fun as cars of the 90s due to emmisions ect.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by: