Apex sports dampers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apex sports dampers
Got these bad boys in the post yesterday:
[Image: P1010013.jpg]
They are twice as thick as standard units and really hard. The standard units don't cope too badly although they do bounce a fair bit on bumpier roads which is why I am going these for uprated ones. I was really lucky as I saw a pair on Egay for £60 which I couldn't believe! They would normally be £65 each, hell I paid £46 each for the rear ones. Can't wait to get these bad boys in.

I have a question though, when I swap the struts out it says you have to compress the spring just to remove the strut from the car (not to dismantle the strut) is this really the case? Baring in mind I will be removing a standard damper but with a shortened spring on it. So is it only with standard springs you have to compress, should I be okay getting struts out with shortened springs on them without compressors? I don't want to remove the springs I want to get the strut out as one.
Thanks given by:
You don't have to compress them in the car. Just remember when you undo the strut from the turret, do NOT undo the big middle nut. Undo the 3 smaller bolts around it. This means it will come out as one unit. You can then wack the shock in a vice and get your compressors on there to get the springs off.
Chances are you will need compressors
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah thanks mate. Not sure what the Haynes was on about then! I'm getting the springs swapped by a garage so that will be fine. How do you think they look? Pretty sick eh?
Thanks given by:
They look short! What springs you fitting?
I've only ever used apex stuff once (some 30m. Springs on a shitty old 106) but they were good. I've heard very good things about them considering how much you pay!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I like the colour, beats the standard yellow/black stuff Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:They look short! What springs you fitting?
I've only ever used apex stuff once (some 30m. Springs on a shitty old 106) but they were good. I've heard very good things about them considering how much you pay!
Hello mate! Yes they are bloody short! I have already got Jamex -35mm springs on my old dampers, I'll just take the struts to the garage and get them swapped over there! Well they were said to be -35mm springs but a lot of people have said they are more like -40mm! Edit: Matt, yes I like the colour to! I think they will look amazing with my Jamex springs which are already the same colour!
Thanks given by:
I used these on my AX, their good but they die quickly...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Hello Liam...long time no see. When you say die do you mean they leak? After how long did yours spring a leak? Baring in mind I'm only doing like 5k per year. I love the feel of them they are so heavy duty and bulky. Might as well get them to put new top mounts on when they swap the springs over.
Thanks given by:
Mine didn't leak, but they lost their effectiveness after about 6-7k. Not bad for the money, but I swear by Boge dampers, always have.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Blimey that's a short lifespan. I'll look into alternatives...but for £60 for the pair of front ones, I paid more for the rear ones so can't complain really! Hmmm...doesn't seem Boge do any for a 306.
Thanks given by:
They're very good, they're what I'm rockin'!

[Image: IMAG0061.jpg]
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that picture Kezzieboy, that's very helpful. What would you say they feel like? Did you notice an improvement over the standard units? And do you have them on the rear as well?
Thanks given by:
Well I had the matched springs as well, lowered 40mm, and it completely transformed it. It's firm, but not harsh or crashy. And yup bought the whole kit with rears as well.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
How long have you had them on? Liam said they wear out quickly...from the pic it looks like they've done a fair few miles.
Thanks given by:
Mine were on the car when i bought it in 2010, still on the car now with the apex springs which came with it and it's still good handling, I've done around 26k in the car and no idea how long they were on the car before i bought it
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice one! Seems quite a lot of people have these, I thought most people go with Bilstein B4s...oh well! I have Jamex springs which are the same colour, going to look sick!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apex Dampers; a review 306Puggy 9 2,728 08-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Daniel306
  Opinions on Apex dampers? 306Puggy 2 1,254 21-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy
  dampers. kingy 7 2,952 08-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Last Post: kingy