Decisions...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decisions...
Okay now my car was literally took to the scrapyard half hour ago...Now the time has come where I need to stop f*cking moaping about what it could have been etc...

I have trawled autotrader for 100 miles from my address and can't find a single D-Tubby...However something has come up that I quite like Clicky...

So 306 1.8 XS...what are they like and more to the point are they reliable. How hard is it to fix the fans?
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Icv are renown to go on them causing fluctuating idle
As for the engine itself they're very good :-)

My 1.8 was pretty good. Couldn't complain tbh
Only slight downside was MPG which tbh is quite poor for a 1.8 with only 112bhp
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Fans are an easy fix, they're as reliable as any other Pug, and their a nice engine. Revvy, sound good, bit thirsty for what they are though, worse than my 1.8T Octavia for example...

Might as get a '6 though in my opinion, won't be much worse in juice but more power and epic noise Big Grin
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Just lookd at the add... 77k miles and in the best colour (Astor) all for £500.... bargain.

Also doesn't say if its coolant or interior fans that don't work. Coolant ones are easier to fix but its more likely the interior ones gone. That could be anything from the motor itself the switchboard or work g
Thanks given by:
Agree with Phil, check the idle situation. My mrs' old 1.8 did it, I got a new ICV and it didn't help. I sold it in the end! Speak to Popeye about his idle woes!!

But yes, Very nice engine, enjoyed mine very much. They sometimes come back from RR's with more than 112bhp!

Need more info on the fans. Do they work at all? (i.e if you connect them directly to power will they come on?, if so, themostat)

Go see it!
Thanks given by:
Sort the icv and stick a '6 Mani on it job done, I'd say go for it mate looks awesome
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Icv is a common issue on all XU petrols. Easy to fix.
Only thing to watch out for with the 1.8 is the coil pack. If it breaks down, it can very easily spike the ECU leaving you with needing a new ECU. Other than that there reliable providing their serviced as recommended.
For petrol, the gti is actually better due to not being worked as hard. The 1.8 is similar to the gti in that all it's power is high up. You have to work them harder than most cars to get them to go but they do go well for only 112bhp. Really nice revvy engines and quite a bit more refined than the gti.

Oh and I wouldn't bother with the gti manifold if it's just going to be your daily driver. There good but these old Siemens ecus don't like mods. The gti manifold worked fine but it's quite expensive in the grand scheme of things.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Just spoke to the bloke apparently the interior fans don't work but the air con does and he don't think the cooling fans work either as the temperature rises a bit when sat stationary. The car itself has a full Peugeot service history but will need the cambelt doing!

Still a bargain?

Thanks given by:
Yeah.... New blower motor and rad fans are easy to do!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Looks to be pretty good value. Most things are an easy fix with these, and finding one in astor for that price is good going! I reckon you could make back any money on it quite quickly if anything went majorly wrong anyway (dibs on drivers wing) lol

You can join team Astor, but unfortunately I'm not sure that will be a phase 4...
Thanks given by:
Go for it!
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
A 306 with working air con! Thats like finding rocking horse shit! Get it!

The temperature will rise! Just make sure the fans are kicking in, and all is well!

Plus (i'll say it again) think about MPG, I used to get just over 400 miles out of a tank, mixed driving.

Quite thirsty compared to a DERV
Thanks given by:
Yes 1.8s are awesome (*awaits someone having to argue with me, as usual lol).........mine was the best car I'd ever bought tbh, definitely best value for money. Not overly quick, but sound nice with a decent power delivery....sound even better with a cone filter and decent exahust.

Only downside is the idle, never seems to be perfect on 1.8s but mine was 'better' with a new ICV. And of course the fuel ecnomy, I was getting about 35mpg on each tank, but I did drive it harder than my golf (thats the upside to NOT having an mpg computer, out of sight, out of mind lol).
Thanks given by:
Stop f*cking arguing Tom!.......oh wait

Yeah the slight hunting idle can be caused by either a dodgy temperature sensor or a bad ECU.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(22-08-2012, 04:27 PM)Niall Wrote: Stop f*cking arguing Tom!.......oh wait

Yeah the slight hunting idle can be caused by either a dodgy temperature sensor or a bad ECU.

Did change the temp sensor as well iirc and made no difference, it didn't bother me much after the new icv tbh though....before that it was jumping between 1 and 3k at traffic lights lol.
Thanks given by:
Get the perv, f*ck the mpg, get a rude exhaust, then boost it.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Such lively engines, love to rev and sit well on the motorway (if not a little boomy with an aftermarket exhaust)
Much better gear ratios than the '6 (/canofworms)

Easy to work on and bulletproof. Although same can be said for the xu engine range.
Love mine to peices!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Okay...I think my mind's just been made up, just contacted my insurance company to find out how much it'll cost me to insure that extra with mods declared (as I intend to mod it slightly!) Lowered 35mm all round, GTi6 inlet and 4 branch manifold and a full exhaust...only £14 more than the D Tubby!!!

Just got to convince my mother as I've got the oh too familiar "It's only got 2 doors, they should be banned they're deathtraps!"

Just got to remember More speed > Less fuel...Less speed > More fuel!

Thanks given by:
Wait, 3 doors are death traps? What?
Thanks given by:
Err how are 3 doors death traps? Next she will be saying anything that isn't German is a death trap! If they were death traps, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yep, apparently so. My mum and sister both think the same, they say people in the back can't get out as easy in an accident. Sometimes I think I'm adopted.

Thanks given by:
Yeah well it's the same if you remove the rear door handles off a 5 door anyway.

/can of worms
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2012, 04:25 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: A 306 with working air con! Thats like finding rocking horse shit! Get it!

The temperature will rise! Just make sure the fans are kicking in, and all is well!

Plus (i'll say it again) think about MPG, I used to get just over 400 miles out of a tank, mixed driving.

Quite thirsty compared to a DERV

Mine was the same around 450 miles to a tank.
My derv does 550 miles to a tank and has 40 bhp and a fuckload more torque :-)
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2012, 05:25 PM)Scott Wrote: Yeah well it's the same if you remove the rear door handles off a 5 door anyway.

/can of worms

lol

Thanks given by:
(22-08-2012, 05:20 PM)samass Wrote: Yep, apparently so. My mum and sister both think the same, they say people in the back can't get out as easy in an accident. Sometimes I think I'm adopted.

Amen to that Spamass!

My reply to that theory was "Well if I take someone out, you'll just have to stay at home won't you!" Rofl Rofl Rofl

Thanks given by:
YHPM..
Thanks given by:
1.8 XS's are lovely, very nimble little cars but they don't have an almighty amount of torque or huge power, so long as you don't go in expecting GTi powaaa then you'll be more than satisfied.

The XS is a bit more neutral than the XSi / GTi6 aswell, due to the lighter engine up front. Annoyingly this will mean any 40mm lowering springs will actually drop you about 25-30mm! But it makes up for it in dynamics alone, feels much more keen and less prone to understeer.

Top that off with the 1.8 engine which loves to rev and you have a nice package. It does like a drink though! I used to get between 35-38mpg. Until the engine lunched itself.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2012, 04:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yes 1.8s are awesome (*awaits someone having to argue with me, as usual lol).........mine was the best car I'd ever bought tbh, definitely best value for money. Not overly quick, but sound nice with a decent power delivery....sound even better with a cone filter and decent exahust.

Only downside is the idle, never seems to be perfect on 1.8s but mine was 'better' with a new ICV. And of course the fuel ecnomy, I was getting about 35mpg on each tank, but I did drive it harder than my golf (thats the upside to NOT having an mpg computer, out of sight, out of mind lol).

You know what Tom? I won't argue with that because your giving an informed opinion on a car you've owned and driven, rather than making sweeping generalisations about cars you know nowt about Wink

I reckon you should go for it at that price. Astor is a great colour, and as long as economy isn't a concern the 1.8 is great. I second what Chris says, the ally engine does improve handling and it is a nice revvy engine with a deep, raspy exhaust note. No better on juice than a '6 with much less power but much cheaper to insure, and power isn't everything. An MX5 has 110bhp and is epic fun to drive Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Agreed with the handling. You DO notice the difference between the XS engine and gti considering the XS has identical suspension setup. My gti handled like a sack of crap when I swapped my shocks over with the 1.8 spax springs. Swapped them to gti eibatch and it's great...

Oh and I do have them almost new 1.8 spax springs for sale for £30....makes for epic handling
/shameless plug.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
UPDATE: I've just spotted a huge flaw in my plan...I can't have an XS just yet!

Just remembered about a little thing called work and because of the job I do I have to have a Saloon or Estate car as I carry passengers and more often than not luggage too. So for now I have my eyes on a 406 HDi 110 for £400 which should enable me to do work for a bit and then in the next few weeks when I am in a new place and my finances are on the up I'll be treating myself to something a little special Itwasntme

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decisions. G.I poss breaking my silver 6 spike2002 42 8,277 02-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Last Post: spike2002
  Decisions decisions....opinions time! Craig-o 10 2,117 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam