Turbo help!! asap lol

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo help!! asap lol
Right well ive got the td04 on and checked wastegate welded arm and its solid so cant see it opening wondering what else could restrict my boost when hitting 25psi+ now the turbo inlet feed has a soft silicone elbow on at the turbo am i being thick here? Is this squashing shut and making the boost drop rapidly as there is fuel there but seems to knock off just over 3.5k

The pump us gov modded and ran over 5k boost with k14 and t2 but had solid pipework

Just wondering if anyone could help as im stumped here

Cheers CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Remove inlet feed and give it a go? One quick drive out shouldnt do much harm..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2012, 07:20 PM)Ricky Wrote: Remove inlet feed and give it a go? One quick drive out shouldnt do much harm..

especially as mark fairey runs defilter all the time, ive run it for a few days and many many more have run permanent defilter
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is it smoking on full boost?

Do you need to run the td04 with so much boost. Im planning on running 22psi max on mine.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I think ive found the problem guys just took my inlet pipework that started with a silicone elbow and its no linger round its slim and oval so think that was the prob takin for a spin once off jack will let you no thanks for quick replys
Thanks given by:
Probably is the cause, remember a TD04 running 25psi flows a LOT more air than a T2 or similar size at the same psi
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Unbelievable only drove round from my garage and the difference is unreal

(14-08-2012, 07:39 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Probably is the cause, remember a TD04 running 25psi flows a LOT more air than a T2 or similar size at the same psi

Ahh good point wel ive just turned the fuelling down a ful turn so will take it easy and test her

Thanks for that pal
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2012, 07:32 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Is it smoking on full boost?

Do you need to run the td04 with so much boost. Im planning on running 22psi max on mine.

Good man!

These turbos are off the compressor map after about 23 psi for us,

To be fair I've no idea why no one has ran one of these compounded with a K14 or T2 probably the best way to go, 15 psi on the K14/T2 and 15 psi on the TD04 would get a really nice torque curve
Thanks given by:
Well it peaks at 25psi and i didnt have my blank secured onto the actuator feed off the inlet housing, so its peaking around 25psi but losing every so slight through this but still pulls amazingly may have to turn pump down a bit when i block this up lol.

But it goes like a train am really impressed there doesnt seem to be much more lag than the k14 either as looked into this turbo i got a bit more and the TD04L-13g what ive seen used on here is slightly different to the TD04-15g ive purchased Smile

Id have thought if you were going to run twin turbo maybe a GT15 would be better along side the TD04L as a much quicker spool? but unsure as im still learingin about this kind of stuff lol
Thanks given by:
Gt15 would work but it would ultimately suffer up top, the idea is to have 2 turbos that can operate up to the same rpms if you catch my drift, if you want peak power at 4krpms then a gt15 would be fine, over that then the k14 or t2 would be a lot better as the gt15 would start to choke the td04,

And from what i can gather the wrx turbo was infact the 13t rather than the 13g,

15g is off a volvo or saab isnt it? Might gain a bit up top with that one, compressor map is on squirrel performance if you want to crunch some numbers, i use 77% ve 0.42 BSFC and 17:1 a/f ratio
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2012, 04:29 PM)Jarrus Wrote: Gt15 would work but it would ultimately suffer up top, the idea is to have 2 turbos that can operate up to the same rpms if you catch my drift, if you want peak power at 4krpms then a gt15 would be fine, over that then the k14 or t2 would be a lot better as the gt15 would start to choke the td04,

And from what i can gather the wrx turbo was infact the 13t rather than the 13g,

15g is off a volvo or saab isnt it? Might gain a bit up top with that one, compressor map is on squirrel performance if you want to crunch some numbers, i use 77% ve 0.42 BSFC and 17:1 a/f ratio

i was thinking more of a bypass system like darrens so the GT15 would cut off once TD04 got going lol im not sure about these things but i understand what you mean

This 15g was actually off a subaru they guy had bought it for his starlet but never got round to it,

To be honest im surprised how well it performs was expecting a lot more lag but hardly much more than the K14 hitting full boost at just under 3k and unbelievable how quick the rev counter moves from 3-5.2 now haha

Its mint, and love the fact how i can cruise on the motorway and at just under 3k doing 75mph the turbo doesnt read on the guage More mpg Smile)
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2012, 04:29 PM)Jarrus Wrote: i use 77% ve 0.42 BSFC and 17:1 a/f ratio

Just a quick FYI there - VE is higher than 77% - go for more like 80-82%... And go for 20:1 AFR - being an IDI you need a much higher air content as you'll never get the fuel burning completely...

DI Smoke threshold is so much higher than an IDI...

One of my next projects is to get a wideband on and measure some AFR to see what's going on...

(16-08-2012, 07:15 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: i can cruise on the motorway and at just under 3k doing 75mph the turbo doesnt read on the guage More mpg Smile)

Less boost doesn't equal less fuel - I assumed this also - you'll actually find that the little GT15s are more efficient on the motorway... My VNT I used to open the vanes up on the motorway assuming it'd reduce pumping losses etc... But infact having about 5-8psi continually helps massively, it increases thermal efficiency seemingly (like a raised Compression Ratio) - I used to achieve 55-60mpg on the motorway if grannying it... If I ran the vanes wide open I'd only get about 42-45mpg MAX....

Also yeah, with regards to compounding small turbos with big turbos... You can't have the two apart in sizing too far - not unless you're intending to only compound for a short period of time... I.e. compound until the big turbo comes in, but then you need to wastegate past the turbine small turbo and open a valve past the compressor of the small turbo too... But it intoduces all sorts of problems of when you lift off the throttle with surging and backfeeding through turbos... I.e. you CAN do it, but it can be a complete bastard...

I'd stick to either sequential where you completely bypass the small turbo and actually block it off as such... OR stick to only compounding, but then you need to be very careful about overspeeding the smaller turbo... There's a chap doing compounding of turbos at the moment on a ~2.0, using a GT3702 and a GT3282... Fairly similar in size (in numbers terms they're not THAT close, but when you think law of diminishing returns, they're pretty close...) but using like a TD04L 15g and a T2 or something, they're so far apart in terms of flow vs shaft speed vs what the engine demands you'd always be on the limit of overspeeding the small turbo and instantly popping it...

As I've been saying for a while now - MODERN turbos with correctly sized housings will do the job of big, old turbos dropping the boost threshold and lag to within stock T2/K14 levels... My GT20 was LESS laggy than a T2, but would do 180-185hp... If you can get hold of a modern GTB, you're talking so much flow down low, you'd have to modify the cylinder head to actually take advantage!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Interesting facts there, i think ive found why its not reading boost on the guage the little blank i put on the venturi on turbo housing which usually runs to the actuator had popped off lol so been running with a little boost leak haha

Should sort this tonight and then read a little more than 0psi lol

Thanks for input too Smile
Thanks given by:
I'd imagin the BSFC compenstates for that... and working on a 77% VE seems about right in the sence that then numbers add up, as for air fuel ratio, it depends.... between 16:1 and 18:1 i run a bit richer, my 306 isn't an everyday car so not too bothered there...

However because I'm not a total douche (at least I don't think I am... lol) I will try those numbers in squirrel performance and see what It gives me... What BSFC would you suggest?

the thing is I need to put my inlet temp probe in and also get me a wideband and also dyno my car to see if any numbers are accurate..

Also when I was on the K14 on the 1.9 I was getting about 10 psi crusing at 80,

I used to get 45 mpg at 90 mph, and that was a totally bog stock 1.9 with a lucas and a K14 (no tune) definately no tune cause I bought with 25500 miles on it and from a peugeot dealer and had been serviced by them every single time and owned by an old man....

I'll through up a hypothetical senario later...

I suppose that if we had the compressor map for all the OEM turbos also we could also match a solution better for compounding.... I still think that a K14 and a TD0413G/T would still be a good match up to about 4500rpms... maybe 5k rpms.... after that then it's questionable...

i've been toying with the idea of using my GT2560R blowing into my TD04.... would be nice..... running about 15 psi a piece....

So it would seem with Ruans numbers we'd need about 40 psi to get 200 hp at 4000 rpms...

Mine suggests 35 psi at 4000 rpms.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RHF5 IHI Turbo ** Updated with pictures can someone help asap!** GP123 23 8,255 08-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Last Post: GP123