Removing springs without compressors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing springs without compressors
I have this idea for removing springs without compressors:

1. Undo top mount from strut WHILE WEIGHT OF CAR IS STILL ON

2. Carefully jack the car up to decompress the spring until it is fully decompressed

3. Remove spring and strut from hub.

Is this method safe? I know I won't be able to get the springs back on the new struts but I am trying to reduce the amount of work the garage will have to do.
Thanks given by:
Go and give it a try, when you lose some fingers it'll be harder for you to post crap.
Thanks given by:
If you're worried about the garage having to do more work, it'd still be cheaper than an hours labour to buy a set of spring compressors and do it yourself. Also by the time you get to that point, you might as well finish it off yourself anyway Smile
Thanks given by:
In all seriousness if you were contemplating removing springs without compressors, you're much better off just paying the garage as you shouldn't be doing it. Even with spring compressors, it's not a nice job... and if it goes horribly wrong you could lose your fingers.
Thanks given by:
Good point. Even if you don't lose your fingers, I've heard of people using spring compressors incorrectly, or just the one compressor, and having it come off half way through, knocking out the person doing it or breaking their nose. Gotta be careful Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it's not worth any extra risk by pikey'ing it.
Thanks given by:
One more thing to add actually, if you're lowering your car, I hope you're actually going to be using different springs which will give you your desired drop, rather than just chopping your springs, as that's definitely not a good idea either
Thanks given by:
No this is not safe because the spring can uncompress more than your bottom arm can move downwards and so even when you have it fully jacked up it will still be under comperssion.

Even with spring compressors it is a nasty job, Ive had a couple come loose (and threw my spring compressors away after the second time) and I know cully has had one come loose too. Only luck alone prevented me or him receiving a serious or fatal injury

They are properly scary when they go the amount of force that is contained within them even when they only have a few turns left till they release is absolutely huge. A spring coming uncompressed and getting loose could comfortably cause a fatal injury and it just isnt worth playing with.

Consider compressed springs to be like playing with a loaded gun where you dont know where the trigger is or how much force is needed to fire it and you have a fair comparison.

Get a garage to do it mate.
Thanks given by:
For the price of spring compressors if rather you buy them than go loosing some fingers. Me and curt used spring compressors and that was scary enough, with trying to take the spring off while on the car :/
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Thank you for giving a helpful answer Dum-Dum. I only had the theory of doing this way and I knew I couldn't have possibly considered all factors hence why I asked on here. I had a feeling there would be something like what you mentioned which would mean this wouldn't work but at the time I didn't realise it. Hell, I am always nervous of the struts when I am jacking up and what not, hell knows I will be nervous handling them to take them down to the garage as well now! Haha. And Curt, kindly go and f*ck yourself.

Edit: Yeah matt I was nervous about using spring compressors as well, I certainly wouldn't want to have the thing right next to me while trying to get the spring out. I will take struts as a whole down to the garage then, thanks again for being helpful (oh sorry you are not Dum-Dum are you so thanks the first time in that case!).
Thanks given by:
Connor hasn't even posted in this thread...I think you mean Curt, and although he took the piss initially he was pretty helpful.
Thanks given by:
Okay thanks Curt for your advice but you are being quite condrascending and it wasn't appreciated. I have changed the name, sorry if I offended you Connor.
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:One more thing to add actually, if you're lowering your car, I hope you're actually going to be using different springs which will give you your desired drop, rather than just chopping your springs, as that's definitely not a good idea either

Theres no way I would use chopped springs (haha) you can get progressively wound springs for so cheap these days. Noooooo, I am merely replacing the dampers for shortened and stiffened units to match the back. I will write a full review in due course.
Thanks given by:
even with spring compressors its a dangerous job

i had to take a deap breath and count fingers and check for blood when one letgo in my garage i was bloody lucky to get away with it and even luckyer that no one else was in there with me

i found it wasnt the compressing that was the problem it was uncompressing the things
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:Theres no way I would use chopped springs (haha) you can get progressively wound springs for so cheap these days. Noooooo, I am merely replacing the dampers for shortened and stiffened units to match the back. I will write a full review in due course.

Good man.

Personally Id drive the whole car to the garage, itll only take them 10 mins a side to remove the struts so you wont pay alot extra.
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:
Scott Wrote:One more thing to add actually, if you're lowering your car, I hope you're actually going to be using different springs which will give you your desired drop, rather than just chopping your springs, as that's definitely not a good idea either

Theres no way I would use chopped springs (haha) you can get progressively wound springs for so cheap these days. Noooooo, I am merely replacing the dampers for shortened and stiffened units to match the back. I will write a full review in due course.
Good to hear! That sounds good Smile
Thanks given by:
cully Wrote:even with spring compressors its a dangerous job

i had to take a deap breath and count fingers and check for blood when one letgo in my garage i was bloody lucky to get away with it and even luckyer that no one else was in there with me

i found it wasnt the compressing that was the problem it was uncompressing the things

Its the noise when they let go that adds to the fear. The loud bang/twang followed by the spring bouncing around a little and then deathly silence. Makes you feel like you might be dead.
Thanks given by:
I love the way everybody is scared of spring compressors iv always used them and never had any problems with them the only part that gets me sweating is when removing them of the springs but a garage won't charge that much to get them off
Thanks given by:
It's better than being over confident/under cautious, as then you're more likely to damage yourself. I've never had any issues YET either, doesn't mean I won't in future.
Thanks given by:
They're a bugger to get seated properly when you put them on and start winding, take your time, pay attention to what you're doing and you'll be reet.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
well i did mine on the floor with a aIR GUN NO COMRESSORS and just let it go obviously in a clear arear lol, but did go with some force and i expect could go wrong and you could end up with a face full of spring or evn lose fingers.. so yeah i agree let someone else do it!!!
Thanks given by:
It's not just a case of buying the tool and using it. You have to be so bloody careful with them. I bent one of mine because I did one side up too far before doing the other. Have to be done up evenly. And dont be tempted to cut them. The garage that fitted mine after I failed at doing it did this and it was bloody scary although the spring couldn't go anywhere!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Even with spring compressors it is a nasty job, Ive had a couple come loose (and threw my spring compressors away after the second time) and I know cully has had one come loose too. Only luck alone prevented me or him receiving a serious or fatal injury

THIS ^^^ one of the most scariest things ever, it does happen, not because you do a bad job but because it 'happens' i guess... chuckin a half compressed spring down the garden to try and 'set it off' is also a scary sight.

ended up having to re-compress the spring on one side to sort it out

Moral of the story - in future i paid £20 from halfrauds to buy some compressors = job done
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
And this is why i wont touch my springs :')

From all of this i dont fancy losing my fingers lol
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
I done this and as soon as is started jacking it up it went bang, pulled the drive shaft out and snapped the brake hose :L
so i wouldnt try it
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:
cully Wrote:even with spring compressors its a dangerous job

Its the noise when they let go that adds to the fear. The loud bang/twang followed by the spring bouncing around a little and then deathly silence. Makes you feel like you might be dead.

Rofl! I know EXACTLY what you mean. ^This^ X 1000000% !!!!!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I've had a couple of spring compressor let go and a set even snap on me. Nasty work i hate doing.
Thanks given by:
That was a bit of a worry when i started reading this thread! besides the danger of taking them off it would be a bloody night mare to get the other springs back on!

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by: