28psi max with MBC fitted

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
28psi max with MBC fitted
Evening lads

Fitted the MBC today and can't get the car over 28psi on the T2, even with the MBC wound fully in.

It's peaking 1psi higher than before, so it is a little higher, and it spools quicker too so seems to have eliminated any wastegate creep.

It's clean on boost. LDA ground, two turns on the preload, LDA screw all the way out, gov shimmed 5mm or so, max fuel up to the point the idle's creeping, FMIC with 2.25" pipework.

No matter what I try it's not peaking over 28psi. Ginge said it could be a dodgy actuator spring?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeh as said pal; if you've woun'd the LDA out as much as, MBC wound in AND the actuator arm has been screwed i can't think what else it could be..

I've never touched a Garret turbo so can't speak of any experience; hope someone else could shed some light on the sitch.

Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I agree with Ginge, mine wouldn't go past 26psi. I think as they get older they'r all getting weaker. Easy solution: big turbo with a welded gate should do the trick.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2012, 09:28 PM)strictly_derv Wrote: Yeah I agree with Ginge, mine wouldn't go past 26psi. I think as they get older they'r all getting weaker. Easy solution: big turbo with a welded gate should do the trick.

...please don't weld a WG Doh never been a fan of doing it and in fairness would scare the crap out of me if i had that!
Thanks given by:
Welding the gate is fine on a derv....if it scares the crap out of you, then man up.

Maybe not if you want a 100% reliable town car...but take a look at any tractor / truck made before 2005, and ull notice they dont even have wastegates fitted.

Chronic boost always makes more power on motors like these, other than with newer turbos, and VNT's
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
...and any idea on the limited boost to help the thread? Smile
Thanks given by:
Gate creep / not enough fuel, does it smoke if you up it, even if you do high idle?

*EDIT* when i say gate creep im referring to the gate being forced open by the exhaust rather than pressure...

On a sidenote, to be honest, if your looking for beans, and arnt to worried about boost, its really probs time to start looking into bigger turbos, as that will give much bigger gains / be alot more forgiving on the blowers...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Yeah turbo change is looking likely tbh. As i said it spools quicker but not really any more powerful..
Thanks given by:
I think the as the same as previously said 28psi is pushing a t2 as it is, you could try jubilee the wastegate shut for a pikey way to try eliminate the problem.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2012, 10:17 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Gate creep / not enough fuel, does it smoke if you up it, even if you do high idle?

*EDIT* when i say gate creep im referring to the gate being forced open by the exhaust rather than pressure...

On a sidenote, to be honest, if your looking for beans, and arnt to worried about boost, its really probs time to start looking into bigger turbos, as that will give much bigger gains / be alot more forgiving on the blowers...

^^^ Agreed Bigger Blower Smile i had same problem the exhaust can open wastegate i couldnt get past 26psi on t2 and 28 on k14 without wastegate welded

Get a big blower on i hit 28psi in 3rd at just over 3k on TD04 last night before wastegate flew open needs re-welding as mate only put a tack in arm lol

Big Blower all the way i wish id have upgraded years ago after the first run with turbo last night Smile
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is it billowing smoke when you're on the power, or does it go clean...

If it goes clean you've not got enough fuel - drop the cold idle and hot idle screws so it idles lower.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Its more than possible to make stock t2's / k14's make 35psi on stock accuators, as I never used to have any issues back in the day, you just need to tighten the arm like hell and force it back over...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Yeah the actuator arm is tight as hell, could barely get it back onto the wastegate. Clean on boost, only smokes if it bogs. Can't seem to get the idle much lower but i'll try again today.

Here's another thing though, the car has no cold idle cable attached at the minute. It idles at about 800rpm when first started though then jumps to 1000rpm after a couple of minutes and stays there. Can't figure out why as the idle arm isn't moving when it does it. Fuel filter maybe?
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2012, 09:40 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Yeah the actuator arm is tight as hell, could barely get it back onto the wastegate. Clean on boost, only smokes if it bogs. Can't seem to get the idle much lower but i'll try again today.

Here's another thing though, the car has no cold idle cable attached at the minute. It idles at about 800rpm when first started though then jumps to 1000rpm after a couple of minutes and stays there. Can't figure out why as the idle arm isn't moving when it does it. Fuel filter maybe?

I had a similar problem with the idle jumping up after warm, mine was the throttle cable would get warm and stretch slightly, what I did was move the metal clip forward a notch on the black plastic cable adjuster.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
It jumps up because the glow plugs turn off / alternator load goes away.

Have you got the cold start arm adjusted right the way down? and idle screw right out?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Idle screw is as far out as it'll go, and throttle arm stops against the pump body.

Turned the fuel up a bit today and not made any difference really, only about half a turn but peak hasn't changed. Starting to think it's probably the wg creeping. MBC is wound all the way in, supposedly good for up to 45psi, and boost hasn't increased so don't think the MBC is controlling anything.
Thanks given by:
If its clean on boost though, and you cant get any more fuel, why are you trying to crank up the boost more?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
This ain't no petrol turbo!

You use the boost to compensate the fuel, I.e. run as little as possible for the inj. quantity, versus petrol where the fuel compensates the airflow....

More boost won't add any power once clean...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Darren I'm not trying to crank the boost up more. What I'm saying is the mbc, if it was controlling boost, should get it over 28psi with its current setting. Turning fuel up to the point the idle nearly runs away made no difference to boost pressure which leads me to think that my boost is limited by something else. It's hazing on boost now, psi hasnt changed.
Thanks given by:
The boost levels won't go up with no more fuel...

Bet you it's still blowing past the gate a little bit... But you've not got enough fuel to really make it blow smoke....
Thanks given by: