New Battery Terminals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Battery Terminals
After recently finding out my terminals are becoming fairly crap and cutting the car out, i need some new terminals.

There are a a load on eBay but which are the best to go for??

Thanks! Angel
Thanks given by:
Metal ones? I'm fairly sure that any of them will do tbh
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is it pos or neg causing the problem? The positive terminal is actually a very good design on 306s if it looks corroded, just take some boiling water to it and a wire brush.

If yours is like mine, the neg terminal will be slightly too big. Problem with just cutting them off and fitting bolt on ones is where the wire is clamped in with screws, you never get as good a connection which can lead to problems eventually. If it is the negative, you could either take it off (it's just bolted onto the box and battery) and file a bit out of the expansion gap so you can tighten it up more or go and buy a new earth loom from pug (about £40). I always try and avoid "screw on" terminals.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
you could always give the ones youve got a bloody good clean with a wire brush and refit them with vaseline. youd be surprised at the difference it can make.
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2012, 07:15 PM)BlackSix Wrote: you could always give the ones youve got a bloody good clean with a wire brush and refit them with vaseline. youd be surprised at the difference it can make.

Yep well worth doing. I do recommend modifying the neg terminal as they arnt the best design.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
tbh i thought peugeots design of the pos terminal is pretty poor if mines standard as it doesnt get much of a contact?
Thanks given by:
Is yours the quick release one? There is a bit that can fall out which means it doesn't grip very tightly.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I changed mine for quick release ones as my 6 sits for weeks at a time and the battery goes flat, but i must say the contact seems much better and i just used halfords specials

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Got the screw thread on top of the terminal

Similar to this
Thanks given by:
Either replace with OEM bits if you want easy removal, or if you just wanna replace them with something else, get ones with a bolt clamp down rather than silly screws, as they will clamp the cable 100 times better and get no issues, like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Angle-Car-Mari...35bcc529bb

Can get quick clamp versions to like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-QUICK-RELE..._547wt_699
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
darrens top link...those ones are great ive used them before
Thanks given by:
Neg terminal slightly too big? Would this cause the car to cut out while driving?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2012, 12:59 PM)Matt Wrote: Neg terminal slightly too big? Would this cause the car to cut out while driving?

Had it on mine before where it worked itself loose and cut out...
Thanks given by:
Thanks so much for all your help guys! I'll look into all your responses and sort the gti out! It cut out yesterday when I was driving (which wasn't very nice) Sad
Thanks given by:
I thought mine was the icv, although cleaned it like a bitch, did it just as much, without so much as a hint of temporary fix, and I did notice my neg battery terminal was slightly loose
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Anyone used these before? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140653165150?s...1438.l2649
Thanks given by:
When the gti didn't start the for the first time last week; I called breakdown as it was completely dead and I didn't know what else to do, after a bit of head scratching he then tightened the battery terminal and it started fine. Yesterday the gti didn't start again, the terminal was tight (giggedy) but then Ginge moved some cables around and it started... :/
Thanks given by:
sounds like a bad earth more than a poor battery connection then. might be corroded to hell and back. id still suggest cleaning them up and lubing with vaseline (giggedy back at ya)
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2012, 01:48 PM)MissTait_GTI6 Wrote: When the gti didn't start the for the first time last week; I called breakdown as it was completely dead and I didn't know what else to do, after a bit of head scratching he then tightened the battery terminal and it started fine. Yesterday the gti didn't start again, the terminal was tight (giggedy) but then Ginge moved some cables around and it started... :/

mine has been doing the same recently. Ever since i swapped it for my speedboat battery. I havent done the terminals up tight enough so its definitely a problem. Quite a big affect for something so small~!
Thanks given by:
Where are the main earth points to check??
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
One on the gearbox i think.. but i'd check the main one off the neg battery terminal first. Theres another somewhere but im not that clued up tbh lol
Thanks given by:
If it's cutting out then it's losing it's engine earth... The battery can be completely removed and it'll still run happily of it's own alternator juice...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Hmm I think a check of the earth would be a wise place to start; I'm sure Haynes/handbook will have some more info
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
upgrade ur - cable to better and go from battery to chassie battery to gearbox and gear box to chassie this will help wiht the new terminal as well
Thanks given by:
the main ones are :

battery to gearbox, battery to inner chassis leg and theres another one down there too
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flat battery/ can't open at to charge battery Aaron _d95 18 7,828 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Last Post: C2K