De-Filtered T2 sounds like a boost leak?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-Filtered T2 sounds like a boost leak?
As titled does a de-filtered turbo normally sound quite "wooosh"y?

I know a few people are running them like this (Mark) so perhaps one of you can reassure me. Smile

Just in the process of eliminating boost leaks from the FMIC install but I'm sure the turbo is making most of the noise now its got no filtration on it?

Cheers!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Im running defilter and the sound is pretty normal, Marks just sounds like a plane taking off
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 09:39 PM)declantg Wrote: Im running defilter and the sound is pretty normal, Marks just sounds like a plane taking off

Yeah thats pretty much how mine sounds. Confused

Are you on a FMIC or TMIC?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
TMIC, dont really need a FMIC on a gt15 and a lucas haha

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 09:51 PM)declantg Wrote: TMIC, dont really need a FMIC on a gt15 and a lucas haha

Ah. Thats probably why yours sounds quite normal then lol.

Not enough fuel going through and probably doesn't spin up much over 20PSI?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
you would be surprised what mine sounds like, huge whooshing noise as soon as i get boost :L

20 psi? pfffft all about 12 psi

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 09:56 PM)declantg Wrote: you would be surprised what mine sounds like, huge whooshing noise as soon as i get boost :L

20 psi? pfffft all about 12 psi

Heh, you said it was normal before! Tongue

12 psi? Think you got some work to do!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
i mean like normal when you defilter Smile

And yeah i know, all in good time Smile

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Mine sounds like that as well mate. Sounds like a bloody 747! lol
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 10:08 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Mine sounds like that as well mate. Sounds like a bloody 747! lol

Thats all right then, just a bit paranoid atm as obviously I've been sorting boost leaks with the FMIC and the turbo kind of over powers the leaks with its wooshing. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
My K14 sounded awesome defiltered but going to run TD04 with filter as dont want to drag anything in.

The K14 sounded as if had a valve on on gearchange and if let of a bit quick got the chatter sound everyone goes on about probably why turbo lasted 3 days defiltered haha but defo sounded like a jet
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah K14's an T2's pushing over 20 psi will sound like that de-filtered
Thanks given by:
try a K03 on 28 PSI de-filtered Inlove

but yeh, eliminate any leaks around the FMIC route, keep a check on your boost gauge and if all seems dandy; i wouldnt worry too much Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I do want to get a filter on, it's just finalizing my FMIC route. I'm not happy with how it is and want to put my 2" 90 from turbo outlet to then run a pipe through the inlet manifold. Only problem is I've just finished sorting leaks so can't be assed to rip it apart straight away!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
i found that you get slight more boost when de-filetered as not restrictions so this could help identify boost leaks but they are a PIA as you cant get boost just sat still
Thanks given by:
Try 30 psi on a td04,,, sounds like a jet!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 09:48 AM)Jake Wrote: Try 30 psi on a td04,,, sounds like a jet!

hopefully will on saturday jake Smile is that on a 9mm?
Thanks given by:
Meh, I'll get a video later. It's pretty crazy.

Sure my inlet is leaking from each corner too where I replaced the shorter studs for slightly short bolts.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 10:02 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote:

Yep 9mm all the way Smile
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
When mark overtook on the way to FCS his sounded like a jet fighter! EPIC noise Big Grin
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 10:17 AM)Jake Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 10:02 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote:

Shweeet wel i wont have it running this weekend as the hose place are useless sent mrs up with bolt out of banjo for turbo for thread size and orig t2 pipe for thread for into block and they dont understand what i want n said id have to go up haha nobs delaying my BOOOSSSTTT!!!!
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 02:08 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 10:17 AM)Jake Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 10:02 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: hopefully will on saturday jake Smile is that on a 9mm?

Shweeet wel i wont have it running this weekend as the hose place are useless sent mrs up with bolt out of banjo for turbo for thread size and orig t2 pipe for thread for into block and they dont understand what i want n said id have to go up haha nobs delaying my BOOOSSSTTT!!!!

Hah so they have made the opposite pipe to what you need? Where you getting it done, pirtek did mine and were very good!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 02:31 PM)Jake Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 02:08 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 10:17 AM)Jake Wrote: Yep 9mm all the way Smile

Hah so they have made the opposite pipe to what you need? Where you getting it done, pirtek did mine and were very good!

No he didnt actually make it because i wasnt there and he wanted to be 100% sure how long did u get your? im going to fit the turbo if i get it back this weekend and then fit oil line monday after work, going to go get it made up on my dinner monday now
Thanks given by:
Umm. This long.
[Image: 4e1385cc.jpg]

Just got a compression fitting on the block side and used my fitting off my old oil line,
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
im comfused now haha (doesnt take much) do you know the thread on the block? so youve got a banjo end and a female end and a compression fitting into the block which the female end screws onto? dont understand which fitting youve used off old block

sorry for me being so thick today lol

i wanted them to make a hose using the male fitting off original hose going to an elbow with the same thread as banjo bolt into the turbo
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 03:34 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: im comfused now haha (doesnt take much) do you know the thread on the block? so youve got a banjo end and a female end and a compression fitting into the block which the female end screws onto? dont understand which fitting youve used off old block

sorry for me being so thick today lol

i wanted them to make a hose using the male fitting off original hose going to an elbow with the same thread as banjo bolt into the turbo

No that was my fault I didn't word that the best lol..

On the oil line
Banjo one end.. Compression fitting the other end. Cut up my old oil line and took the bit that threads into the block and attached it to the compression fitting on the oil line.

That make sense? It's hard to explain lol.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
How did u attatch it to the compression fitting on oil line lol cant quite get my head round it haha
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 05:58 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: How did u attatch it to the compression fitting on oil line lol cant quite get my head round it haha

Cut the old oil line leaving about 2 inches of solid pipe, inserted that into the compression fitting and tightened it up.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 06:00 PM)Jake Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:58 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: How did u attatch it to the compression fitting on oil line lol cant quite get my head round it haha

Cut the old oil line leaving about 2 inches of solid pipe, inserted that into the compression fitting and tightened it up.

BINGO get ya bud Smile gonna get same setup as urs on monday then Smile

Nice on pal they guy didnt av a clue wat i was tryin to ask for mayb he will now haha
Thanks given by:
45lb being pulled into a T28 at 5 grand sounds pretty epic, that certainly sounded like a monumental boost leak
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  boost leak ? Motatalk 3 1,138 19-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Boost leak... philpemberton94 6 2,014 13-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Last Post: toseland
  boost leak? willJspears 11 2,439 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Last Post: willJspears