Servicing - Do you still go Genuine?

Poll: Genuine or Motor Factor Filters?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Genuine Pug
46.67%
7 46.67%
Cheap Alternative
53.33%
8 53.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Servicing - Do you still go Genuine?
Lots of conversations used to come about years ago when this came up;

Do you buy Genuine Peugeot filters when you service your car?

A service kit for a 2.0 HDi can be had for about £20, whereas Peugeot have just quoted me £48.36 plus £30 for 5L of oil (Total Quartz 10W40)

What's your opinion?

It's interesting listening to my father in law who is a mechanic by trade and as such gets big discounts from motor factors. With his involvement you'd have thought I could save lots of money, but back when I last serviced my Toyota Celica I managed to get the genuine parts from Toyota for less than he got a price for!

Everyone says 'OEM quality' on their adverts, but some parts are always worth buying from the dealer, as they are generally a better fit and finish from experience.

For me I think these parts include both the oil and fuel filters. Everything else is pretty generic. A fuel filter from Pug is £18.74 and an oil filter £10.69

The air filter I may leave as it's another £17.93 on top, for what is basically a bit of paper. But at least it will fit nicely.

What are your thoughts / opinions?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Personally id get decent oil (Not neccesarily what pug reccomend, but something of the same viscosity and a good brand) and then just get fuel/oil/air filters from motor factors at cheapest price you can.

Edit, suppose I better vote aswel lol I clicked cheap alternative
Thanks given by:
i buy nothing from pug, apart from dealer only parts lol . . . . i try not to buy shit though . .Smile

i'm not voting for cheep alternative, as that makes it sound like a cop out, cheaper alternative yes . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
There is big discounts to be had from pug too. I got 2 oil filters for 8 quid when the retail as you say is almost £11

Evans Halshaw are on ebay and do blinding prices (full service kit without oil and cambelt + water pump) for a 1.4hdi 207 for £200 delivered.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well..........I bought stuff from ECP for my 306s, and SRowells........so cheap alternative.

But since I get forum discount at a main VAG dealer I use all genuine parts on the golf (means I also still have full service history with vw receipts).........

Not sure what I'll do when I get another 306........probably cheap alternative again tbh.
Thanks given by:
Only things I buy from pug are oil filter and fuel filter, heard of pattern oil filters collapsing before
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
halfords trade card ftw, EU (not ecp) are always really cheap, ECP are alright for a few bits.

Dont tend to buy much from the dealer as everything I want they always have to order in, some things are so cheap from the dealer though

eg. went to get ambers C2 a mirror cap from the scrappy a few weeks back, he tried to sell me a 206 wing mirror (complete, wrong colour) for £20 as the caps are the same, and said i wont get anything cheaper. I swung into citroen on the way home and ordered the pair for under £5 brand new and in the right colour.. thats for 2 as well!
Thanks given by:
Total Quartz is shit anyway... It's not ester synthetic, and their Semi Synthetic is pants IMHO.

Why's there only a Cheap or Peugeot - not better than both of those lol...

I stick to Mann filters and usually Ester Synthetic oils... Gulf Competition 10w40 is what I normally use, I now actually use Aeroshell 5w40, but that's a long story, but it's fully ester synthetic...

For a HDi - just get a genuine Bosch fuel filter, the actual housing IIRC is a Bosch item rather than Peugeot's own.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
fuel filter i buy oem level bosch in ECP, because my cheap one let bits through into the hp pump and caused running issues.
oil I bought tripple qx, it's cheap and I can change it twice as often as a more expensive type
oil filter was cheapo, though I should have bought more expensive me thinks
air filter was cheapo
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
wheres the expensive alternative option?

usually go for quality over price tbh,

I drive shit old french cars being beaten within an edge of their life, they need all the help they can get!!
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
Never paid anywhere near that much from my local pug place. But yeah, what Ruan said. Fuel filter and oil are your most important bits, give the air filter a damn good hoovering, it'll be alright unless it's really wrecked.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I used UFI parts supplied by Opie oils on my last service, and would always look for better grades of oil over the standard pug recommended crap. 5w40 Gulf Competition Ester-synthetic fully-synth yOh!
The oil filter I've had kicking about spare since buying my oil cooler kit is a Mann one, so I'll be using that on the next service.

FWIW Fooby's also copied me now, so I have another 5l of that sitting beside my desk now as it all arrived today, with my spark plugs Big Grin

Tbh tech has come on since these cars were manufactured. There is an argument for "pug did a lot of research on the oil they used in their cars so its a risk using different" but I'm pretty sure Pug recommended oils wont last very long at 120Degrees+....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Good oil is good oil at the end of the day... If it holds its lubricating properties in greater extremes then that's a bonus... As long as you get it in the right range you'll be fine...

A good fully ester synthetic at 10w40 isn't going to do any worse than total quartz... Probably a whole lot better.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
I use genuine pug filters cos i get a discount at pug and having had pug filters side by side with supposedly good quality pattern ones the quality difference is vast.

Oil ill use whatever i can afford at the time. Cant really justify the £50 a bottle stuff when im changing it twice a year.
Thanks given by:
I buy all my things from the local factors, get good branded stuff where it counts like timing belts other than that its cheap shit and just keep on top of the servicing.
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 03:30 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I use genuine pug filters cos i get a discount at pug and having had pug filters side by side with supposedly good quality pattern ones the quality difference is vast.
+1 for Peugeot filters. Oil I buy elsewhere though.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 03:30 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I use genuine pug filters cos i get a discount at pug and having had pug filters side by side with supposedly good quality pattern ones the quality difference is vast.

Oil ill use whatever i can afford at the time. Cant really justify the £50 a bottle stuff when im changing it twice a year.

Why would you worry about the composition of the filter of you're not going to bother putting good ill in it? decent oil is essential imo specially as I know how you drive it... :p
Thanks given by:
I only buy Purflux oil filters (which are the Pug OEM anyway), and usually grab gearbox oil from Pug unless I'm putting something weird and wonderful in mine.

Anything else, I source elsewhere, the 1.4 is currently on Valvoline 0w-50 race oil....
Thanks given by:
I don't use anything else but Peugeot gearbox oil, the Total BV stuff seems to be the only stuff that makes Peugeot gearboxes happy, they whine like hell with anything else in and it makes them notchy... Why I really don't know...
Thanks given by:
The synchro's have some phosphor bronze content - it's VERY sensitive to the oil used as it can be damaged by certain additives and it's easy to make them far too 'slippery' to engage gear properly with HP additives in the oil.

Redline MTL works well too.
Thanks given by:
So..... mine whines like F**k because the last owner decided to use bog standard EP80w90, and ATF on the last two services then.... Confused

I think ill be getting some proper stuff tomorrow. Any recommendations please?

Ta Smile
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

[Image: Untitled.png]
Thanks given by:
I've got pug own oil and filter, and Bosch fuel filter. Car feels taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 08:25 PM)Ruan Wrote: I don't use anything else but Peugeot gearbox oil, the Total BV stuff seems to be the only stuff that makes Peugeot gearboxes happy, they whine like hell with anything else in and it makes them notchy... Why I really don't know...

just changed mine yesterday, total BV, feeling smooth so far, think old stuff was from the factory ....
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
Genuine Toyota 10w/40 Oil, Mills Autosupplies fuel & oil filters (cheapies).

Never really noticed any problems.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 11:04 AM)Matt Wrote: I've got pug own oil and filter, and Bosch fuel filter. Car feels taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap!

ninja
Thanks given by:
You lot seem to troll ed fairly regularly......... Tongue

Thanks given by:
Yep troll ed and abuse fooby it's in the rules when you sign up lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 02:48 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Yep troll ed and abuse fooby it's in the rules when you sign up lol
Don't tempt me...
Thanks given by:
I think I will like it here Wink

Thanks given by: