"Chirping" Aux belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Chirping" Aux belt
Near the top of the engine, there is a large pulley. I've no idea what this is attached to as I haven't had much of a look at the engine since buying the car (could be power steering pump?!)

Basically after a spirited drive down some b-roads yesterday the car developed this chirping which is constant regardless of speed (which led me to believe it was the Aux belt). Looking under the bonnet it's coming from the location described above.

Any ideas what it might be? Tensioner?

Father in law is going to crease up. 1 week in and I already need him to look at my French car because it's making a strange noise!

EDIT - have a video...

[Image: th_ffe5db0a.jpg]
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Yup, power steering pump. Could be a tensioner but tbh even if the pump bearing is on its way out, its a 15 min job to change it!
Thanks given by:
Cool beans.

Is there a how-to? And will I need to replace the whole power steering pump assembly for a new one?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I pretty much had mine off the other day when I attempted my alternator.

13mm spanner on the belt tensioner, (its sprung loaded so just pull it to slacken the belt) remove the belt, 3 or 4 bolts & it will come free, then there's one or possibly two power steering fluid lines that you'll need to disconnect (I guess they are the same connection as brake lines?) then it should be a case of reverse fitment.

Smile
Thanks given by:
I was going to say belt, but after watching the video it sounds more like a bearing. As Jordan says its a fairly easy job to swap out
Thanks given by:
Try spraying some WD40 on only the belt first, if that shuts its up then all you need is a new belt (maybe a tensioner as it may have got weak, but I doubt that)

EDIT: Oh theres a video lol what Dan said ninja
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Grease it up and drash on! Tongue
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
silicone spray is what I put on mine and it's shut up
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chirping!? Toms306 25 8,615 24-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Toms306