hammer time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hammer time!
... well thats what i reckon after a quick mock up of my turbo/manifold setup.

[Image: IMG_0795.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0791.jpg]

Its been ages since i've worked on the car though so i've lost track of how much room there is to play with behind the engine. I know it was fkin tiiiight with the standard k14 and bigger style manifold, so with this new 'big' turbo sticking out as it does... i think the bulkhead will need a lot of smashing?!

What do we reckon?
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Just from guessing after doing manifold gasket last week dont think theres going to be enough room there tbh

Im just waiting on getting my TD04 back from mates engineering place where its gettin fabbed up for me FOC Smile but tbh id really go for the other manifold which comes on T2 and then separate your turbo and spin inlet housing to suit angle but would mean moving exhaust elbow too so you tuck it down a tad more

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeh you will have some major issues with that, the compressor is just where the bulkhead is. The T2 mani exit is alot lower so makes the turbo sit much further down, and below the bulkhead. If you could put an angled adaptor between the turbo and mani, to space it out one side to bring the turbo down it will fit fine Smile
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yh the t2/k14 manifolds a gdshout CJ, and yes it does sit the turbo much lower and tucked in.. But i wont be able to use the wastegate then as i'm guessing there wont be room =/

What do we reckon Dave, think i'd get away by using the other manifold? Cba with making any angled adapters, i'll just live with a de wastegate albeit making my spool chronically shit =(

Also, while you're here mate, i ended up getting grind happy with the advance piston and took off a healthy 4mm from the spring side... Too much? I was aiming for 2mm but i think i secretly want to kill the xud off with cp's

Thanks given by:
Yeah my mates doing mine and hes been on the phone as he wants the flow of the adaptors to be as near as perfet as possible so it doesnt affect the turbo,

When you say you wont have room for the wastegate do you mean actuator?? as looking at the pics you need to separate the turbo as if m right the oil return is on the top of cartridge so you will be turning the inlet side anyway so you may find with T2 manifold and the turbo tuckin in and spun you may be able to squeeze the actuator in somewhere

as your wastegate is in the exhaust side so wont really be affected unless your elbow is restricting it but im not totally sure but the wastegate only opens fractionally but im sure someone will correct me

or you make a plate for your exhaust side to space it more from the wastegate then no restriction if you can fit actuator

CJ
Thanks given by:
Yes i meant actuator hah, the cartridge has been seperated from the hot/cold sides.. I just shoved them on for a quick check late last night hence the oil feed not vertical.

I have yet to study how the turbo will sit with the t2 manifold, i just assumed that the actuator wouldn't fit as most people using td04s with the t2 cant fit it due to clearance.

I'll check it out today and see what can be done, it will become apparent if theres any way it can be bodged on... if its too much fk about with the wastegate i'm just going to weld it as i'm loosing interest fast in the little shit, cheers CJ.

Niv

Thanks given by:
No worries pal

Im going to look into this actuator on the TD04 as not sure what to do may just get it welded but dont no the pros and cons of this yet lol and not sure if i have clearance either lol

keep us up to date fella
Thanks given by:
What turbo is that? depends on when it spools tbh, but in my experience I wouldnt bother with a wastegate at all. All my turbos have performed their best with having all exhaust flow past the turbine. I think your best bet for fitting that would be on the other manifold to be honest, it will move the coldside right down a bit. You may have to even angle it down more with the other one though, it is a bloody big housing, but the entrance to the hotside is so offset from the turbo so far it means it sticks out quite far... 4mm is fine, it will be limited by other things anyway Smile
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by: