Lumpy idle when cold also longer to start when warm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lumpy idle when cold also longer to start when warm
As above ive got lumpy idel when cold and when its warm/hot it takes longer to start than when its cold (dont take ages but takes like 3-4 more turns of the engine) any one no what the problem is?? Huh

Thanks given by:
Is it standard, or has any mods?

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
a sportex back box and a k&n pannel filter thats it

Thanks given by:
How many miles is it on? Sounds like it could be knackered pump and injectors, can't think of anything else that'd cause it...

Not really heard much of these kind of problems with HDi's before. No chance the timing could have slipped?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Coolant temperature sensor?
Thanks given by:
Ah, you thinking the ECU could be having trouble whether to run cold-idle or not..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
why could it be coolant temp sensor?? Undecided its done 156,000, not sure about timeing it had a new timeing belt at 152 thou (before i owned it) but it drives bang on pulls as it should no other problems, the lumpy idle dosent effect it in any way just annoying, and as for the starting it takes like 2-3 turns of the engine to start when cold then when hot would say 5-6 turns over just not sure why dosent really affect it in any way

Thanks given by:
before you crank it turn off and then on again prime the low pressure system
if things improve it may be the low pressure pump on the way out
Thanks given by:
I had the same problem with a fiesta, and the problem is related to temperature soo what senses temperature Wink
Thanks given by:
MAF senses air temperature on the HDI Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2012, 03:44 PM)cully Wrote: before you crank it turn off and then on again prime the low pressure system
if things improve it may be the low pressure pump on the way out

Ive done this no differance in starting time......

(09-08-2012, 05:47 AM)cully Wrote: MAF senses air temperature on the HDI

Could this cause the problem?? i will get a video up asap so you guys can see what i mean i think i may just be, being daft about the warm start takeing a bit longer........

Thanks given by:
i was poking at Tomw as i beleive he was eluding towards the coolant temp sensor

but try unplugging the MAF sensor and give it a go you never know could be the issue
Thanks given by:
Done a video see what you guys think

Cold start with lumpy idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiKLD26Og5Q&feature=plcp

Hot start taking longer to start than when its cold (some times take longer maybe a few more turns)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqXH4KgtgsI&feature=plcp

Thanks given by:
dont think you have a problem with hotstarting sounds ok to me!
Thanks given by:
Hot start in that vid only takes one more crank than the cold start...?

See what you mean about the random idle though, never seen that before, not on a 306 at least.

No-one seems to be putting any more theories forward so will have to work with what you've got for now or pay to have it professionally diagnosed.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
some times takes a couple more turns than that wasnt warmed up to normal temp

Thanks given by:
Low pressure pump is worth checking (check for fuel leaks in the engine bay)?

Mine did similar although not as bad so I OCD'd and replaced the lift pump straight away Tongue
Thanks given by:
I dont know much about Hdi's, but that idle looks fuel related to me
Thanks given by:
I'm assuming she's well serviced etc, fuel filter isn't ruined..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(12-08-2012, 06:39 PM)Poodle Wrote: I'm assuming she's well serviced etc, fuel filter isn't ruined..?

I changed the fuel filter around a week ago not made any difference it was very dirty tho and needed changing, The lumpy idle doesn't make any difference to the car just annoying if your sat on tick over, if i drive of straight away as soon as ive started it doesn't make any difference to the way it drives......

Thanks given by:
Check the coolant temperature sensor...

Yes, the MAF detects the air temperature into the engine, however, there's 3 coolant temperature sensors on a HDi, and there is a map to relate coolant temperature to IQ and SOI IIRC the blue or green one should be the one to the ECU IIRC. Brown is Bitron unit.

It could be sensing wrong and assuming the engine is hot all the time and running more retarded timing, causing the lumpy running.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2012, 08:19 AM)Ruan Wrote: Check the coolant temperature sensor...

Yes, the MAF detects the air temperature into the engine, however, there's 3 coolant temperature sensors on a HDi, and there is a map to relate coolant temperature to IQ and SOI IIRC the blue or green one should be the one to the ECU IIRC. Brown is Bitron unit.

It could be sensing wrong and assuming the engine is hot all the time and running more retarded timing, causing the lumpy running.

Were is it?? is it the one were the thermostat housing is?? if i just unplug it if it sorts the problem then i no it thats??

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  reducing warm up time and increacing cold day running temp madmadmax 8 3,372 26-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Ruan
  cold hi idle pug306driver 4 2,015 25-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Last Post: C2K
  Warm Weather? JTaylor2005 4 1,808 23-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Toms306