HG Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HG Issues
Sad 
Heard a hissing earlier, had a look and there's orange from the rad cap Sad

Tightened the head bolts a bit, but it's still pressurising.

I know it could be the Head gasket, or warped head but is there anything else I should look for?

Going to do a compression test before I lift the head, just to check, but I guess that's pretty trivial lol

Also, I assume it'll be OK to drive as long as I loosen the rad cap every time I park, to stop water going in the cylinders.
Thanks given by:
is the water bubbling over excessively? take the cap off and run it for a bit
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
It is yes.

Just driving it home then, after 2/3 minutes, the low water fuel light kept flashing on and off, but there wasn't silly amounts of water that had escaped. So filled it up and after about 40mins of driving, it was still near enough full, the level went down a little.

I didn't exceed 40mph and engine temp didn't rise above 70, is there some kind of point where it gets to and then just drains for the fun of it??

Massive explosion of water though when i released the cap!
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2012, 06:52 PM)c.gerrard Wrote: the low water fuel light

lmao

I'm not helping am I...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
lol WOOOPS

Deffo low water, I would be very worried if the low fuel light was on!!
Thanks given by:
Could be just an airlock try bleeding it to see what happens.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Surprising how reliable these things are even with a blown head gasket!, get it done, but should be alight to pootle about in for a while. Ruan has silly blown head gasket and still rags it everywhere lol!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Long as you don't let the head fill with air, you're fine...

Keep your heaters on hot pointing at your hands, when they go cold - STOP. That's because the head now has no cooling and has filled with air and you need to pull over and re-bleed the system.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ok, cheers for all the advice.

Just want to rule eveything out before having to lift the head. It's a new head and gasket that's been on for no longer than a month!
Thanks given by:
Have you had a decent look at your rad? i would lose shit tonnes of water with my old rad :L

worth pressurising the system
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 10:39 PM)c.gerrard Wrote: Ok, cheers for all the advice.

Just want to rule eveything out before having to lift the head. It's a new head and gasket that's been on for no longer than a month!

How long after having 'New Head and gasket' did this problem arise? who did the work? was the head pressure tested?

when you take cap off and rev it does it bubble a lot?

does your heating get very hot, as if your heater matrix is blocked ive had mine get these symptoms again and had to have another gasket as Ruan has mentioned in the 'do not bypass heater matrix thread' it created hotspots in the head

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's happened about just over three weeks after it's been fitted. Jonny (on the forum) and myself did it all, all done to the letter of the law, so to speak haha, so don't see how that should be an issue! No, never got the head pressure tested.

Yes, there are a lot of bubbles.

Heating isn't out of the norm, not fiddled with anything heater matrix related.

The rad is amazing condition, stumbled across a mint Nissens one in the scrapyard.

Tried pressurising the system as well, but that hasn't worked. It's amazing how much rust and crap there inside the system!!!
Thanks given by:
Have you checked the rad cap. I thought mine had gone again but turns out the cap wasnt sealing properly allowing water to come up out of the drain pipe.
Worth a look anyway.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
What were symptoms last time head gasket went? Should have got head pressure tested if you done it by the law lol as these heads can be a nightmare if theyve got to hot

can vouch for londondan86 though ive thought hg once and turned out to be cap shitty metal one caused problems replaced for oem plastic one and give a good flush with dishwasher tablets and bled up using a ribena bottle fits in res and lifts hight of the water level to get all air out once stat opens
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, tried three different caps on!

(15-08-2012, 01:52 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: can vouch for londondan86 though ive thought hg once and turned out to be cap shitty metal one caused problems replaced for oem plastic one and give a good flush with dishwasher tablets and bled up using a ribena bottle fits in res and lifts hight of the water level to get all air out once stat opens

Don't think you'll find that method in the Haynes guide haha.

Last time the HG was blown between the water jacket and a cylinder.

Yeah should have done, but MEH, more moneys I guess.
Thanks given by: