Inlet Manifold Removal Issues due to EGR Valve

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inlet Manifold Removal Issues due to EGR Valve
As a couple of you may know I started doing my FMIC today.

The FMIC is all mounted and fits behind the bumper which required hammers, angle grinder and black hammerite. I still need to make mounts but thats an easy job.

My problem is I've removed all the inlet nuts from the studs and have tried to slide the inlet off which is rubbing/hitting the EGR valve. Dave's kindly suggested I put the nuts back over the studs and double nut them to then take the whole studs out. After doing that to all of the 6 studs should then allow the manifold to effectively slide right out upwards. The only problem with this is its tight down the back (and the engines already dropped forward) and getting the nuts done up enough to get another nut on seems impossible as if there isn't enough thread on some of the nuts to actually fit two nuts on. Also when you've only got chunky 13mm spanners and a chunky halfords socket set it's tricky to get them done/undone and takes a lot of time.

Also I would obviously just remove the EGR vavle (which is two allen key heads) but both have already been kindly rounded off for me.

I'm hoping someone can tell me theres a magic tool for removing rounded off bolts so I can nip into town and buy it tomorrow morning. Tongue If not then just a suggestion on how to remove them. There isn't really space for a grinder or drill down there.

I'm going to also try buy some bolts that use a 10 or 13mm head to replace these silly studs with if I can get them out. Also some thinner nuts if I can find them so I can try and get two on.

Heres a couple of pictures for anyone interested:

1) Fitting FMIC behind bumper

[Image: th_IMG_1277.jpg]

2) Fitted behind bumper
[Image: th_IMG_1278.jpg]

3) Engine how it stands
[Image: th_IMG_1279.jpg]

4) Car how it stands

[Image: th_IMG_1280.jpg]

As always help appreciated, thanks to people who have already helped.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
even without the egr valve it probably won't come off, the studs need to come off. If the manifold is tight against the block then two nuts should just fit on, I've done the studs with two nuts a few times now.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Use a pair of grips to get the studs out, what I've always done
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 09:51 PM)Connor Wrote: Use a pair of grips to get the studs out, what I've always done

Gonna have to buy some tomorrow!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
You don't have any pliers? Lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Get some stilsons on the egr valve bolts if they are rounded off, they will literally undo almost anything.
Thanks given by:
I got the inlet off no problems and there's even less room down back of a 306 if the problem is the bar that runs across the inlets by the egr get a chisels and chisel it off its only soft ally that's what i ended up doing with mine
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Sorry man, I'm not avoiding you, I was driving when you first rang and you finished off my battery, then I had a busy night and left my phone on charge in the house, so in all honesty I haven't actually had chance to read your message yet as I'm at work again (have been since 8AM ) and I kinda forgot you text lol ............. Undecided

but as said above, just unscrew the studs, or failing that MTFU and remove the EGR valve, pliers, plumbers pliers, stilsons, mole grips, anything TBH, and why do you still have an EGR valve on there anyway? Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I forgot to respond too!!

You've got to get those studs out, get some 13mm nuts that are slim and you'll be able to do it... That's how I always have, its a bit of a cockend to do... But it can he done!

Ruan x
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust and inlet manifold spacers and studs andyyy 1 1,117 15-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  oil from the EGR valve (into the manifold) toseland 4 1,163 21-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Last Post: toseland
  XUD Inlet manifold studs Tom 19 4,057 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Ruan