custom air intake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
custom air intake
alright chaps i've been thinking about making/buying a custom air intake for the d turbo to help air flow as there is soooooo much pipe work going up and down in sizes and the flexi bit of the intake can't be any good for air turbulance so i thought i would ask you guys for help/advice or thoughts on the idea, thanks in advance Smile

edit* only thing ive found so far is to get a piece of copper pipe and bend it to the same route as i would like the air intake and take it to an exhaust fabricator to make it out of exhaust tubing......any other ideas?
Thanks given by:
Just use the thiner 2.5 inch pipe you use for IC and silicone bends?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
yeah could do was thinking of trying to route to the o/s of the engine to bypass the pipe which goes over the back of the inlet manifold as this must restrict it a fair bit as it's reduced due to the lack of space between block and bulkhead, but as theres a huge lack of space on this side im not sure and as i've got no abs (as you know lol) i have space for a custom intake with some kind of air filter so been thinking of my options
Thanks given by:
TBH mate, you can squeeze so much more power out of it yet before the size of that pipe becomes an issue i wouldnt even be worring about it at this moment in time

Obv just do somthing from the air box pipe forward for now

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Cut the airbox down pipe off and stick a cone on it behind the headlight.

Alternatively stick a 2" silicone U bend on the turbo inlet.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
You'd be surprised...

It's just so difficult to make it better, most people give up...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 02:42 PM)Ruan Wrote: You'd be surprised...

It's just so difficult to make it better, most people give up...

I'd happily pay £25 for some decent flexi pipe that could withstand the suction so I could route it in front of the bay by the pump like JP. Just can't find anything trust worthy to use..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
1. slacken jubilee clip where intake pipe joins the turbo,
2. remove all of the intake piping, place into bin
3. stand back and marvel at your new, restriction free, intake system Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 03:12 PM)mark_airey Wrote: 1. slacken jubilee clip where intake pipe joins the turbo,

Myself and others don't want to have to change the block every 30k due to debre.. It's ok for some!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 03:37 PM)silverzx Wrote:
(02-08-2012, 03:12 PM)mark_airey Wrote: 1. slacken jubilee clip where intake pipe joins the turbo,

Myself and others don't want to have to change the block every 30k due to debre.. It's ok for some!

plus one Smile
Thanks given by:
ebay reinforced flexi, job done. although on standard turbo get a good replacement filter leave it as it is.

don't go for cone if you can help it as you won't have a proper enclosed cold air feed then
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 05:17 PM)kernow_joe Wrote: ebay reinforced flexi, job done. although on standard turbo get a good replacement filter leave it as it is.

don't go for cone if you can help it as you won't have a proper enclosed cold air feed then

Something like this would surely shit itself and get sucked in?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280754065007?
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290747181247?

Especially at the approaching limits of a T2 / larger turbo (T25/TD04L).
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
http://www.hoseandhydraulicsgroup.co.uk/...ation.html

Then decide what temperature range you fancy, reasonably expensive stuff, but it's fecking good... It's what I used to use... IMHO you'd want to make an adapter from turbo inlet size up another half inch at least, so 2.25" to 2.75" or 3", then use the hose, you can then guarantee no restriction.

That goes up to 12"ID.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Scored bores from no air filter? No problem, just replace the bores with some new ones! Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
T2 and T25 outlet is 2"/51mm I thought? If that is the case a 2">3" adapter could be plonked on, followed by a very short (2-4") piece of 3" alu/stainless and then clamp onto that some ducting and direct it to the air filter.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Me and ginge changed his so that there is a u bend off the turbo, then an adapter to make it larger,squeeze under the inlet Mani then along to gbox and round.
Might get a little warm there though lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
There just isnt the room to get a good sized feed up from the turbo to route an airfilter.
I ran with no filter for a long time but ive since stuck the old piping back on.
Thanks given by:
why not fit a mushroom filter on the turbo then a cold feed from the front? or make an upwards scoop to push air up?
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 06:08 PM)Dave Wrote: Scored bores from no air filter? No problem, just replace the bores with some new ones! Wink

Like you have ever kept engine internals inside the engine long enough for this to ever become an issue, the engine normally has a large hole in and its insides spread across a road somewhere long before you would need to start worrying about trivial things like that lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2012, 10:36 PM)Joe Wrote: why not fit a mushroom filter on the turbo then a cold feed from the front? or make an upwards scoop to push air up?

There isnt enough room for a mushroom filter that would be big enough to not cause a restriction.
Thanks given by: