Boot Popper Wiring...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot Popper Wiring...
Right Mo'fos, anyone care to point out any problems with my amazing wiring diagram I plan to follow for my boot popper switch?

I want two switches, one internal (on the dash) and one external. Handily, I have labelled these (poorly) as Sw 1 Ex. and Sw 2 Int.

See diagram...

[Image: ff66a777.jpg]

Apart from the obvious missing in-line fuse to separate this system from the interior lighting circuit, can anyone think of anything I should add?

I've got two momentary switches and a Solenoid (handily named, Sol. in the above diagram) the Solenoid has two connections, positive and ground. I'm guessing that by applying 12V to the correct terminal will make happy things happen and open my boot.

The dashboard-mounted switch will be on a constant 12V. Now the only thing which really concerns me about this is that if I feck it up I could potentially drain the battery. Maybe.

Do I need say, a diode between the first and second switches? This will mean that when both circuits are closed, and say the interior lights are on, (ie. Mrs C.A.R. presses exterior button whilst I press interior) will terrible things happen? Or would it just blow the fuse I plan to put between the battery and the interior switch?

I have a GCSE in electronics, a load of wire and a soldering iron, and I'm not affraid to use it.

Any advice chums?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
why not use a remote one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REMOTE-BOOT-TR...3a5e2547fe
Thanks given by:
sounds like a good idea to me, but why do you want an exterior switch?
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
For my interior one I used a heated rear window switch, popped off the frosted cover, sanded off the transfer then put it in backwards.
This was mounted below the headlight adjuster next to the airbag cut off. I used an ignition live from the headunit to power it also.

For the external one I'd take a feed straight from the rear light so when its getting power to be illuminated it will power the external switch.
It may be worth fitting a diode in line to prevent the current flowing backwards.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
interia light on a ph3 ramps up and down powered from the bsi unit, you dont want to overload the electronics in there
or you will release the genie controlling the magic blue smoke!

for the rear what i would do if your central locking works!

take a feed from one of the rear indicators and through a push switch to the solinoid

then when you unlock the carwith the fob the indicators flash so push the button on the hidden switch and pop goes the boot Wink
Thanks given by:
Ah indeed, forgot about that, maybe use the light as a trigger for a relay that way it'll only be drawing a small current?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
indicators are powered through a relay already Wink
Thanks given by:
One you get this sorted post some photos, i was planing this but have no idea how to go about it
Thanks given by:
I'm a bit reluctant still to get an external switch.

Mainly because of this BSI nonsense, I don't want to screw my central locking up.

Also the location of a switch. I don't want a de-wiper but it seems like the most obvious location. Going to wire mine up this weekend anyway, I'll take pictures along the way.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
All you need to do is use a N/O relay being switched by interior light but as fully said, it's a ramped voltage so the relay will make a horrible noise and the BSI and relay probably won't last long.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2012, 09:31 AM)cully Wrote: interia light on a ph3 ramps up and down powered from the bsi unit, you dont want to overload the electronics in there
or you will release the genie controlling the magic blue smoke!

for the rear what i would do if your central locking works!

take a feed from one of the rear indicators and through a push switch to the solinoid

then when you unlock the carwith the fob the indicators flash so push the button on the hidden switch and pop goes the boot Wink

i was thinking that you could wire it to the indicator live. ive thought about this many times... mainly when i have to go inside to open my smooth boot! Problem ive always thought of is that the solenoid is in the boot lid... so how do you get the wires through the boot lid? and also is there a live in the boot lid that could be used? Can only think of heated window and the upper brake light which i presume only receive power when they need it? So to wire indicator to the button youd have to go up through the C pillar along the roof lining and then somehow get it into the boot lid grommet and then down the boot lid to the solenoid area D:
Thanks given by:
That's what I did mate, took about an hour!

I think there are pictures on my project thread. I ran some speaker wire (red/black) so I could have a positive and earth. Works like a charm now!
Thanks given by:
Theres an amazing guide on boot popper and smoothed boot in the guides section. If your down london way ill even wire it up and make a rod for you for a couple of cans of fosters and a peanut kit kat chunky. I can/will do it at ace if you want.

Cos for some reason im feeling nice

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-2159.html

the photos need sorting as they all jumped about in the move
Thanks given by:
wire it into the indicator live? brilliant so your boot opens every time you lock, unlock and indicate? could get a bit tedious
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
^^^ What?!?! If your refering to my post i wired it to a wiper live then added a switch so it was only live with the ignition on and when you pressed the switch so a thief couldnt get into your boot without turning the iginition on.
Thanks given by:
I used a permanent live on mine in the end. Must be a real PITA having to open the door, put the ignition on, pop the button, turn the ignition off again just to get in your own boot!

If someone gets close enough to open the boot using that switch I'd say the security of your car would have already been compromised...
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2012, 08:05 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: ^^^ What?!?! If your refering to my post i wired it to a wiper live then added a switch so it was only live with the ignition on and when you pressed the switch so a thief couldnt get into your boot without turning the iginition on.

no i was talking about Srowells post.
Personally, id just have it on a permanent live running via a relay operated by the central locking.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(08-09-2012, 09:42 PM)Niall Wrote:
(08-09-2012, 08:05 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: ^^^ What?!?! If your refering to my post i wired it to a wiper live then added a switch so it was only live with the ignition on and when you pressed the switch so a thief couldnt get into your boot without turning the iginition on.

no i was talking about Srowells post.
Personally, id just have it on a permanent live running via a relay operated by the central locking.

obviously a switch to pop the boot when the indicator comes on. Would be very silly if it opened on every corner!
Thanks given by:
Still can't work out what you mean lol.

I guess an easy way to do it would be off of the door pin and associated solenoid, then you avoid screwing up the BSI unit...
Thanks given by:
Chris do you want me to do it for you?

I can wire it to a remote key fob if you want.
Thanks given by:
I'm sorted now mate, it's set up similar to how yours is in the guide except running off a permanent live with separate 10A fuse.

Would be nice to have it open off the key remote like on my (dare I say it) Focus keyfob, but opening the door and pressing a button is hardly a chore.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  good auto electrian or help wiring alarm and poss boot popper 306newbie 8 4,352 21-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Willo
  Boot Popper MiiTCH 4 1,591 11-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Battery in boot and fan wiring studturbo 2 1,327 07-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Niall