247 to 283 GTI 6 front brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
247 to 283 GTI 6 front brakes
Will the GTI callipers bolt straight onto the standard 1995 d turbo hub ?

will i be able to be use the same flexi hoses?

what is best procedure to go about changing the brakes?
Thanks given by:
Bolt straight on. I think you might need different brake lines. It's been a wile since I changed mine. Someone will correct me.
Thanks given by:
Will need longer hoses also 15" wheels min. Try get the master cylinder also otherwise there will be a lot of travel as I sure the piston is bigger or whatever. Best was from previous is get a garage to change them as the unions seem to fuse themselves to the hard lines
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
I have Uprated Goodridge Front Braided brake hoses which i believe are longer.wil these be ok with the gti6 callipers?

is it best to go for girling or lucas?

How important is it to do the master cylinder?
Thanks given by:
Don't see why you need longer hoses, my standard length were fine.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Master cylinder is not important but it will just give that bit better feel in pedal.
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
I mayb wrong but im sure i have read some where that you need the bolts off the gti calipers as the 247mm bolts are diferent length.
I may just be having a blond moment tho Big Grin
Thanks given by:
you don't need longer flexi's and you don't need the master cylinder it's fine, also you may need some washers as i thought the bolts were different length but i think it may be slightly different hubs or something instead . . . .mine are fitted with spring washers, i got some gti6 bolts though and they were the same . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
AS above really, straight fit but you may need some washers for the bolts but cant really remember, hoses are fine but soak the unions in WD40 for a couple of days before you do the switch.
I didn't bother with the master cylinder and have no problems at all.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
i swapped my 1.8 266mm brakes for gti ones and it was a straight swap. Master cylinder is the standard one so you dont need to change it!
Thanks given by:
The bolts are different lengths, but thats only a problem if you dont bother to clean the threads out in the hub!

Hoses are fine.

Master cylinder is optional and better, but adjusting up the rear drums will make a bigger difference
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
if i get the bolts when getting the callipers off a gti 6 should that be ok? is this the length of bolt that is required?

by bolts do you mean the 19mm ones that hold the bracket to the hub?
Thanks given by:
yes the 19mm ones that hold them on. if you get the gti6 ones then you wnt need washers. but if you cant get any washers work just as well lol.
Thanks given by:
Master cylinder is good too, but if you don't have it as long as there is decent disks and pads on there you will be fine!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
KrisB how do you adjust the drums?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(31-07-2012, 10:50 AM)silverzx Wrote: KrisB how do you adjust the drums?

im not KrisB but you adjust the drums by taking the drums off and adjusting the shoes out a bit
Thanks given by:
I believe the drums have a self adjusting mechanism?

Am i right?
Thanks given by:
(31-07-2012, 10:39 PM)306 d turbo Wrote: I believe the drums have a self adjusting mechanism?

Am i right?

yes, but years of getting clogged with grime and they often don't work without cleaning and CAREFULLY oiling them up lol . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Identify these front brakes.. Dazecoop 14 2,771 21-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Elfyno
  Front brakes binding but no usual heat signs MY95 12 2,039 27-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Last Post: MY95
  Gti6 brakes on front, drum on rear MarkHam 5 1,789 13-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31