HDI em pee gees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI em pee gees
(02-08-2012, 11:39 AM)Ruan Wrote: Noo, just cruising in a Diesel it barely needs any airflow to cool it down... Even a petrol tbh!

Remember the cooling system is fully capable of hauling a trailer up a hill in 32*C heat all day long without overheating.... Cruising at 70mph, there's literally no thermal load on the cooling system...

Oh ok then, it was a petrol on the ad I think (you know the one 'the power of a 1.6, with the mpg of a 1.0') so I assumed it'd sit at like 2.5k at 70 (long time since Ive owned a petrol, so probably wrong lol). Didn't realise that'd barely create any heat though - always learning stuff here! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(01-08-2012, 11:19 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I manage to get through £60 of fuel a fortnight somehow......that would be £90 of fuel in a '6 and I simply can't afford or justify that much extra.

The GTi6 is really horrible on fuel for what it is really.

I used to average 26/27mpg in mine. I guess it's just an old engine and not so efficient vs modern stuff...

HDi tuned nicely with all the nice bits can get close to being like a GTi6... the biggest thing you want to avoid to have something that feels more GTi6 like is turbo lag or too much mid-range torque...
Linear delivery and instant delivery gets you near GTi6 pace relatively cheaply (avoiding big torque means you can avoid expensive clutches Big Grin )

Dave
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2012, 11:45 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: Done my mpg agin to day after filling up ive got 41.58mpg now is my car broke?? lol or is it just cos im doing a hell of a lot of stop start miles (50-100 stop start miles a night) ??

Stop-start mileage destroys the mpg on these, even driving like i do i'm struggling to get beyond 50mpg on my commute - 7 miles of traffic lights, roundabouts, junctions and traffic with a 3 mile chunk of motorway in the middle.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I averaged 42-44mpg in my HDi... as soon as you stop cruising the mpg gets pretty poor really.

High speed cruising and it's not good either.

60-65mph mainly cruising is where it's at if you want 50mpg+ really...

Dave
Thanks given by:
Changed back to an economical driving style for the last couple of weeks and just got the results from the last 3 fill-ups: 58.2mpg.

So yeah, adjust your driving and you'll see results. Anyone who's been in my car will tell you i'm not exactly a slow driver, so it doesn't come at the expense of too much fun either. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its surprising how you can drive like a complete bellend a few times in a tankful and still get a decent average, I did 49mpg over a 50 mile drive last week lol (was having a bad day, mpg went out the window....) BUT still averaged 62mpg over this tankful when I got fuel yesterday. Smile
Thanks given by:
Just done my first 'tankful' and managed 52mpg right off the bat.

Stage 1 map, in need of a service (indicator says within 650 miles)

Driving was mostly my daily 18 mile commute (both ways) and a long trip down to Alton during which I got stuck in traffic on the M25 for 2 and a half hours. Pretty shocking, considering I had the fans on, the stereo blasting and didnt turn the engine off in stationary traffic!

Best I managed in the Focus was 44mpg doing the same journeys.

Before anyone comments, calculations were made on filling up to the click, then calculating miles travelled from fuel used Smile (ie properly)
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
get around 550 miles to a tank, since i had a service i get around 600-630, if i use bp ultimate diesel i seem to get around 700, Also i really don't drive economically.
“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
one thing alot of people forget is tyre pressures and running the correct wheels/tyre profile for your car. does make a difference.
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2012, 05:17 PM)Popeye_6 Wrote: one thing alot of people forget is tyre pressures and running the correct wheels/tyre profile for your car. does make a difference.

It doesnt make much difference unless theyre really out tbh, I used to do mine EVERY week with refuelling.........then left them for about 2 months as I was fed up with car at that point (one dropped to 25psi, one at 30psi and two at 34psi) no change in mpg, and again no change after I'd pumped them up. I'm sure it does make a difference, but it's noticable for me anyway.

Weirdly it also didn't change between 15s with ballon tyres and the 16s I have now.

Temperature and driving style really do seem to be the major factors in noticeble mpg changes.
Thanks given by:
100% of my weekly driving is all town stop start rag and i get around 40-45mpg, for me this is win,
I do drive like a granny when we go out for trips and stuff and can easily get 60+ driving at 55-60 on the m-way
Thanks given by: