HDI em pee gees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI em pee gees
what kinda mpg does the hdi's usually get?
i was always under the impression it was only slightly more than a dt around 55mpg on a cruise?
Danny says his done nearly 1000 miles on a tank! :O
worked out to be 69.938 mpg :o are they really that much?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If you drive carefully you get insane mileage!

If not, mine won't really go below 42mpg in general day to day thrashing.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 12:26 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: what kinda mpg does the hdi's usually get?
i was always under the impression it was only slightly more than a dt around 55mpg on a cruise?

I honestly doubt it! A NAD 106 you would maybe get 70-75mpg from, a 306 that weighs a heap more than a 106 with a 2L engine............I very much doubt. Something smells funny.............that or he has done about 3-400 miles being towed by someone/on a flatbed Rofl
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I averaged 64mpg on a run to north wales and back. Pretty much all motorway at 60-65mph
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 12:34 PM)mark_airey Wrote:
(30-07-2012, 12:26 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: what kinda mpg does the hdi's usually get?

I honestly doubt it! A NAD 106 you would maybe get 70-75mpg from, a 306 that weighs a heap more than a 106 with a 2L engine............I very much doubt. Something smells funny.............that or he has done about 3-400 miles being towed by someone/on a flatbed Rofl

I do drive my nad fairly hard, but have yet to get less than 55mpg... I'm sure more is possible if you actually drive like a granny...

70mpg from an hdi I would almost go as far as to say is impossible!

And Phil, your dt really wont be far off an hdi in mpg if you're gentle with it too...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
The 106 is wank and mechanical IDI though lol.......mine averaged 67mpg.........the golf with 2 times the weight, AND 3 times the power averages 65mpg lol, NADs really arent that good on fuel comparatively!!

In Danny's defense, he did say it was a long cruise somewhere and all motorway. I'm still sceptical, but it doesn't seem impossible if you think about it. 60 litre tank, plus 5 litres in the filler neck, over 970 miles would be 68mpg. Easily achievable for a heavy golf on a run so I can't see that it would be impossible for a 306.
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 12:37 PM)Ed Doe Wrote:
(30-07-2012, 12:34 PM)mark_airey Wrote:

yeah i know, i have seen 55mpg just lol but have never done a granny drive lol, just didnt think the gulf was that big hahah

I do drive my nad fairly hard, but have yet to get less than 55mpg... I'm sure more is possible if you actually drive like a granny...

70mpg from an hdi I would almost go as far as to say is impossible!

And Phil, your dt really wont be far off an hdi in mpg if you're gentle with it too...
yeah i know, i have seen 55mpg just lol but have never done a granny drive lol, just didnt think the gulf was that big hahah
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I thought turbos made diesels more efficent , when you're driving in that style of boringness so to compare with the nad is a bit tricky

I'd be interested to see if a rallye style strip out and an eco map could help tip the hdi over the 70 mpg mark , could save a few pennies when doing the cross country driving by me lonesome
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 12:39 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The 106 is wank and mechanical IDI though lol.......mine averaged 67mpg.........the golf with 2 times the weight, AND 3 times the power averages 65mpg lol, NADs really arent that good on fuel comparatively!!

In Danny's defense, he did say it was a long cruise somewhere and all motorway. I'm still sceptical, but it doesn't seem impossible if you think about it. 60 litre tank, plus 5 litres in the filler neck, over 970 miles would be 68mpg. Easily achievable for a heavy golf on a run so I can't see that it would be impossible for a 306.

But Tom, you've got a vnt, and completely different gear ratios than an hdi, so you're comparing chalk and cheese...

You can sit at ridiculously low revs comparatively, and have to use less throttle to get places due to the instant spool.

pd engines are newer tech than hdis.

And I'm sorry but 'the 106 is wank and mechanical idi'; expand? It's old tech, but it's very good for what it is. Labelling it as wank is just ignorant considering people buy economical cars to save money. I bought my nad, taxed mot'd and insured it for about 1/4 of the cost of your golf. Now here's a challenge Tom, calculate how may cobwebs will have to form under your accelerator, and how long your beard will be by the time the additional 12mpg your golf gets over my nad will actually offset the ~£2500 extra you spent on your car in the 1st place... Let alone the turbo changes/gearbox changes/mot/tax/insurance costs...

And I bet I have more fun in the nad than you do in your golf Wink
Thanks given by:
Tom... 67mpg out of a mechanical, NA, IDI is absolutely amazing really... The Ricardo Prechamber was developed in the 1960s and 1970s...

The PD EUI system was invented in 2001... Nearly 30 years of Diesel technology and they dropped 2mpg by putting it in a heavier car, but with much better gearing... If advancements carried on like they should, a PD TDi should be doing 70-80mpg...

My car used to do about 55mpg day to day, 60mpg on the motorway...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 01:22 PM)lolsteve Wrote: I thought turbos made diesels more efficent , when you're driving in that style of boringness so to compare with the nad is a bit tricky

I'd be interested to see if a rallye style strip out and an eco map could help tip the hdi over the 70 mpg mark , could save a few pennies when doing the cross country driving by me lonesome

My 'new' turbo doesn't even bother waking up till 1800rpm+.....so it won't change the efficency as I don't rev it that high until I'm booting it. Dodgy

(30-07-2012, 01:39 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: But Tom, you've got a vnt, and completely different gear ratios than an hdi, so you're comparing chalk and cheese...

You can sit at ridiculously low revs comparatively, and have to use less throttle to get places due to the instant spool.

pd engines are newer tech than hdis.

And I'm sorry but 'the 106 is wank and mechanical idi'; expand? It's old tech, but it's very good for what it is. Labelling it as wank is just ignorant considering people buy economical cars to save money. I bought my nad, taxed mot'd and insured it for about 1/4 of the cost of your golf. Now here's a challenge Tom, calculate how may cobwebs will have to form under your accelerator, and how long your beard will be by the time the additional 12mpg your golf gets over my nad will actually offset the ~£2500 extra you spent on your car in the 1st place... Let alone the turbo changes/gearbox changes/mot/tax/insurance costs...

And I bet I have more fun in the nad than you do in your golf Wink

Something as epically slow and really light (I can lift a corner off the floor and I'm not exactly strong lol) as the NAD should have much more mpg than that IMO. It has a reasonably small capacity, but waste's a lot of fuel/energy due to being IDI and mechanical, it probably WAS good in it's time (for people that aren't bothered by speed at all lol) but not really now, it isn't my fault peugeot were stuck 20 years behind VW lol. Yeah I paid £2k for my golf (so you were paid to take your NAD away I assume), but you can get them cheaper.... Dont forget the golf costs less to tax than the NAD, less to MOT than my NAD after seeing its service history lol and only an extra £10 a month for me to insure (both as standard). If I wanted a slow, 12 year old car for lots of mpgs, I'd more than likely go for a polo TDi or similar, for such a small amount extra to pay, the NAD's really aren't worth buying these days imo, unless they're mega cheap, at £450 I think I paid I far too much for mine!!

I will agree with you on one thing though, the NAD was fun to drive, but only because I could start it with my foot flat smoking out my street, then rag the f*ck out of it every morning from cold, fill it with scrap/rubbish/mess etc without giving a crap about it and not bothered about scrathes or dents either. But taking corners, braking or high speed certainly wasn't fun in it! They're still more fun in the golf, and better still in a 306.

(30-07-2012, 02:52 PM)Ruan Wrote: Tom... 67mpg out of a mechanical, NA, IDI is absolutely amazing really... The Ricardo Prechamber was developed in the 1960s and 1970s...

The PD EUI system was invented in 2001... Nearly 30 years of Diesel technology and they dropped 2mpg by putting it in a heavier car, but with much better gearing... If advancements carried on like they should, a PD TDi should be doing 70-80mpg...

My car used to do about 55mpg day to day, 60mpg on the motorway...

Dropped 2 mpg average yeah.....but in a much heavier car due to lots of comfortable stuff and also saftey/emmisions crap that the 106 didn't have, with an extra .4 of a litre capacity, bigger/wider wheels, and a non aerodynamic shape with a horrible dead air vaccuum space behind the back end etc etc. But still, 3 times the power, twice the weight - theoretically the golf mpg should be a lot worse than 2 below the NAD then! But really the PD engine (the mk4 one anyway) is now old as well - yes it meters fuel better than the NAD and even the HDi, calcultes really anal things like fuel temperature etc to get the maximum possible efficiency it could acheive.................but unfortunately diesel progress seems to have slowed down and almost stopped now. Petrols are getting so much more effiecient with GDI and both super/turbo charging to small engines, they're now probably quicker and more efficient than our 10+ year old diesels. I'm sure VW could easily make a 200bhp, 80mpg diesel - but they won't, not for now anyway. Undecided

Something to think about - I wonder how many MPG you'd get with a mapped PD150 in a 106.
Thanks given by:
I got 730 out of the 1.4 on a tank doing long runs without being particularly gentle with it, so that out of a HDi isn't unbelievable if driving like my nan.

(30-07-2012, 04:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: and a non aerodynamic shape with a horrible dead air vaccuum space behind the back end etc etc.

I'd do some more reading on aero if I were you Tom....Angel
Thanks given by:
Just thought I'd add that iv had my HDi nearly a month now n still haven't filled it up again Big Grin done over 550 miles (not drivin like miss daisy) and still got well over 1/4 of a tank! Much better than my old scooby where I'd b lucky 2 get 250 miles out of a tank! lol anyway I drive all sorts of brand new cars n I must say the new petrels hav over taken the new diesels! Don't get me wrong ther still good but the 1.2 tsi and the 1.4 tfsi petrol engines are miles better, you've got 70mpg on just a normal cruze but have the torque 2 embarrass much bigger cars lol
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2012, 12:37 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: I averaged 64mpg on a run to north wales and back. Pretty much all motorway at 60-65mph

IIRC I did very nearly 60mpg on my FCS weekend. Ok, we kept it slow on the way down, but on the way back we went over the moors, and I wasn't being what you'd call "slow"

The main trick to MPG in my experience is maintaining a smooth speed, this really pays off on A roads. You can really cover ground by holding a slightly slower speed that allows you to corner without letting off or braking (most corners obviously some are the exception), rather than accelerating out of corners to then have to brake for the next one.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
i get 44mpg out of a tank most of the time and thats being spireted along by my right foot most of the time but have had as high as 52mpg on a long run
Thanks given by:
Iirc it was about 940 miles, the car had 65 litres in it and I went over 300 miles to Pembrokeshire and back, and basically all motorway
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm averaging 55mpg atm, though got 64 when I first started driving the HDi
Thanks given by:
Tom the response you've just given highlights your lack of comprehension of either mine or Ruans points. Therefore I see the argument as irrelevant.

and for that reason, I'm out
Thanks given by:
Can i point out that everyone who poo-poo's HDi mpg has never actually owned one, or, if they have, clearly didn't know how to drive it. People who repeat that it's all down to the gearbox and it's barely better than a dt don't know what they're talking about. The best i achieved was 72mpg from a tank on daily driving (ie not a motorway run), that was properly going for the economy though tbf lol. Still, pretty impressive what you can do with them if driven carefully and a bit of knowledge about where the fuelling gaps in the map are. I could get over 60mpg without trying that hard, so i'm sure anyone else can too if they work out how to drive it for that effect, Jonny's got the gist of it. ^^^
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
LAlalalala I'm not listening to Poodle! Tongue

cars are to be driven not nursed
if your worried about economy buy a bicycle
Thanks given by:
(31-07-2012, 08:14 AM)cully Wrote: LAlalalala I'm not listening to Poodle! Tongue

cars are to be driven not nursed
if your worried about economy buy a bicycle

im in your camp Cully! I get 26mpg and I dont care Rofl
Thanks given by:
All these people saying there getting 50mpg+ dont no how you guys do it, im a take away delivery driver and i adrvage 42mpg on my old 106 1.5d i was getting 54.5mpg on deliver's some times regret selling the 106 as i used to get 350miles to around £30-35 in this 306 same mileage £45-55 So its costing me £20 more every time i fill up and with me filling up twice a week works out to be costing me alot..... is my 306 broke returning 42mpg (its standard apart from back box and panel filter) used to own a stage 1 206 hdi and that was alot better mpg so thinking i may get more mpg after i get it remaped

Thanks given by:
(31-07-2012, 04:15 AM)Poodle Wrote: Can i point out that everyone who poo-poo's HDi mpg has never actually owned one, or, if they have, clearly didn't know how to drive it. People who repeat that it's all down to the gearbox and it's barely better than a dt don't know what they're talking about. The best i achieved was 72mpg from a tank on daily driving (ie not a motorway run), that was properly going for the economy though tbf lol. Still, pretty impressive what you can do with them if driven carefully and a bit of knowledge about where the fuelling gaps in the map are. I could get over 60mpg without trying that hard, so i'm sure anyone else can too if they work out how to drive it for that effect, Jonny's got the gist of it. ^^^
Ive owned both at the same time the hdi wad only slightly better than the 170+bhp dt with hdi box. Have you owned a dt with hdi box :p the dt was so much fun fun i couldnt drive like a granny for a whole tank though to properly measure. Years ago i got 85 from our octavia but it was fookin tedious doin 45 on the motorway!

Actually mate my hdi is a van and though the wieght would be better empty i think it has a shorter box the rev counyer dont work but it does feel a bit shorter......
Thanks given by:
Town driving really is what kills the MPG on the HDi's though, when cruising down the motorway the gauge would barely move but then once you hit town and traffic it screws the MPG so much
Thanks given by:
Con, bear in mind that diesels get more efficient the more you tune them, so at double stock power i'd be expecting better mpg than normal. Pretty sure you're right about the box on the vans too, seem to remember the one i drove was screaming at 80 lol. The car i got 72mpg from was effectively on a stage 1 map with some very minor lightening work (maybe 30-40kg lighter than standard) and generally in excellent condition, most of it's in the driving though.

Tips for good mpg (for anyone interested):

- When coasting in 4th/5th, DON'T take it out of gear.
These engines don't inject fuel at all when coasting in top gears, so keep it in gear, whereas if you take it out of gear it needs to inject fuel to keep the engine at idle.

- Tune it.
Efficiency goes up with tuning, in particular: remove restrictions from the exhaust; sack off the EGR; lower the car and refit the undertray if you haven't got one already.

- Keep the car in good condition.
An engine with fresh oil and filters will have less frictional and pumping losses; a good chassis will mean all the wheels point in the same direction and roll unrestricted (think binding brakes, knackered bushes, tracking, etc), reducing friction; believe it or not, clean bodywork causes less air resistance, so keep her clean.

- Drive smooth, keep momentum.
Plan as far ahead as possible: if you see a corner coming up then use the engine braking to slow down (remember it's not injecting fuel), same for junctions; leave plenty of room between yourself and the car in front so you've got plenty of time to react without wasting energy; if a car in front of you (doesn't have to be immediately in front, look further) starts indicating then ease off the throttle, may mean you don't have to brake at all and by the time you catch traffic it could be back up to speed.

When i was doing research into this, I found driving style makes the biggest difference, unsurprisingly. Some of the ways to improve economy weren't so obvious though, wouldn't have known about the 4th/5th gear thing if someone else hadn't told me. The condition of the car makes more of a difference than you might think - i've gained nearly 6mpg on my current one, just by servicing it and sorting out my beam, brakes, tracking and bushes.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(31-07-2012, 09:47 AM)con67 Wrote: ....but it was fookin tedious doin 45 on the motorway!

Wow, I feel people are all givin g me evils at 60mph on motorway, 45 must be illegal lol!

(31-07-2012, 09:51 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Town driving really is what kills the MPG on the HDi's though, when cruising down the motorway the gauge would barely move but then once you hit town and traffic it screws the MPG so much

Same with any car really though, I did town and back twice (50ish miles) in one go last week (dont ask lol) without any actual town driving and got 82mpg lol.....but as soon as you hit traffic thats it, thats why I try to keep moving even if it means taking a longer route, to avoid traffic.
Thanks given by:
I don't think it's just 4th and 5th poodle, pretty certain in ANY gear as long as it stays above like 1500rpm then it won't inject any fuel when off the throttle in gear
Thanks given by:
O Rly? Interesting, will have to do some testing with pp2k some time and find out for myself. If that's true that's even better! Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yup, as long as the wheels are turning the engine over more than it would be elecronically governed to, the injectors are switched off. Smile I often roll down hill in 3rd in town, it keeps to about 30mph and uses no fuel. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(31-07-2012, 01:40 PM)Poodle Wrote: - Tune it.
lower the car and refit the undertray if you haven't got one already.

Whats that got to do with emm pee gee?
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by: