What is this noise? (XUD)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this noise? (XUD)
Exclamation 
Started the car up today and out of the blue its making this strange noise from the pump & surrounding (possibly belt) area. I'd raised the LDA starwheel up even more then usual so put that back thinking it might help (which it didn't).

The car makes the noise on start up and then generally when you rev the engine.

I've attached a video, if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr40/...040146.mp4
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
take the Aux belt off and try it again to rule that out
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2012, 01:53 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: take the Aux belt off and try it again to rule that out

Aux belt, cambelt etc were done less than 5k ago. Still worth doing?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Im saying just to disconnect it, so that it rules it out. it sounds more like the turbo, but could not be sure with out being there
Thanks given by:
Ah ok well might do that if no one else has suggestions. Pretty sure turbos fine, defo sounds like it's coming from the pump.

Funny that it does this the day after I take the TMIC off to fix the leak off pipes. :/
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Could just try squirting the aux belt with some wd40 if your too lazy to take it off.. Just to rule it out.. I always thought the turbos sound like a police siren when they're spinning (when they're broken ofc) it cant be the turbo because the noise dies off again so quick, the turbo spins for alot longer than that...
Thanks given by:
As said, pull the AUX belt off and see what the story is then
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Spraying the aux belt as it's running makes the noise go away. Does that mean it needs replacing? It was done not that long ago! Cheers for all your help guys!! Smile
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Without listening to the video, id say it was one of the bearings, probably the tensioner, hopefully not the alternator or pas pump
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeh I woulda put that down to AUX tensioner...
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Should be ok to continue driving until I replace the tensioner though right?

Next problem: New part or scrappy run. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
No, ideally not. If it ceases up, it'll likely snap and it could get wrapped around the cambelt. It's not worth the risk really but it's your call. In all fairness it'll probably be OK but it's that risk factor... Keep the revs down if you decide to drive it.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Got a new aux belt and tensioner to fit tomorrow. Anything I should know about removing/fitting the tensioner?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Dead easy, just make sure you do the AUX belt up properly and not too slack/tight. Should be able to twist it 90 degrees if it's tensioned right. Make sure those allen bolts are done up nice and tight to stop it coming out (don't strip the head tho!).
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Piece of piss mate, i didn't even need to jack my dturbo up when i had to change it
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What should of took 15 minutes ended up being over an hour battle with the aux tensioner adjustment screw as it rounded off. Eventually I finally got the c**t off and had a spare one lying around in one of my tubs. Phew!

[Image: rounded.png]

After spending £55 on a new tensioner and belt it turned out to be the belt had skipped a tooth on the (don't know the exact name) largest pulley toward the back of the block.

[Image: auxbelt.png]

Left the current belt on there even though it looks a bit worn as it was only put on there less than two months ago!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by: