Project T Phase 2.5 Diablo DTurbo...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project T Phase 2.5 Diablo DTurbo...
Nice to see this is still alive! The scuff hurts though lol
Was a hdi box so if you have to replace it if 5th is fubar that would be like for like
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Standard mod, knew it was an HDi box anyways lol, been looking at boxes delivered for about 120-150 from ebay. The scuff and roof lacquer peel will be repaired in time (already have diablo paint and repair materials) repair work will follow a f*cking good clean
Thanks given by:
A great look!
Thanks given by:
Well, I found 5th but unfortunately its now sitting in a bucket hahahaha.
I'm thinking replace the 2 stripped gears depending on how bad the magnet looks.
Have there been problems with other gears getting stripped bearing in mind this will most likely hitting 140-160 hp in the future.

Anyway, some pics of the carnage.
[Image: 20150511_185318_zpsu5o7yfbz.jpg]

[Image: 20150511_184231_zpsa5mjzpye.jpg]

[Image: 20150511_184218_zpsa9avp0rm.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Haha its a while since I've seen a 5th like that.
Thanks given by:
So the deh-80prs arrived today pics later and a sound test
Thanks given by:
So I decided to go networked with the speakers, that means I lose the rear speakers as the tweets use that output.

Whipped up an adaptor cable as I don't want to go chopping up the original loom
[Image: 20150513_210450_zpsyktqalfs.jpg]

[Image: 20150513_210506_zpsdp8cnr0x.jpg]

Removed the door panel to disconnect the X-Over
[Image: 20150513_210541_zpslwapxnkj.jpg]

New wiring for mids with some extra protection Wink
[Image: 20150513_212957_zpssiskv9vq.jpg]

[Image: 20150513_212814_zpstout20t8.jpg]

At this point it was about 10-10:30PM so getting a little late to be at work still so just did an auto time correction and auto EQ, sounds good so far. Video to come later.
Thanks given by:
You on this good on you
Thanks given by:
As promised

https://youtu.be/PtyrbVR4AVM
Thanks given by:
Video won't load
Thanks given by:
Try now. Set to unlisted before
Thanks given by:
Still no joy
Thanks given by:
So we got 2 smashed BMW Mini HID head lamps at work, not tested them but I got a working bulb,ballast and lense set at home off a TT. I see a retrofit happening at some point in the future Wink
Thanks given by:
Before people start giving me crap about HIDs and them blinding people this is because they aren't in the proper HID specific projectors, this retrofit is using all original HID gear and will be properly aligned later. Yes I know they are not self leveling or have headlamp washers but the latter is an option later.

So as I said before Mini HIDs. Here's the story, we had a mini come in that had been sandwiched in an RTA and the smashed lights were still in the car, this thing sat for ages until we did anything with it but the headlights some how (honestly I don't know how) ended up in the workshop so I found these recently during a clean up and promptly disassembled them for the ballasts and HID projector lenses.

In total it took about 3 hours from a fully assembled headlamp to get to this stage
[Image: 20150522_211437_zpsjjqupxar.jpg]

[Image: 20150522_211556_zpskhf8kn8k.jpg]

So then it came to powering up the HID lamp, FAIL... didn't work, at this point I'm thinking 'meh I still got the other one' so attempt to get it to light, FAIL... now I'm thinking 'f**k I just ruined a completely good headlamp' so call it a night and bring the ballast and bulb setup home with me. 
So today comes around and I have feck all to do by 2 in the afternoon and I decide to piss around with the bulbs and try get them working. I go to pull one of the setups out the bag they were in and I see water in the bag now I'm thinking wtf how did that get there, so pull one of them out and water starts coming out of the plastic housing.

This is what I'm dealing with, 2 waterlogged ballasts
[Image: 20150524_191602_zpsexqypfch.jpg]

After washing and cleaning I have managed to resurrect one of the two ballasts and it happens to be the one for the side that is already fitted so I'm going to try and find the TT setup I have somewhere in the house for the ballast as I want to keep the same type lenses together.
[Image: 20150524_210318_zpschmg0fef.jpg]
Thanks given by:
interesting...
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Any update on the hids?
Thanks given by:
Yea got one ballast working but had to buy a universal one for the other side. May go into work tomorrow to do some more work on it
Thanks given by:
Time for an update me thinks. Still not finished the HID job yet as I need to find some shrouds to fit the lenses due to light seepage onto the original reflector, also it looks pants without them. A mechanical problem has been found but its not major (to me) in the form of the bosch leaking but a £15 seal kit will sort that. I have been doing other stuff with it though as I had a shopping spree on eBay recently, this included audio stuff, a Ram Air filter and an Injen hydro shield. I love free but try not to skimp when I have to so here come a freebie job, back to black rub strips

Before

[Image: 20150629_182901_zpsl1yrbqrq.jpg]
[Image: 20150629_182920_zpsfvdhwjpy.jpg]

During

[Image: 20150629_183524_zpspfhzhhoh.jpg]

After

[Image: 20150629_190201_zps5pgldhqa.jpg]
[Image: 20150629_190154_zpsz2hzozte.jpg]
[Image: 20150629_190245_zps10iw3md2.jpg]

Also I ordered a Pioneer GM-D8604 4 channel amp for the front speakers (yes thats mids and highs into a 4ch) but they sound great now just need to fit the sound deadening material now which I'm most likely doing this evening then play with the X-Over points at some point.

[Image: 20150630_203713_zpsijbfjccx.jpg]

Thanks given by:
I know it goes without saying really - but for others who may not be aware of how dangerous these are!

Be insanely careful playing with HID Ballasts - especially taking the lids off - they run at a very high voltage and frequency - this means that the spark can jump a surprising distance - more than you'd imagine and really can give you a very nasty shock and burn - they start at about 25kV and run at about 400V the ballast will output quite a hefty current also during warmup - this is enough to cause very nasty burns simply from the spark and break the skin, transmitting the current through your body - during startup the voltage and current involved is easily enough to kill if you get the current to the wrong places - it'll most certainly throw your hand away with a nasty, deep burn to go with - remember electrical burns on the surface that don't look like much are usually MUCH more serious under the skin where it's wetter and conducts better Wink

Even when powered off, they are likely to contain reasonably large capacitors, good quality OEM ones will have discharge resistors, but cheapy ones are likely to have no discharge resistors and can hold lethal amounts of charge for weeks after being powered off.

Please be extra careful with them!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Don't worry Ruan, I know exactly what I'm doing with HIDs but I'm sure this is just a warning to others Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah, as said, it's more a warning to others, it seems easy as pie, but one false move with them can turn quite bad!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Update time again. I have finally bitten the bullet and given up with the BMW mini xenons and gone for a kit as it's nigh on impossible to find any shrouds for the HID units I currently have fitted to one headlamp, forgot about the shroud and they got thrown out. So what kit did you go for some may be asking, well this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400931758555?_...EBIDX%3AIT bit expensive yes but it has BI-Xenon high/low beam and has halos which will replace the side light as it is covered by the HID assembly.

Another one is I thought the radio reception was a bit pants with the bee sting antenna so got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141255992495?_...EBIDX%3AIT, worst £7 spent EVER as I had it all fitted before I realised it was worse than before, this particular one requires a 16mm square hole to be cut into the roof  Dodgy so I have decided to get a glass mount autoleads job instead as I'm sure it will work better than the fin POS. That said I'm very tempted to fill in the hole that will be left when I remove the fin from the roof as the whole roof needs repainting anyway.

Don't think I have mentioned it but TLT-1B I have installed doesn't seem to be getting an accurate lock so have on order a TK103B so will see if that makes any difference. The TLT I pulled out of a car a few years ago by request of a customer as it had been used as an insurance box most likely for speed monitoring

When the lights are done I think a new siggy pic is in order  Big Grin

So I said I had a little shopping spree so heres the rest of the stuff I ordered

Ram Air filter and Injen Hydro Shield
[Image: 20150705_1812401_zpsuqm4slow.jpg]

[Image: 20150705_1814021_zpsu9acx9o7.jpg]

[Image: 20150705_1906001_zpsgmlfxqoo.jpg]

[Image: 20150705_1908051_zpsumczlegi.jpg]

Also I have 'sealed' the door panel and OMFG the difference in the low end is night and day now. If anyones wondering yes I did grease the window reg cables before it got sealed, talking of window reg that was the horrible rattle from the passenger side.
[Image: IMG-20150704-WA00061_zpsts5lxzjp.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Been rather busy with work recently and not had much time for playing with the car.

So the HID retrofit kit arrived around a week after I ordered it which was very fast in my opinion.
This is what you get for £73.15 fresh out of China but I'm not happy with the HID bulbs/ballasts as BOTH flicker but I haven't had an opportunity to diagnose the problem
[Image: 20150722_200146_zpssytcn8vo.jpg]

After spending an evening fitting one in an unmodified headlamp
[Image: 20150728_215358_zps1bnlfotn.jpg]

[Image: 20150728_215345_zpsoa3hxgwb.jpg]

But me being me it looked too plain, a bit meh, like nothing special, so out came the sand paper and rattle cans and spent about an hour on it
[Image: 20150729_184555_zpsu7yw4zz9.jpg]

[Image: 20150729_184530_zps4f8bgici.jpg]

After temporarily fitting the housing back together this is the final product
[Image: 20150729_191517_zpsnvwwcxv1.jpg]

[Image: 20150729_191605_zps4uuq9swy.jpg]
A lot better IMO.

The keen eyed will have noticed the puddle that has formed on the ground, now I knew the Bosch was leaking slightly on diesel but after consuming about 5 litres of sunflower oil its done exactly what I thought would happen, its found a weak and perished seal which happens to be on the injection head and its got progressively worse to the point now where if I move the car I leave a distinct trail. I had a look underneath and its dripping from the sump at about 1 or 2 drips per second so I currently have the pump off the car and have replaced all of the seals apart from the shaft seal as I have not had time to do that one yet. Just hope it doesn't leak again as I accidentally nicked a tiny bit off the injection head O-ring but I have put some sealant around the affected area although I want to take the head off again to double check the cam plate as it fell out and forgot to check the keying as it went back in. One thing that I'm a little worried about is the pump has got noisy since the oil went in the tank but I think this may be down to low internal pressure from the leak.

Anyway thats enough rambling for now from me, next post will either be finished lights or about how the pump is f*cked lol
Thanks given by:
If anyones wondering I still have this, just not had the motivation due to rather important things happening the past 12 months.

Looks like the drivers door loom is fecked as it has decided it doesn't want to stay locked remotely but will lock fine from the drivers door lock including deadlocking so will price a loom repair from peugeot and see how much they want to ra*e me. Might pull the other light apart and get it ready for spraying and mounting the other lens after work one evening.
Thanks given by:
Loving your build!

How did you do it with your speakers, when you lost the rear ones? Did you connect the tweeters directly to the rear speaker output? Dont you need a filter(no idea if you call that little box you usually get with speakers that have tweeters seperate filters, but hope you know what I mean Tongue ) to level fix the power they get?

And also, is your ram filter mounted where the original box used to be? Does it take in alot of water down there?
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the interest Smile

Can't remember which channel the tweeters use but yes I have lost the functionality of the rear speakers as the tweeters use one channel and mids use the other channel therefore a crossover (filter) is not required. Using an amp like I have its VERY easy to turn it up too much and permanently damage the tweeters in a matter of seconds unless you have a good ear like me. The air filter is in roughly the same place as the standard filter but it should be fine as the Injen Hydro Shield has been proven by the honda boys to be very good with not dragging water up the intake unless of course you drive through a puddle and forget you are in a 306 not a 4X4
Thanks given by:
ah, ofc you run it off an amp. Didnt think of that. I thought you ran it on the cars original wiring Smile
My country is a giant puddle a couple of times a year, so don't think I could use a filter setup like that. I wish though, probably sounds good!
Thanks given by:
Its difficult to explain but basically there's adapters and extra wiring to use the tweeters on the original wiring with some heavy gauge speaker wire for mids. One day I might pull out the stereo to do work with it and if I remember I will get pics of how its wired.

As long as you are sensible and don't go through water that is up to the air box then I wouldn't see a problem. Yes it does sound good and will sound better when the TD04 goes on
Thanks given by:
Good to see this is still alive and getting some love, nice work. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
New update since like 3/4 years ago, I'm still alive, still got the car. Replaced driver's door loom with a genuine new part from ebay which was about £70 and have another for the passenger side that I may do in the future if I can be bothered. Finished the other headlamp with the bi-xenon kit and it looks really good. Lacquer is pretty much shot throughout mainly the roof and have sanded most of it down but more has appeared from sitting but will get around to doing it when I get the car back to London from Southend where its sitting. More pics when I get it back hopefully in the next few weeks, have some pics of doing the loom but nothing else on my phone at the moment.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Another DTurbo Project Hobo Ash 11 4,968 04-10-2017, 07:32 AM
Last Post: TommiePuglet
  Bianca phase 1 Dturbo Curt 76 23,996 15-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Last Post: partybish
  Blue 306 dturbo s project Logue1996 13 4,402 14-08-2017, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Logue1996