FMIC set up help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FMIC set up help
Don't adjust the boost until you have the cooler on!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeah, but don't turn it up without a remap to match!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yeah intercooler has been on for a week now and just can't see how someone can get their hand in such tight space.
Thanks given by:
You need the intercooler if youre going to turn the boost up. You dont have to go stage 2 once youve got the cooler on, bu it seems daft not to, youll have done the hard bit then anyway lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
When my HDi was stage one with the FMIC, had the boost at around 17psi and it went well even with that!
Thanks given by:
Did you take the engine out to upper the boost?
Thanks given by:
Urmm nope, just used a long 10mm spanner and adjusted the actuator took all of about half an hour from start to finish including putting in on and off the axle stands a few times
Thanks given by:
Oh ok. Will have to get it up and get my hand in.
Thanks given by:
If you lie on your back looking upwards then it's a lot easier, once you see where the actuator is it's easy to see how you adjust it Smile
Thanks given by:
I can sort of see it but the air filter pipe goes right over it so it's hard to way.
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't do :S
Thanks given by:
Iirc, there is a bracket you can take off, and unplug the oil feed pipe to the turbo. Taking them off makes access for adjustment easier. You can probably leave the bracket off for a quick smooth road test, just don't let the car shake around too much... obviously DO refit the oil feed pipe before a quick test drive to check the adjustment, and DON'T forget to refit the bracket once things are ok Big Grin

You can adjust boost once FMIC is on, but the mapping also boosts fuelling, the higher the mapping the more boost you'll make. A standard HDi makes about 15psi on 90bhp mapping, but with 120bhp mapping and an FMIC it'll make about 16-17psi, and then with 150bhp mapping probably 17-18psi, so the adjustment is only tweaking it up a few PSI really.

MBC is a pain to fit. I don't really see the point in them as they just lag the turbo wastegate response and make them boost spike more, and the last thing you really need on these cars is ALL that torque coming in suddenly as it just makes the lower gears even more useless. Once in the higher gears you have 'acceleration' lag (ie, revs can't rise that quick vs boost), so the presence of the MBC's lag isn't really noticed.

Handy to tweak up, but how often are you really gonna tweak boost once you've got it right?

Also lots of failure points. Costly. Also really bad if you snap the boost take-off or inlet on the compressor housing or wastegate actuator body, as it's a turbo/engine moved/out job to get the turbo out and fix it all properly (seen it done opps!)

Dave
Thanks given by:
So just turn it up to 17-18 psi then bang a remap on it? Can I still use a standard clutch (NEW) as I won't be abusing it that much as iv always got my 10month old son in the car? How much do you cost for a stage 2 whippy?
Thanks given by:
A new standard item will probably be ok if you dont abuse it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
My brand new standard item has been fine so far.. held 270lb ft on the dyno no problem
Thanks given by:
Happy days then. Defo getting under the car tonight to have alook at finding that arm on the turbo keep putting it when I finish work but got an early finish so will update when iv had alook. Will be posting some pics up next weekend as my car is going White next week Smile
Thanks given by:
I thought you were trying to sell this car??

See it about all the time, I'm the idiot in Crewe with the red/yellow d-turbo lol
Thanks given by:
I was yeah but can't let her go lol. Not sure if I seen your car. How do you know it's me?

Have you got bright bright bright yellow wheels lol ?
Thanks given by:
Yes he does lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: