Glowing embers?? Exhaust

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glowing embers?? Exhaust
Right so i have a boost leak and therefore its smoking its titties off lol, but happened to notice last night lots of glowing embers being thrown out the exhaust didnt really affectr power or anything but havent had this before could this be high egt's seems to boost about 22 psi in 5th buit drops off in lower gears fairly quickly

Cheers thought it could be pieces of turbo or exhaust lol
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just soot. Nothing to worry about.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Yep as jake says. Basically it's catching fire and looks epic! But nothing to worry about. It burns itself off eventually anyway
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Though I can assure you your EGTs were well over 1000*c to be doing that...

Be careful, becuase aluminium alloy melts at around 780*c.... And that's what your cylinder head is made of....

You'd shit yourself if you got an EGT gauge... The slightest hint of smoke on boost sends the EGTs sky rocketing past 900*C....
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2012, 09:27 AM)Ruan Wrote: Though I can assure you your EGTs were well over 1000*c to be doing that...

Be careful, becuase aluminium alloy melts at around 780*c.... And that's what your cylinder head is made of....

You'd shit yourself if you got an EGT gauge... The slightest hint of smoke on boost sends the EGTs sky rocketing past 900*C....

O.0 probably need to be sorting my fueling out then.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Thats fairly warm! :o
Thanks given by:
Ooooooooo that's a little warmer then I thought! Jeezusssss!!!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
yeah ive been reading a fair few of your threads Ruan, and thought this myself but slightly backed off a bit due to reading about excessive egts and didnt want to warp anything,

think i may have found a possible boost leak and the manifold is leaking, so looking at these when i finish work and hopefully will be able to lose smoke on boost all together or have a slight whisp Smile

Thanks for replies guys
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That is on a pissy bine though ruan, I have an EGT gauge now, and it never really went past 800c's, and I had fireballs coming out the back....
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I saw PompeyMarks car doing that when we where driving back from Ace Cafe
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
What's a safe, reasonable level for EGT's?
Thanks given by:
700 is SAFE on long hauls, 800 is safe on hauls that arnt 2 minutes long, 900 probably pushing short, 1000 is a few seconds, 1100 is very very brief peak! past that for any more than a few seconds will probably lead to bine melting terratory, but obviously if you have a pissy bine you will heat the blades quicker AND have higher EGT's due to backpressure, and if you have a large turbine, then less pressure and all round lower EGT's. Its a circle which is which big turbo's dont break... and pissy GT15's always die. Its swings and roundabouts, and will always depend on what turbo you have. I have a chunky T28 which never peaks above 800 after several minutes of abuse, so just depends on that judgement.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by: