HDi Clutch Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi Clutch Change
Question!?
Put back together today but she won't start. We know the cam shaft sensor got damaged a little bit when the thrust bearing when. Could the sensor be stopping it from starting. Here's pic of the damage.

#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thats the crank position sensor btw, not the cam. And its possible that could stop it starting, but iirc its only like an electromagnet type of sensor so I'm not sure if that small amount of damage would do anything or not.
Thanks given by:
Ah yeah, i forgot to plug that back in and the car would'nt fire up, it just turned over, plugged in and it fired up straight away.
Thanks given by:
Well I've changed it but still won't start. Been told to bump start it. So going to tow it out the garage and try.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Are you sure you have everthing plugged back in to where its ment to be?
Thanks given by:
Yeah weve checked everything. Just sorting a laptop out of mine so I can run elm on it.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY! Big Grin

Found the problem lol....

[Image: RowellsEstateCluctch077.jpg]

[Image: RowellsEstateCluctch078.jpg]

[Image: RowellsEstateCluctch079.jpg]

Yeah that used to be the release bearing...had a good guess when we moved the box and a lump of twisted metal and several ball bearings came out haha.

Anyway, between us we got the box off, I changed the clutch and release bearing and we replaced the 'box all in a couple of hours, if that! Thought that was supposed to be the hard part lol!? Confused

[Image: RowellsEstateCluctch081.jpg]

So yeah, new shiny clutch is on, 'box is back in and we have a clutch! Yay! Ran out of time to put everything else back but thats the heavy stuff done just before Sam goes back to Uni, so I'll try and get on with this myself. Smile
Thanks given by:
Nice one tom. Be carefull not putting it back together might not start again Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Lol, yeah, I've seen yours is still broken! Sad
Thanks given by:
Nope. Clutch works fine! Smile. Just doesn't want to start. Plugged it in and got glow plugs come up. Found out there's a relay near gear box. Don't know if you've seen it? I think we've caught it or something.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Don't remember seeing it tbh, shouldnt stop it attempting to start though surely. Confused.
Thanks given by:
Don't know but I'm willing to give anything a go.

My worst case senerieo is when gear box jammed with the engine cam belt skipped a tooth and fueling at the wrong time.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
yeh epic work today. Getting the gear box back on seemed a lot easier than getting it off! The bar across the bay with a rope is definitely the way forwards as you can lift it up and down really really easily! Foam on the floor to rest the box on is also a good idea!

Big thanks to Tom and hopefully he can get it fixed!
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2012, 08:17 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Don't know but I'm willing to give anything a go.

My worst case senerieo is when gear box jammed with the engine cam belt skipped a tooth and fueling at the wrong time.

Don't follow that statement at all. You've got a 50% chance of the splines meeting each other, it's quite common to have to turn one or the other but i fail to see how you would have managed to skip a tooth. I suspect you have sensor issues with crank or cam.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Ok dude cheers. Going to actually try and replace the sensor with a new one instead of second hand.
If the sensor was off would it stop the car from starting? Even bump starting?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
The engine only gets two signals to tell it what to do and when to do it, this is cam and crank sensor. Ordinarily most engines will function with one faulty, but if both are gone it won't normally do anything as although you're cranking - it hasn't got a clue what's going on as it can't determine engine position.

I would have expected a fault code related to cam or crank sensor though. Any codes?
Thanks given by:
No codes for either just
throttle sensor
Glow plugs
Egr.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Well the EGR you can dismiss as one presumes you have disconnected it. Glow plugs are irrelevant in temperatures above freezing.

I would have suspected a fuel rail pressure fault from a lazy pump preventing starting but seemingly not so. Throttle position sensor is tricky, i've had dubious fault codes on mine twice because the sensor had corrosion inside the plug (green fuzzy shit) which needed cleaning. Would suggest unplugging it for the sake of it and checking the connector.

Have you had the battery off for any length of time? Have you disturbed anything else in the bay? I'll go read the thread now.
Thanks given by:
[Image: fooked.jpg]

That was mine Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Battery has been off dude. Also nothing as far as I'm aware other than cam shaft sensor has been disturbed. Seriously need this sorting missing my car more than my 3 year relationship.

I'm pissed.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Quick question - does anyone know the part number for the bottom ball joint > hub (pinch?) bolts and nuts?

Apart from those and some gearbox oil dont think theres anything else we'll need. Problem is, its taken so long I've forgotten what we took off!

'Think' I've made a pretty comprehensive list of stuff to put back, can anyone thats recently done thiers just check to make sure I havent missed anything obvious:-

• Speedo drive
  • Flywheel cover
  • PAS pipe bracket
  • Coolant heater bolts
  • Reverse light switch (plug in)
  • Gearbox earth point
  • Gear linkages (Probably cable tie these on to make sure!)
  • Starter motor
  • Driveshafts (inc. intermediate bearing bolts)
  • Bottom ball joints and pinch bolts
  • Gearbox oil refill
  • Battery plate/tray/battery
  • Airbox and piping
  • Brakes and wheels

Cheers!
Thanks given by:
We didn't need anything dude just gear oil.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Yeah but I might have ruined our pinch bolts lol....
Thanks given by:
swampy does them, pm him, otherwise, dunno
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Don't want expensive posh ones lol, just the standard ones. Smile
Thanks given by:
haha tbf, they're probably much of a muchness cost wise

got service box? sign up if you dont, its freedeedoobywoobydizzle

Thanks given by:
I do but I'm lazy and on my phone atm lol, will have to do that tomorow if no one knows the part number though.
Thanks given by:
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy

Thanks given by:
Let me know if it starts when your finish haha!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Haha, your glowplug relay wire wasn't the problem then? I'm really hoping it starts! Confused
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDi clutch change bokus 10 3,319 20-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Last Post: bokus
  anyone want to change my clutch? no2lurch 4 1,598 08-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Last Post: no2lurch
  clutch cable change. alex-r 0 1,252 24-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Last Post: alex-r