Rear trailing arm bearings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear trailing arm bearings
I have just done the trailer arm bearings and i measured the distance between the shock bolts to make sure i set the correct height upon refitting.

got it all back together and put shock bolts at same distance apart,

but it seems to that the rear end is now alot lower Undecided

What could be the possible causes of this?
Thanks given by:
just a guess, have you had the torsion bars out?
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
If you've had it all apart, hopefully you cleaned and greased it all before putting it back together so half an hour should enable you to set it to your desired ride height. You've probably just put it a spline or two off on refitting
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
^^ this, you probably just lowered it more lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
1. did you measure the heights AFTER you had release the shocks? I.E after taking at least one end off?

Never measure it out whilst shocks are still on

2. I always find it better to stick masking tape on the rear quarter and draw a line on it , then measure from the top of the spigot to your line on the masking tape, then write your measurement on the masking tape

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
yep did measure shock absorber height after both left and right of the shock ends was off.

cleaned and gresed all the splines and made sure that the shock ends were at same distance before and after but still seems to be lower.

I dont understand how its lowered itself as i kept the shock distances the same upon refitting.

Also i checked this morning and it seems to of stiffened up the rear?is this common?
Thanks given by:
Ah i kniw what it is then. You must have re connected the ARB under tention. Making it drag the tailing arms up making it lower. I done this on my DT when fittin my gti ARB on it but one side was alot higher. Try taking the ARB end off again and putting back on without having to jack the trailing arm up or down.

Thanks given by:
ive had both the end plate bolts off and the arb end caps are free as in they dont swivel round when the bolts came off?
if left like this will it effect handling ?
Thanks given by:
Yes you will have no anti roll atall by not putting the 2 13mm bolts in you effectivly have no ARB

Thanks given by:
Yep ive done all the checks and i believe im a spline off- as its lowered about 30 mm on the rear

I have just put it all back together-so unlikely to raise the height as it sits just fine.

Are there any serious negative consequences of lowering?

Also i have noticed that the rear end now seems to be stiffer than before.
Thanks given by:
not really. you will kill OE shocks fairly quickly as it will reduce the travel. but easly fixed with some lower shocks, this is also prob why its stiffer. iv alway found the lower they go the stiffer they get. never really made much sencw to me why this is.

but yeah it will ve fine if its only 30mm

Thanks given by:
Thanks

What lower shocks would you recommend for the rear?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressing in trailing arm shafts Ben 5 1,362 03-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ben
  Trailing arm pin removal. Danny Wideboy 6 2,025 20-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Daniel306
  rear hub bearings jays306 5 1,592 15-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Last Post: bigtone0777