Small fmic vs standard tmic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small fmic vs standard tmic
Has anyone any experience with the above? I have a very small Corsa C 1.3cdti intercooler lying around and i have the full set of Xantia fmic pipes + inlet manifold. Looks very simple to put on as most of its coming out while i change turbos this week. Plus it was free Big Grin

Would it be worth putting the corsa ic on with the assumption that any fmic will cool 30psi t2/k14 charge temps more efficiently over the tmic?

I know the standard tmic is fairly gd at standard boost levels but when raping them well out of their efficiency zone, they heat soak like fk!
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Mine is quite a small fmic. Makes a hell of a difference whatever you got simply because its cold. Tmic suffer massivly from heatsoak
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Give it a try?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
kll. The corsa one is quite a bit smaller than the tmic and it has a harsh, nasty looking 90 bend on one end so it'd only be temp till my summer hols.

If i have enough piping, i'll defo try it. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a waste of time incase i'd have to take it off again cos i've got exams soon.

Thanks given by:
Jp was running a small cooler and it suffered from heatsoak, even with it being an FMIC, he changed to a bigger one and he loves it.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
IMO it wouldn't be worth doing, if you have the lining under the bonnet still don't under estimate how efficient it is at cooling, plus your adding extra pipe work to the system.............

If its smaller than the TMIC then it won't be worth it I don't think.......
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
The tmic does an acceptable job round town even with my pisspot t2, but anything more than a short blat, and i can feel it going flat. Very noticeable on the motorway when going up some leptons.

Thanks given by:
For me personally, tmic aint that bad Tongue Only in the summer when it gets close to 27 degrees weather then i do proper notice it tbf Tongue
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Water injection FTW (the proper kind not the crap intercooler sprayer), no messing with changing the pipe work, TMIC with much cooler charge temps,

I noticed a hell of a difference in top end performance running 100% water and having it come in on 15 psi, top end was much improved, the gov in the pump was felt much more after that.
Thanks given by:
I'll agree that Water Inj. is of massive help, but I've found there's only so much you can add (even when you bring meths into the equation...) on diesels before you get problems of it seeming to "bog" with too much, I've always found you can add a good bit which does drop the temps, but then to keep the IATs down, you need a LOT of the stuff - and I've seen it happen where the IATs are still high, but it's not going as well due to there being too much... Only way to fix is with an intercooler...

That's my own experience though...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation needed urgent, standard turbo to tmic pipe! Mattcheese31 12 4,404 30-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  td04 outlet to tmic scottbmxer 9 2,456 25-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Last Post: CJ_Derv
  Td04 outlet to tmic scottbmxer 4 1,708 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Last Post: scottbmxer