Problems Problems :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems Problems :(
Right as some may know I have recently changed the HG on my pug. I had the head skimmed and pressure tested as well as all valves re-seated. I used a HG direct from pug (5 notch, 1.56mm), brand new head bolts from the local factors and all was torqued exactly to spec.

There are 2 problems.

1. She is using water in a big way, 1/2 a liter a day depending on use. It seems to be getting pressurized as I think it is coming out of the radiator overflow pipe.

2. She is running like a dog, I originally thought that a tooth may have been out on the pump but since checking this morning it all lines up perfect. She cold starts ridiculously, cranking it for 1-2 mins building up compression and when she goes there is a CLOUD (capitals here as it truly is epic!) of white smoke and a diesel knock that is unbearable. Once warm she starts ok and sounds a bit better but performance is way down. The glowplugs are NGK and were new just before the HG blew.

Can get a vid up later if needed. If this thing is fooked expect a breaking thread anytime as I've had enough!!!!

/rant

Suggestions please folks, could the block be fubar, should I do another 45* on the head bolts?? Ahhhhhhh!!!!! lol
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Has it ran like a dog and pressurized straight after doing HG or afterwards, have you driven it hard straight from fitting

I havent the foggiest to be fair just trying to work it out myself for you

did you check the waterpump? this may not be the problem but may be related and could have caused another gasket to go

also how good is your heating in cab red hot? i had a few head gaskets go as the matrix was blocked and as mentioned in a thread by Ruan this can cause circulation problems

couldnt really see it being the block tbh but not 100% sure

am sure someone will be along shortly with more help
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the response pal! No it has been driven so carefully its unbelievable, barely strayed over 2.5k revs.

The heaters work and get red hot like they always have and the engine temp stays below 80* unles stationary in trafic when it will creep up to just below 90 where it stays.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
No worries pal,

Errrr have you bled everything up properly i know asking the simple stuff but usually its something or nothing but really stumped on this so far, who did the pressure test on the head?
Thanks given by:
Yes mate all bled properly, water only coming out of all bleed points. The head was skimmed and pressure tested by the same company who have been doing it for 20 years, came recommended by a mechanic friend.

I know mate it has me stumped as well!! I can only assume the head/gasket/block is still screwed. Could the heat exchanger have any impact on this?

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2012, 03:58 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Yes mate all bled properly, water only coming out of all bleed points. The head was skimmed and pressure tested by the same company who have been doing it for 20 years, came recommended by a mechanic friend.

I know mate it has me stumped as well!! I can only assume the head/gasket/block is still screwed. Could the heat exchanger have any impact on this?

As far as i no the heater matrix can cause hot spots which can lead to the gasket/head failing yeah Ruan posted a thread about it, think its Do Not Bypass matrix iirc pal,

Let me know how you get on wil ask about see if any of my mechanic mates have had similar prob n try help you out
Thanks given by:
Legend mate thanks, I remember the matrix thread now but mine hasnt been bypassed, although it could be faulty I suppose, ill strip some interior out 2moz and check for leaks. Not sure if this is conincidence but when I powered the car back up following the hg change the radio and clock are both broken! The LED's behind the clock are on but no display, the radio has power at the back of it but facia is dead, water getting in maybe?

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
flush then reverse flush the system in extreme cases the block could have warped slightly meaning new engine! cracked liners but could be something as simple as air in the system best way is coke bottle method and on a hill with the heater matrix being the lowest point if possible
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Yea mate I live on a hill and followed the haynes by making a "header tank" as the highest point in the system.

How do you flush and reverse flush lol?

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 D Turbo heater problems gazsa401 21 6,299 13-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Last Post: gazsa401
  205 clutch problems ginge191 18 5,921 17-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Last Post: ginge191
  Major fuel pump problems, air leak, head gasket? Dantheman1312 2 2,196 22-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Last Post: r3k1355