Remap Compatability

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remap Compatability
Yo! I picked up a galleto, the software and a few maps last night. Ive heard people say things about the ECU code having to line up?

0281010362 - The sellers code
0281010362 - my HDI estate
0281010592 - Neds (Nauest)estate

soooo the codes are the same for mine and the sellers so i presume the maps will work. The code for neds is similar but the end differs. Is that a problem?

Also what is the result of loading a map onto an ECU its not meant for? Is it something where you can re upload another one? or is it bricked and game over?

Cheers
Sam
Thanks given by:
don't put the maps on anything other than the exact same numbers.. Those maps will be fine on your car..
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 08:27 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: don't put the maps on anything other than the exact same numbers.. Those maps will be fine on your car..

but not Neds?
Thanks given by:
Well let's have a look at ned's number, his ends with 592. What does yours end with again..? Rolleyes

Unless you know the origin of those maps i'd be wary of putting them on your car too, i think it was Mooey that bricked an ecu with a bad map...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Got to agree with Poodle on this one Sam......although you've got a map with the same code as your ECU it's still a gamble IMO. It could be a good map and work really well......but then again it could cause you major problems.
Thanks given by:
I can verify that the maps are good maps..
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2012, 07:47 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: I can verify that the maps are good maps..

serious?
Thanks given by:
PM'd sam..
Thanks given by:
If they're all good then go for it, sounds like you've got yourself a little gold-mine there!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
a right good result by the sounds of it mate
Thanks given by:
592 is a 3 plug ecu and the 362 is a 1 plug so the hardware is different so dont flash map onto the wrong ecu you could end up with a paperweight shaped ECU that you will need sending away to be reflashed

you also need to check the software version in the ECU too, the geletto will tell you that when you read the map
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2012, 10:41 AM)cully Wrote: 592 is a 3 plug ecu and the 362 is a 1 plug so the hardware is different so dont flash map onto the wrong ecu you could end up with a paperweight shaped ECU that you will need sending away to be reflashed

you also need to check the software version in the ECU too, the geletto will tell you that when you read the map

You mean an ECU shaped paperweight? because I wasn't aware that a paperweight had a specific shape or that the ECU could morph into said shape if the wrong map is applied

/troll Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
If that was the case mark i'd be going to whippy and asking for a transformer map.. man if i had a transformer gti-6 that'd be schweeettt
Thanks given by:
There are two different softwares for the 362 too, so although the hardware might be the same there are at least two software for 362.

Worth checking the software number too. It might not make any difference but who knows. It's always ideal to compare original binary on your ECU with the one you intend to write on and consider the impact. I just had a 362 the other week that came up with gibberish in KWP s/w, but read out ok in the bosch ECU number tool, and then in editing the whole software section was unique and unlike any other 362 software I've seen before despite matching the common 362 s/w number.

So there are always oddities, randomly. It's rare but then that is probably why write failures/ECU bricking is rare too, when people are not being thorough!

Midnight Club, how can you tell they are 'good' maps?

I'm happy to support people in these kinda threads if they get files free, good on you, DIY and risk taking and whatever, but it's all free.

Sam, did you pay for the maps at all? If so I'd ask for a refund, you shouldn't be paying even as part of a bundle, for remaps... unless the provider made them imo... and chances are they didn't if they can't even tell you anything about them.

Pay for maps, get support, ie, this file won't brick your ECU. Send me your original first and I'll guarantee it, for example.

The service/support is everything imo. I know people who have copied my maps and I'm generally ok with it (not ecstatic of course) because they are offered for free and sometimes some element of support is even offered...
But paying and just getting a file is worthless. The file might just be totally wrong for your car. It's not worth paying for unless it's guaranteed to work, and in offering that guarantee there is more work than just providing a file, and that is what you *should* be paying for technically, the support/service/guarantee!

Just a bit annoyed as it's not good for the community that we are essentially providing the service/support for files that people are in part paying for off someone else who copied it. Cripes, that money would be better going towards the forum and the forum offering communally developed generic files/forum only support for a small cost!

Hmmmm Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by:
Because i know where they originated from mate
Thanks given by:
Doesn't matter if it's a good map...

The software/hardware is likely to be different, checksums in the wrong places, likely to have an EML on for a Software fault... Too far out, yeah, you'll need to get it into bootloader mode to get a map on, or have to desolder the EPROM and re-write the chip...

Is it really worth the hassle not to just pay the money for Mr. Whippy to get you a proper map, designed for that SW/HW, and possibly have the ballache that goes with loading software that wont run, nor be able to reflash.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2012, 12:21 PM)Mr Whippy Wrote: There are two different softwares for the 362 too, so although the hardware might be the same there are at least two software for 362.

Worth checking the software number too. It might not make any difference but who knows. It's always ideal to compare original binary on your ECU with the one you intend to write on and consider the impact. I just had a 362 the other week that came up with gibberish in KWP s/w, but read out ok in the bosch ECU number tool, and then in editing the whole software section was unique and unlike any other 362 software I've seen before despite matching the common 362 s/w number.

So there are always oddities, randomly. It's rare but then that is probably why write failures/ECU bricking is rare too, when people are not being thorough!

Midnight Club, how can you tell they are 'good' maps?

I'm happy to support people in these kinda threads if they get files free, good on you, DIY and risk taking and whatever, but it's all free.

Sam, did you pay for the maps at all? If so I'd ask for a refund, you shouldn't be paying even as part of a bundle, for remaps... unless the provider made them imo... and chances are they didn't if they can't even tell you anything about them.

Pay for maps, get support, ie, this file won't brick your ECU. Send me your original first and I'll guarantee it, for example.

The service/support is everything imo. I know people who have copied my maps and I'm generally ok with it (not ecstatic of course) because they are offered for free and sometimes some element of support is even offered...
But paying and just getting a file is worthless. The file might just be totally wrong for your car. It's not worth paying for unless it's guaranteed to work, and in offering that guarantee there is more work than just providing a file, and that is what you *should* be paying for technically, the support/service/guarantee!

Just a bit annoyed as it's not good for the community that we are essentially providing the service/support for files that people are in part paying for off someone else who copied it. Cripes, that money would be better going towards the forum and the forum offering communally developed generic files/forum only support for a small cost!

Hmmmm Big Grin

Dave

Ive inboxed you dave also sent you an e-mail regarding getting a remap

Thanks given by:
(13-07-2012, 01:32 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Because i know where they originated from mate

Please don't be reading me wrong, I hope I haven't come across badly.

This isn't specific or directed just associated with this kind of selling and us supporting it via the forum.

I'm just wanting to make sure that ANY owner/member here gets a good deal.

If that means they are paying over the odds for copied maps then I'm angry because a copied map with no seller support should be free imo! I'm fairly sure it's a copied map because a tuner who can make a good file would have offered this buyer support and they wouldn't be on here asking.

Maybe there is some system where by THIS community is provided with good files by good tuners (who knows how that'd work at this point), and then owners can buy those maps cheap (say £5 for their car from a library of generic but good remaps), and then they also get forum support for their £5 (ie, can ask questions and get support from people)

I don't benefit from that at all, the community does, but I'd prefer the community to get £5 for the time it'll offer to the owner/member, than some random person who sells copies of maps and offers nothing in return!

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
basically there was a lad clearing out his 306 parts after he had sold on his car. I needed a clutch for the HDI and he had one and he also had some FMIC bits a galleto and TA Technics shocks so it was £100 for the lot with maps included. In my mind I basically paid for the clutch and all the other bits were bonuses.
Thanks given by:
That is fair enough Smile

Just generally for anyone thinking about cheapo remaps, ask around. You shouldn't have to pay for anything remap related unless you get good support.

That is my general gist with what I'm saying hehe.

Glad you got what you wanted in the end Sam Smile

What clutch was it by the way, Valeo or LuK?

Dave
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2012, 10:24 AM)Mr Whippy Wrote:
(13-07-2012, 01:32 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Because i know where they originated from mate

Please don't be reading me wrong, I hope I haven't come across badly.

This isn't specific or directed just associated with this kind of selling and us supporting it via the forum.

I'm just wanting to make sure that ANY owner/member here gets a good deal.

If that means they are paying over the odds for copied maps then I'm angry because a copied map with no seller support should be free imo! I'm fairly sure it's a copied map because a tuner who can make a good file would have offered this buyer support and they wouldn't be on here asking.

Maybe there is some system where by THIS community is provided with good files by good tuners (who knows how that'd work at this point), and then owners can buy those maps cheap (say £5 for their car from a library of generic but good remaps), and then they also get forum support for their £5 (ie, can ask questions and get support from people)

I don't benefit from that at all, the community does, but I'd prefer the community to get £5 for the time it'll offer to the owner/member, than some random person who sells copies of maps and offers nothing in return!

Cheers

Dave

Not at all mate, At the end of the day if anyone's selling maps which you have written you're going to be annoyed about it and that's completely understandable..

Just so you're aware the maps in question here aren't ones which you have written, I was only letting the OP know that they weren't just some generic eBay maps Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox compatability toseland 2 1,072 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Poodle