Homebrew

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homebrew
just made another student brew one, well missus did, got a feeling its gonna FAIL!
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
I'm so optimistic with my first batch of lager looking good, I decided to get another can on my way home from work so I've got another 40 pints brewing in the spare room Big Grin

[Image: IMG_0589.jpg]

Looking a bit dark this one. The first batch I did was Coopers Australian Lager, this is one called Tom Caxton Pilsner Strong Lager which I've never heard of. It was on sale so I thought I'd try it, because I love a good Pilsner...

[Image: IMG_0590.jpg]

Sitting at a good temperature (should be 21c to 27c range ideally), bit concerned about the colour but meh, it was £8 for 40 pints lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
When I was a little bit younger me and my mates used to make our own fruit Vodka...get a few bottles of Tesco's cheapest firewater and a big bag of Skittles or 2, seperate the colours, then add red skittles to a 2 litre bottle, pour vodka in, shake it up and leave it for a couple of days (best done at start of week) then when the liquid has gone the same colour as the sweets you used and the sweets have gone white. drain liquid through a sieve into a bowl or something and taste that motherfucking rainbow!!!

We used to get severely wasted and if you feel like it you can even eat the sweets you've used as they take on some of the vodka, even better!
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
We just took out the green skittles (turned it brown) put the rest in, but we used to leave a bottle for about a month, fecking awsome
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 09:49 AM)InkedMuttley Wrote: When I was a little bit younger me and my mates used to make our own fruit Vodka...get a few bottles of Tesco's cheapest firewater and a big bag of Skittles or 2, seperate the colours, then add red skittles to a 2 litre bottle, pour vodka in, shake it up and leave it for a couple of days (best done at start of week) then when the liquid has gone the same colour as the sweets you used and the sweets have gone white. drain liquid through a sieve into a bowl or something and taste that motherfucking rainbow!!!

We used to get severely wasted and if you feel like it you can even eat the sweets you've used as they take on some of the vodka, even better!

I make vodka skittles sometimes too.

best way is separate out the green ones then bang a bowl with the vodka and a load of skittles over a pan of hot water on the stove.

dont let it go over 40*c as youll evaporate the alcohol and keep stirring till its all dissolved then filter into a bottle to remove the scum and bang it in the freezer to cool and go really thick.
Thanks given by:
Thought I'd have a go at cider today Big Grin

[Image: IMG_0592.jpg]

Really simple set-up, had a look on a home brew forum and apparently there's more than enough sugar in 5 litres of apple juice to make a 6% cider so just chucked it all in the demijohn with a sachet of wine yeast, some pectolase and a spoon of brewing sugar to get it going, then stuck the airlock in the top...

[Image: IMG_0595.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0596.jpg]

It's sat in my spare room now with the lager barrel, and it's already foaming and bubbling like a right f*cker Big Grin

If anyone's interested, this is the forum I joined:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/index.php

Seem like really helpful people Smile
Thanks given by:
You know your air lock is shut in the photo right
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 07:25 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: You know your air lock is shut in the photo right

No mate, it was open, my camera phone is shite lol

How's your cider getting on? Did you get your demijohn from Wilko's? They're on sale for a fiver Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 08:43 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 07:25 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: You know your air lock is shut in the photo right

No mate, it was open, my camera phone is shite lol

How's your cider getting on? Did you get your demijohn from Wilko's? They're on sale for a fiver Wink

How much :o. I pay 2 quid with air locks :p lol and mu first alco pop is pretty much done, neerly no bubbles comming out. Gonna leave it few more days then 2l bottle it

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

SOLD

Thanks given by:
These are big glass ones though, are yours PET for that price? Even if they are, that's damn cheap...
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2012, 08:52 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: These are big glass ones though, are yours PET for that price? Even if they are, that's damn cheap...

Yep glass ones, the reason they cheep is there second hand lol but sometimes that's better for flavor, like aged oak for whisky

SOLD

Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 03:34 AM)Diggers Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 08:52 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: These are big glass ones though, are yours PET for that price? Even if they are, that's damn cheap...

Yep glass ones, the reason they cheep is there second hand lol but sometimes that's better for flavor, like aged oak for whisky

Yeah that's true mate, wel done Smile
Thanks given by:
Unless they've been used for keeping piss in.
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 03:34 AM)Diggers Wrote: Yep glass ones, the reason they cheep is there second hand lol but sometimes that's better for flavor, like aged oak for whisky

Think youll find that the glass wont retain any flavor, this is part of the reason its used.
Thanks given by:
found another cheap recipy
using polish ingredents that were on offer £1 a bottle for the syrup
got mine from tescos

going to give it a go

copy and paste from here

http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic...13&t=37444

Quote:Towicz - Malina syrop owocowy

In asda in the UK I came across this Raspberry drink in the polish (foreign) food aisle.
One of the girls stocking the shelves saw me looking at it and trying to figue out what it was, she told me she loved it so I thought I'd give it a try. It was only £1 a bottle and when I got home I saw it had no preservatives colours or other nasty chemicals in it this combined with the fact I had a spare 5L demi gave me burst of inspiration:

The full 440ml of “Syrop owocowy” ((Raspberry stuff))
4.5L water
400g white sugar
1 flat teaspoon of yeast

Its getting colder in my house so took just over a week to ferment out
Racked and bottled and primed with about 45 grams of sugar.
Delicious after about 2 weeks,
Brilliant colour fizz and taste well worth a go.
ABV about 5.5% (use less sugar if you want it any weaker)

After the great success I had with this recipe I just had to share it
and have since been back to asda and found they have a cherry version muhaha
it will be ready in about a week and will post my verdict here if anyone takes an interest!
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beer-Starter-K...872wt_1186

On it's way!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
This really is becoming a homebrew forum lol

Beer competition for FCS?
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 01:17 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: This really is becoming a homebrew forum lol

Beer competition for FCS?

You're on.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Nice. Can't open that link in my phone, what you brewing? I've got Coopers Australian Lager and a pikey cider brewing Smile
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 10:03 AM)cully Wrote: found another cheap recipy
using polish ingredents that were on offer £1 a bottle for the syrup
got mine from tescos

going to give it a go

copy and paste from here

http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic...13&t=37444

Quote:Towicz - Malina syrop owocowy

In asda in the UK I came across this Raspberry drink in the polish (foreign) food aisle.
One of the girls stocking the shelves saw me looking at it and trying to figue out what it was, she told me she loved it so I thought I'd give it a try. It was only £1 a bottle and when I got home I saw it had no preservatives colours or other nasty chemicals in it this combined with the fact I had a spare 5L demi gave me burst of inspiration:

The full 440ml of “Syrop owocowy” ((Raspberry stuff))
4.5L water
400g white sugar
1 flat teaspoon of yeast

Its getting colder in my house so took just over a week to ferment out
Racked and bottled and primed with about 45 grams of sugar.
Delicious after about 2 weeks,
Brilliant colour fizz and taste well worth a go.
ABV about 5.5% (use less sugar if you want it any weaker)

After the great success I had with this recipe I just had to share it
and have since been back to asda and found they have a cherry version muhaha
it will be ready in about a week and will post my verdict here if anyone takes an interest!

already done that, lol just (20 mins ago) opened the first batch, and its hmm...... funky to taste lol but added some more of that and its drinkable, but i didnt know how to use a hydrometer and made it before i got the meter so dont know the % age.
but its strong lol now bottleing it up into 2L PET bottles with a spoon of sugar, but its slightly fizzy allready

SOLD

Thanks given by:
just picked up 2 free demijohns from freecycle
Big Grin
now to wash them out and start my batch
Thanks given by:
Aha never thought this thread would take off this much. Glad peoples student brews are going well, mine always taste like arse, maybe because I use breast yeast and leave in the sun. Who knows?

I've gotten 3 demijohns from bootsales, normally about a £ a demijohn
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:

just made up my polish brew in the demijohn have put it on a heat mat just to kick start it as its all mixed cold

the orange on the left is the animal strength orange it is still fermenting away after two weeks

the apple juice in the centre is slowing down now after a week so it will be bottling time for that soon
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 05:41 PM)cully Wrote: just picked up 2 free demijohns from freecycle
Big Grin
now to wash them out and start my batch

I got 4 or 5 of my Demi-johns from Freecycle.

(06-08-2012, 06:15 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Aha never thought this thread would take off this much. Glad peoples student brews are going well, mine always taste like arse, maybe because I use breast yeast and leave in the sun. Who knows?

I've gotten 3 demijohns from bootsales, normally about a £ a demijohn

Yup, I've heard breast yeast can do that....
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Mine has cleared up a little over the weekend and the bubbles are slowing a little as of today.

Thanks given by:
That cider, with the 5 bottles of tesco own brand apple juice will taste like shit!

I almost puked just looking at it lol!!

Sorry to be offensive haha!!

Id love to have a go but i dont no if the RAF would appreciate me making home brew in my room!!
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 07:44 PM)sean-306 Wrote: That cider, with the 5 bottles of tesco own brand apple juice will taste like shit!

I almost puked just looking at it lol!!

Sorry to be offensive haha!!

Id love to have a go but i dont no if the RAF would appreciate me making home brew in my room!!

I'd doubt it, mine looked exactly the same as that (both The_Liam and Dum-dums; my demi-johns ranged in colour) and they taste fine.
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Ive just read the whole thread and i will stand back on what i said! f*ck my seniors, im having a go lol!! They'll love it at the next beer call!! lol
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 07:44 PM)sean-306 Wrote: That cider, with the 5 bottles of tesco own brand apple juice will taste like shit!

Do you know this from experience or are you just assuming or going on rumors from people who have also never made it.

It certainly smells good.
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2012, 08:00 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

Do you know this from experience or are you just assuming or going on rumors from people who have also never made it.

It certainly smells good.

I was just assuming!

Makes an ass out of me and u to assume!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homebrew Tyronnster 8 2,586 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: cully
  project Homebrew Still cully 31 6,795 20-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Last Post: puglove