Homebrew

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homebrew
Anyone out here homebrew their own booze? And if so why do you do it? money/taste/hobby etc

I'm currently trying the "student brew" and it looks/smells vile but sould hopefully do the trick Wink
http://www.yobrew.co.uk/students_brew.php
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Iv had a few of these before and if you get the right ones and do it right, Its prob some of the nicest largers iv had, Dont do the ciders though.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
when me and my mates get back to uni we might have to try this haha
Thanks given by:
14% for less than 4 pound? I like this
Thanks given by:
Might start brewing! What Kits to get!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 07:43 PM)SRowell Wrote: when me and my mates get back to uni we might have to try this haha

do it! If we get this going in our house we'll save a fortune in pre drinks meaning more nights out , hurrah!

Don't buy a kit, mke your own matt. My kit consists of a 5L water bottle atm, got one of those air vent things in the post though since the bottle nearly exploded today when I put lid on too tight lol

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
We'll be acquiring some demijohns and the like in the very near future, get some wine on the go...

Done a brewing kit before with some mates and the results were pretty poor. The bloke looking after it wasn't the most attentive in the world though, so maybe it'd be worth trying again... Will have to try some of yours Steve and make my decision from that. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Did you see the link cully put up on fb yesterday?

Could be interesting
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2012, 07:58 AM)Matt Wrote: Did you see the link cully put up on fb yesterday?

Could be interesting

Does look interesting Itwasntme

(12-07-2012, 07:36 PM)lolsteve Wrote: I'm currently trying the "student brew" and it looks/smells vile but sould hopefully do the trick Wink

But yea think i killed my batch, took the lid off to vent+add sugar and now the froth has gone down. Ordered a proper airlock though off ebay for couple of quid

Thanks given by:
Didn't even realise it was the same link hahahaha
Thanks given by:
i did this at school once, squashed grapes and yeast. tasted awesome! until our dormparent got wind, then we had to bin about 20 bottles....
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
a exwork mate started making his own home brew, his 1st batch was very sweet he said. didnt realise how strong it was until he tried to walk to work in the evening. so that batch got tossed out to the slugs, next batch he made was like a nice pale ale. tasted nice must have been about 3% as it wasnt very strong. last batch he made he followed instuctions from a home brew kit and his bottles blew up. full works went up the walls and windows in his kitchen. he was in bed at the time and nearly shit him self when he heard the bottles going off.
since then he never made anymore.
Thanks given by:
I made 5 Demi-John's full of apple/pear cider just before Christmas. Wasn't too bad but a bit flat Sad
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
My parents make loads of wine, its normally pretty strong, but tastes great!

But my granddad also makes some, tastes good, then he keeps f*cking with it, adding random shit. When he declares it "finished", it normally tastes like vinegar Sad
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
if your gonna do it then do the beer and not the larger.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That student brew looks awesome, might do it with a proper airlock as ive got a few.

I recently made strawbery vodka (ask poodle, hes had a bottle of it) and im gonna start on cider soon.
Thanks given by:
I would recommend using a airlock, since mines looking pretty dead now Sad

would like to get some Ale going though, maybe get it in a local ale pub ...or just stick to the student brew and be off my tits lol

Thanks given by:
Homebrew is great - Just don't think you can drink half a pint and then go out and drive as you will probably be over the limit.
Thanks given by:
Hahaha the airlock is pretty essential to the whole process dude.

Dum-dum's strawberry vodka was pretty damn awesome, as was the blackberry vodka my missus made. And i'd agree that the lagers are usually pretty appalling, although the ones you get on tap in the pub are too, so maybe that's not really relevant...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
it would be rude not to give it a try Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(14-07-2012, 04:02 AM)Poodle Wrote: Hahaha the airlock is pretty essential to the whole process dude.

Dum-dum's strawberry vodka was pretty damn awesome, as was the blackberry vodka my missus made. And i'd agree that the lagers are usually pretty appalling, although the ones you get on tap in the pub are too, so maybe that's not really relevant...

Was that what you had at camping? That shitll knock your head off lol oh and if anyone wants a test pilot their cider, i might know someone Wink
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My dad used to make lager which in fairness, was surprisingly nice! It's all about the waiting game, too little time and it'll just taste like total jank...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I've made lager and bitter, I'm a bitter drinker but weirdly the home brew lager tasted better. Keep meaning to have another go...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Homebrew lager is always better than the shit you get in the pubs.
I too am a bitter sinker havin lived in a pub from the age of 5 until I was 12 I had an early introduction to alcohol. Traditional draught bitter is my preference and you can keep your smooth flow John smiths and tetleys shit - id' rather drink a pint of horse piss. Real ale and no chemicals for healthier alcoholism lol.
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2012, 02:42 PM)cully Wrote: it would be rude not to give it a try Big Grin

What yeast you using? cause that's looks pretty clear and lively

Thanks given by:
Smooth flow is evil shit, give me a proper living beer any day Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2012, 07:30 PM)lolsteve Wrote:
(21-07-2012, 02:42 PM)cully Wrote: it would be rude not to give it a try Big Grin

What yeast you using? cause that's looks pretty clear and lively

went into the local homebrew shop he seemed interested in my recipe
he recommended a wine yeast comes in a white packet which makes 20-25lts so i divided the pack into 4

the orange one I'm making is 3 squeezed oranges into 4.5ltrs water and 1/2kg sugar
that has took off and is bubbling like mad

the lemon one is 4 squeezed lemons it is bubbling but not as well

Ive also got a hydrometer so can tell the alcohol content once done Wink
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2012, 07:42 PM)cully Wrote: went into the local homebrew shop he seemed interested in my recipe
he recommended a wine yeast comes in a white packet which makes 20-25lts so i divided the pack into 4

the orange one I'm making is 3 squeezed oranges into 4.5ltrs water and 1/2kg sugar

So, what exactly are you attempting to make?
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2012, 08:32 PM)burnmw Wrote:
(22-07-2012, 07:42 PM)cully Wrote: went into the local homebrew shop he seemed interested in my recipe

So, what exactly are you attempting to make?

It's like a alcoholic alco pop - like wkd or the like if he mixes sqaush in at the end

A few of mine are running on bread yeast, very bubbly and quick activation leaves a bit of a dirty brown mess at the top though and I've heard/read that bread yeast can survive to 14% vol so it's a cheap alterative im hoping will work. Got a demijohn with champange yeast going as well which has taken a few days to get going but now is bubbling like the breast yeast versions.

Good idea with the hydrometer it'll be interesting to see how much this really produces

Thanks given by:
(22-07-2012, 08:32 PM)burnmw Wrote: So, what exactly are you attempting to make?

im attempting to make myself pissed !

without poisoning myself and ending up in A&E as i seem to be a regular there
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homebrew Tyronnster 8 2,586 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Last Post: cully
  project Homebrew Still cully 31 6,795 20-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Last Post: puglove