Frosty's Ph1 Black D Turbo now with VNT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frosty's Ph1 Black D Turbo now with VNT
(06-02-2015, 01:07 AM)7057sam Wrote: love the plasma dials mate

What power are you hoping for from the gt20 ?

Cheers, would like to think around the 170 ish mark with a decent amount of torque

(06-02-2015, 10:24 AM)mr_fish Wrote: You already have a GT20 Itwasntme

Yeah waiting for you to fit it for me Smile
Thanks given by:
Just read this through from fcs last year. Didn't realise it was that long since I've looked on this thread. Its a proper bummer about the turbo though. Just gives a good excuse for an upgrade
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2015, 01:26 AM)szinser Wrote: Leather Front Seats 3 dr with rears?
nearer to North East UK the better sumwhere near to Humberside, Yorkshire & Lincolnshire!

??

(16-03-2015, 07:10 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Just read this through from fcs last year. Didn't realise it was that long since I've looked on this thread. Its a proper bummer about the turbo though. Just gives a good excuse for an upgrade

Yeah bit of a pain rally about the turbo. I did in fact take the turbo off yesterday and popped a T2 back on for now. I may poss see about rebuilding the K03 but i need to look into it a bit more.

Not feeling very motivated with this at the moment. Need a real good clean underneath. Not really sure what to go for turbo wise. The biggest issue i find is sorting the air intake out. Its just so tight down the back once a xantia inlet is on and the way my boost pipes are. I got the same intake i used for the K03 on the T2 at the moment but im pretty tempted to take that off and run it de-filtered. 

Im not sure why the turbo has given up though, dunno if it could be down to the intake being restrictive? Though it is 65mm but is a bit squished in places due to the room issue 
Thanks given by:
Been a while since any update on this. Well the cars has hasn't been on the road for the last 3/4 months. I seemed to have the issue of the cooling system holding a bit more pressure than i would of liked so had planned to pop another head on it but never really had the motivation to do it. Then the other day i saw Bash seemed to have a similar issue and it seem to be the rad cap so i have swapped mine and this far though i haven't driven it but have had it running for a while seems ok. Be nice if that has sorted it as the first engine seem to have the same issue so it could of been the rad cap all along.

Anyway the mot ran out back in July so i moted it on Saturday and its all good. Going to tax it tomorrow and start driving it a bit again to check to see if the pressuring is sorted. Then that moves me onto the turbo situation, i bought a gt2052v back along on ebay which has just sat in the boot of the car. Finally got round to taking it apart today to try and work it all out and started making up some plate to fit it so hopefully ill get that fitted some point soon. So for the time being i will be boosting around with the T2
Thanks given by:
Sweet! Glad someone trying the GT2052V

Such a cheap efficient turbo to fit
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Love this car. Saw it at FCS 2014, such a clean motor. Recognise those plasma dials too Wink
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2015, 08:08 PM)Piggy Wrote: Sweet! Glad someone trying the GT2052V

Such a cheap efficient turbo to fit

Yeah cheap and easy to get hold of which is why im giving it a go

(31-08-2015, 08:39 PM)Jamieh2013 Wrote: Love this car. Saw it at FCS 2014, such a clean motor. Recognise those plasma dials too Wink

Cheers, it really is starting to show its age now though. 

Haha yeah i do like the plasma dials, they go well with the gauges
Thanks given by:
Been trying to crack on with this a bit lately. Have been sorting the turbo out, making up plates etc. Clocked the turbo so its pretty much in the right place for when i fit it and sorted out a boost can for it and mounted that.

I've decided im going to try another head on it with new head gasket etc so i dropped the engine out this weekend. Have given the bay a bit of a power wash off while its out. Started to strip the engine down, hope to get the new head on this week all being well.

I have also decided to relocate the battery to the boot to free up some space so i have sorted a box out and sorted out the cables.

No really got any pics but will see what i can sort during the week
Thanks given by:
Literally just read this entire thread, awesome! This is ultimate - black ph1 3-door, so good!

That exhaust looks awesome, did I read correct 4-inch tailpipe? Apart from hunting 2nd hand, any idea where to buy a "Devils" exhaust?

Also, I think I personally prefer it on cyclones haha. Great build though!!
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2015, 10:57 PM)Dazecoop Wrote: Literally just read this entire thread, awesome! This is ultimate - black ph1 3-door, so good!

That exhaust looks awesome, did I read correct 4-inch tailpipe? Apart from hunting 2nd hand, any idea where to buy a "Devils" exhaust?

Cheers, yeah defo one of the best combs for phase/colour. Though age is taking its toll on the body work now which is a shame.

Its still in lots of bits at the moment, sorting out the new turbo. Hopefully will be all back together soon.

Yeah im pretty sure is 4" from memory, fairly big but fills the cut out in the bumper nicely. Im not sure where to get them from, the 1 i got popped up on facebook and likely pretty local so i snapped it up. Just keep an eye on the the 306 pages. though nefore i had this exhaust i just had a straight bit of pipe with a tip on it and that sounded decent.

I prefer it on the white challengers to the clones, it just seems to suit it better i think though on most 306s you can never go wrong with a set on clones on it
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2015, 01:36 PM)Frosty Wrote:
(08-12-2015, 10:57 PM)Dazecoop Wrote: Literally just read this entire thread, awesome! This is ultimate - black ph1 3-door, so good!

Cheers, yeah defo one of the best combs for phase/colour. Though age is taking its toll on the body work now which is a shame.

Its still in lots of bits at the moment, sorting out the new turbo. Hopefully will be all back together soon.

Yeah im pretty sure is 4" from memory, fairly big but fills the cut out in the bumper nicely. Im not sure where to get them from, the 1 i got popped up on facebook and likely pretty local so i snapped it up. Just keep an eye on the the 306 pages. though nefore i had this exhaust i just had a straight bit of pipe with a tip on it and that sounded decent.

I prefer it on the white challengers to the clones, it just seems to suit it better i think though on most 306s you can never go wrong with a set on clones on it

Awesome, yeah I'll defiantly keep my eye out for a full system similar to that. Was the straight pipe you had on before really loud or not too bad? That's also tempting, but I don't want anything too loud - I must be getting old!  Rofl

That is true with the wheels, Cyclones are a default choice for many, so props for going with something slightly different. Black car with white wheels is always a winner tbh!
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2015, 01:50 PM)Dazecoop Wrote:
(09-12-2015, 01:36 PM)Frosty Wrote:

Awesome, yeah I'll defiantly keep my eye out for a full system similar to that. Was the straight pipe you had on before really loud or not too bad? That's also tempting, but I don't want anything too loud - I must be getting old!  Rofl

That is true with the wheels, Cyclones are a default choice for many, so props for going with something slightly different. Black car with white wheels is always a winner tbh!

I never really found it very loud, when just general driving there quiet but when you put your foot down you can hear them bark. Its good as for motorway driving etc its not very noisy but when you want it to be loud it can be. I find the same with me estate and that has a 3" exhaust which is pretty much straight throw 

Yeah i was never the biggest fan of white wheels but when i saw darren's with them on my mind was made up lol
Thanks given by:
This is now back running, engine all back together with the 2052v bolted to the back of it. Had to modify the bulk head a bit which i did when the engine was out. I cut it as i thought that would make the tidiest job of it. Made up my own oil feed for it and return pipe. Its currently all plumbed up with coolant system and intercooler but not driveable on the road at the moment. Had to make up a new down pipe for it, tried to use the down pipe i had made up for the K03 but only ended up re using the flexi joint. Mated that back up with the 2.5" set up.

Couple of bits i need to sort, finish sorting the EMP pipping. I got the gauge all sorted in the car and a pipe into the engine bay. Just need to sort the pipe off the manifold. I got the exhaust manifold tapped and a double male ended fitting screw in. Just wondering if people fit filters in their EMP pipping to stop and exhaust gases getting to their gauge?

One other question is the elbow on my down pipe is pretty close to the heater matrix pipe that goes in the head gearbox end. What have people done if they have come up with this issue? I will try and put some protective stuff round the pipe but would still like the pipe not so close. Was thinking about trying to bend the pipe out the head a bit to angle it away from the exhaust.

No pics but will try and sort some out over the weekend
Thanks given by:
Get some pics so we can see. Smile the exhaust was mega close to matrix pipes on my last build just heat wrapped exhaust and never had an issue.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Been pretty rubbish at updating this lately, but time for an update now. The car is back on the road a driving as of last Friday. Got the insurance swapped off with the 205 so thats off the road for a bit now.

Anyway I've been pretty rubbish with pics as well so i will put a few up though i haven't managed to take to many. The turbo down the back, as i previously said i cut some of the bulk head out to help with clearance and thought it would be a bit tidier than hitting it back with a hammer. Went a long a bit further than i needed to but no issue as i can see.

[Image: F4199228-77DD-4AD7-B836-338F0B7A5AB6_zps75mlg0xn.jpg]

[Image: 7F999214-1A1C-4DDC-9EF8-69D5B040A51E_zpsqqvrwawf.jpg]

Not very clear in the pics but the heater matrix pipe than runs by the elbow was pretty close so i had Damo pop over with some copper pipe to help me reroute it slightly

[Image: 6E6D5A32-2134-4376-9FBA-A183309687EB_zpsahjpokm0.jpg]

[Image: 7195EBC6-8461-4E87-91EE-7F722DEB8A23_zpshrcjho5a.jpg]

Also sorted out the pipping for the EMP as you can see in the pic.

[Image: 31902C2D-2413-4B09-8F29-B5910267DA13_zps7pm7tsab.jpg]

The engine bay doesn't look to much different that it did before apart from no battery there. I did have issues with the battery, basically it wasn't cranking over fast enough so altogether i ended up changing the starter motor for a HDi one, fitted a bigger battery (the biggest i could fit in the box in the boot) and changed the cable for some thicker stuff. I was using the same size that is fitted the the estate which is 25mm2 but now i got 50mm2 which is a fair bit bigger. Also changed the earths for the same size. Its still not seeming great especially when the engine is warmed up to start but will see how it goes. Fitted an extra earth to the battery and that may have made a difference.

While i was waiting for the it to go on the road i gave it a good clean and polish, doesn't come up too bad but there are so many marks etc on it now but that just comes with the age and mileage of the car i guess and ill have to live with it.

[Image: E55CD07E-D9D1-4210-B19E-7FC40EFBC886_zpsghs94g5n.jpg]

[Image: C799B2C4-2734-4282-BAEB-328DEA470BFB_zpsw9le6z6e.jpg]

Thats about it, its pretty nice to drive and seems to pull ok so will get a few miles on it and see how its all going then
Thanks given by:
Good work. Wheels suit it really well.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Looking nice and shiny there mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Win Wagon!

Happen to get a ride/drive in this the other night. Drives and pulls well for the age of the machine.
Thanks given by:
Mmmm, looks shexy my man. Probably one of my favourite looking 306's still on the road.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys. I honestly think the pics do the car to much justice tbh but still i am back in love with the car, well till it breaks down next Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah, this is amazing. Inspiration for mine! Love the fact your intercooler pipework & hoses are not bodged together like a lot of other 306's I've seen lol! Looks great Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2016, 12:45 PM)Dazecoop Wrote: Yeah, this is amazing. Inspiration for mine! Love the fact your intercooler pipework & hoses are not bodged together like a lot of other 306's I've seen lol! Looks great Smile

Yeahs whos intercooler piping is bodged! Lol good work dude tidy setup. Looks like you really had a go at the bulkhead!
Thanks given by:
that looks fantastic. Just needs some fondmetal 4000s to finish it off! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
looking great

feel much different having it down the back?a lthough yo had a 56v on before right? I bet its epic!

keep an eye on that copper pipe, copper hates heat cycles and vibration, and will be prone to cracking.
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2016, 01:47 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 12:45 PM)Dazecoop Wrote: Yeah, this is amazing. Inspiration for mine! Love the fact your intercooler pipework & hoses are not bodged together like a lot of other 306's I've seen lol! Looks great Smile

Yeahs whos intercooler piping is bodged! Lol good work dude tidy setup. Looks like you really had a go at the bulkhead!

I  don't know what you mean about bodged intercooler pipework. I've never seen any on a 306.
Now, my 205 may be slightly unprofessional but it lasted for at least 15 miles at a time. 
I will call that reliable.  Something else has usually dropped off before the 15 miles are done anyway.  Rofl
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:

Cheers, intercooler set up is ok though i did buy it all as a ready made kit. If i was making it i would prob go for 2.25" pipework though as easier to route and 2.5" is prob a bit overkill

(08-04-2016, 01:47 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:

Yeah i did get a bit carried away with cutting the bulkhead, may come in handy for something at some point though

(08-04-2016, 02:05 PM)Eeyore Wrote: that looks fantastic. Just needs some fondmetal 4000s to finish it off! Big Grin

Thanks, nah i like the white challengers on this too much.

(08-04-2016, 02:47 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: looking great

feel much different having it down the back?a lthough yo had a 56v on before right? I bet its epic!

keep an eye on that copper pipe, copper hates heat cycles and vibration, and will be prone to cracking.

Cheers bud, i just had the k03 on it before down the back. That was the only other bigger turbo I've had on it. I did buy a gt2056 wastegated but never fitted that and sold it. This seems to go ok though.

Ok i will keep an eye on it. Think mark had copper pipe on his 206 xud and was all ok. I didn't really know what else to use
Thanks given by:
Had been driving this for over a month and done over 1000 miles all going well but then it decided to start making an odd noise. After inspection it seem to have an exhaust gas leak from the turbo area so had to pop the turbo off which isnt a very easy job give the size of it down the back. Once the turbo was off it was pretty easy to see the issue.

[Image: 524FB904-D439-4268-8314-69398CA03199_zpszd1nf8xt.jpg]

And once i had taken the turbo off the adaptor tube

[Image: 28CDCA56-EB3B-4092-8F1A-1AD02FBE8C5E_zpsoofgthja.jpg]

As you can see the gasket had blown through. Had a look at the plate it was bolted to and it seemed to be a bit warped which i expect was from the heat when the tube go welded to it. So i got that skimmed a bit and then made up a new gasket and put some paste on it this time just incase. All back together and driving again.

Did also manage to get it stuck in a field the other day. End result a very muddy car

[Image: 52C58734-3DF8-4D4E-AE20-552120BD84FB_zpsejl793fn.jpg]

[Image: FCBB875D-68E9-4CC7-9E44-4440A23E1E5B_zpskffrfyco.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frosty's astor GTi6 Frosty 20 7,584 26-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Black Ph1 D-Turbo project (black betty) doogle-d turbo 25 9,855 16-08-2017, 06:04 AM
Last Post: doogle-d turbo
  Frosty's S16 6 speed Frosty 244 93,025 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Frosty