There Must be More Than Just 306's and Golf's?????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There Must be More Than Just 306's and Golf's?????
Well,

I've been looking around for a new car, for insurance reasons, part cost reasons, and to try and recoup some of the money I've wasted on the Golf......Only I could get a bargain of a car then spend half of the cars value on modding it! Doh

I know, I'm a dick. In my defense, the turbo change inc gaskets and fresh oil and stuff was like £500 all in!! The actual power increase was only a £45 map tbh.

I had to start de-modding it for insurance but it hasn't really worked so it's gonna have to be fully standardised again if I kept it...which I don't mind doing anyway if it'll sell better.

Anyway, enough about the VAG...................

I want to know why the hell all I can find in my budget that I'm remotely interested in is 306 HDi's and Golfs/A3s (with a 150 engine, and less miles/more service history). This really is ridiculous, surely there must be other cars I've overlooked??

I know I can't have everything, but the main criteria is - cheap to run, cheap to tax, cheap to insure AND must be comfortable and reasonably paced, 0-60 on the golf was about 7 seconds I think (never timed it), so I reckon 10secs or quicker 0-60 should be ok.....

Then I also like spec, ideally climate control, cruise control, leathers, electrics......I know I won't get all of these though, but want as many as possible.

Oh and lastly, as much power as I can reliably and cheaply have without affecting insurance too much.

So clearly it has to be a deisel.....and all I can find that matches the above is either a PD150 with a 182remap (shouldn't have boost leak issues like with the 130 due to a different IC system.) Or a 306 HDi with I think its a 140ish map (before having to add IC which insurance won't allow).

Others I found were:

Mazda 6 Diesel - well specced but but poor fuel economy and high tax
Mondeo 130 TDCI - Well specced, ok economy, but my Dad drives one, they're massive, they handle and look worse than a golf.

So yeah, I'm not asking for your opinions on the VAG's; I'm well aware what most of you think of them, but the fact remains that they do fit my criteria well - I'm asking are there any other cars that I've over looked?? Or is that really all the market for the older diesel hatch??

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Is that the st mondeo? Good cars they are....if you get a good one
Thanks given by:
tom what about a rover 25 derv, cheep cars. hang back on modding etc until you find your feet aswell.
Thanks given by:
Saw 3 mondeo STDs (or whatever they call their specced up diesels) on the way home from uni yesterday, all blowing horrific amounts of blue/black smoke while cruising at 70-80...common issue?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Something VTEC?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Not having a go at you (im sure evrybody else will enjoy doing that...) but I seriously think you should lower your expectations and criteria a bit mate. The term 'champagne lifestyle on a lemonade wage' comes to mind! Just trying to be realistic, but you dont currently have a job do you? If iv missed something and you do have one then im sorry... But either way, you are only ~20 and if you are unemployed at that age, I think aspiring to a car which is relativley quick, well specced, reliable etc is a bit much. Im lucky that my dad gave me a decent lump towards my Bora, but if he didnt id still be in a 306/205 or similar, as are Jake/Declan/Sam etc, and alot of people I know from school have decent jobs and still only drive 'average' cars. What do your friends drive and what are they like with jobs/income?!

Honestly dude, you dont 'need' a car to your specification, it would just be nice, wouldnt it? And until you can afford to insure, fuel and repair a better/more expensive/less economical car then you should just make do with what you can have easily. I know people my age who would be over the moon to get a 306 with half leathers and a decent HDi engine standard, they are good solid nice cars, certainly at least for somebody in a position like you.
Thanks given by:
Focus/fiesta tdci? It seems to be the car that young drivers are moving into now the saxo/306 is dying out. so that'll be the cheap aspect, and it's newer so will no doubt have some more creature comforts
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Completely as dan and YOU said you can't have everything haha
The amount of times people have actually turned to help
Recently springs to mind is ruan spending about half hour trying to help you

You actually going to listen this time!?!?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm not going to rant at you, but I have a good job paying me a fairly decent salary and I still drive a beaten up old nad to work so I can afford my '6 during summer. I couldn't afford my '6 until I'd been working 6months or so, and even then if I'm really honest i had to beg borrow and steal to get the money together. And with the fuel bills and a 60+ mile commmute to work if I hadn't been living at home I definitely wouldn't have been able to afford it.

If I'd been a sensible chap, I'd have kept the dt for another 6months to a year before buying a '6.

Which leads me neatly to where I am now. You need to think long and hard about your choice from here. I got it right for me, but I made a big sacrifice in essentially chosing to be skint and have the car I want. Or you can do what the majority of the UK population do, and buy a car to get you from a to b, dont care much for it, and use the money on other things in your life.

Only you can resonably make that decision; I know I'm happy with mine; the nad is a perfect daily, if a little unrefined, but I love how simple it is. And that means there's nothing to go wrong, and I don't have to spend lots of money on servicing it which means I can spend the money on my nice car, or on other things such as holidays/house etc.

Either way, I do have to agree with what Dan! has said; if you dont have a job, it sortof negates the decision a little; you need a cheap run around whilst you sort a job, then you can look at what you can afford.

Failing that, an older style Fiesta wouldn't be a bad choice; the 1.4tdci is a very economical engine, and quite quick when provoked. I dont know much about reliability though...

Personally I'd have never sold the nad (or have you?) If you haven't I'd keep it, sell the golf, take stock for a bit save for what you really want (maybe work that bit out whilst you're saving?) and then buy at the opportune moment Tongue
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Life isn't all about what car you got Tom!
Iam 36 I could be driving an m3 if I wanted, i earn a decent wage, but wouldnt skint myself out just for a car! I can afford to do what I want to my pug and I do, I just think you got your priorities all wrong, get yourself sorted out then sort a nice car
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 07:32 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: I'm not going to rant at you, but I have a good job paying me a fairly decent salary and I still drive a beaten up old nad to work so I can afford my '6 during summer. I couldn't afford my '6 until I'd been working 6months or so, and even then if I'm really honest i had to beg borrow and steal to get the money together. And with the fuel bills and a 60+ mile commmute to work if I hadn't been living at home I definitely wouldn't have been able to afford it.

If I'd been a sensible chap, I'd have kept the dt for another 6months to a year before buying a '6.

Which leads me neatly to where I am now. You need to think long and hard about your choice from here. I got it right for me, but I made a big sacrifice in essentially chosing to be skint and have the car I want. Or you can do what the majority of the UK population do, and buy a car to get you from a to b, dont care much for it, and use the money on other things in your life.

Only you can resonably make that decision; I know I'm happy with mine; the nad is a perfect daily, if a little unrefined, but I love how simple it is. And that means there's nothing to go wrong, and I don't have to spend lots of money on servicing it which means I can spend the money on my nice car, or on other things such as holidays/house etc.

Either way, I do have to agree with what Dan! has said; if you dont have a job, it sortof negates the decision a little; you need a cheap run around whilst you sort a job, then you can look at what you can afford.

Failing that, an older style Fiesta wouldn't be a bad choice; the 1.4tdci is a very economical engine, and quite quick when provoked. I dont know much about reliability though...

Personally I'd have never sold the nad (or have you?) If you haven't I'd keep it, sell the golf, take stock for a bit save for what you really want (maybe work that bit out whilst you're saving?) and then buy at the opportune moment Tongue

Sounds sensible enough to me Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
lmao at this thread

As Dan and Ed have said, stop dreaming. If all this about a job is true you really do need to sort your priorities out. Although if you can afford a car that meets as many of your criteria as possible, why are you fretting so much about buying another car?

If you DO find something that ticks all the boxes though be sure to let me know what it is.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok I'm browsing on the phone atm so I'll reply to the longer posts when I'm on the pc....however jonny, yours really made me think.

(09-07-2012, 07:45 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Life isn't all about what car you got Tom!
Iam 36 I could be driving an m3 if I wanted, i earn a decent wage, but wouldnt skint myself out just for a car! I can afford to do what I want to my pug and I do, I just think you got your priorities all wrong, get yourself sorted out then sort a nice car

Yes your car is just a side interest, if that's the right way to put it, cos iirc you've got a wife, kids, dogs, mates etc, various good things to fill your life with. And I expect most on here are the same. I'm not....cars really are my life, as sad as that may sound to most of you.

When I do go out, its more for the drive than actually going anywhere, I don't really like being anywhere, except in the car....I drove a 40 mile round trip to the seaside last week.....took a lonely 5 minute walk along the beach and then drove round some more lol.

And the nad basically proved to me how much difference a 'nice' car makes. I was only going out for completely necessary journeys in the one oh shit because it was/is awful, and taking it to meets and shows was just depressing so I stopped that too. [/b] the 106 actually made some of my problems worse because I didn't go out much at all, compred with going out every day, mostly just for the drive in the others... :/

So I'm trying to make sure I don't buy something else shit....plus I have to think practically, the 106 wasn't big enough for me, and the trailer wasn't suitable with stuff in it due to the car being too light. I also have to think about taking my nan out and she struggled with the 106.

Also, with the job thing, I do still earn money, despite not having a proper job, and I will not sponge by going on jsa either if that's what you're thinking.
Thanks given by:
All above; Tom, go facepalm yourself please. Thanks
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
How do you manage to earn enough money to run a car then kinda live as well as not being on JSA I hated it but really didn't have an option
Thanks given by:
Tom you need to come out with a select few of us on here for a few beers might open your eyes up a bit, at your age you should be enjoying yourself!! I won't take no for an answer, I will come and kidnap you and you will enjoy yourself!!

You got loads of worrying about shit to do in later life, don't do it now
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Can't you just get put on your mum/dad's insurance until you're working?
Thanks given by:
Tom, if you don't enjoy driving a 106, nothing will please you.

Genuinely no word of a lie, sometimes I catch myself thinking the 106 is actually more fun than the 306. The limits are so much lower, so you can drive the ass out of it without breaking speedlimits. It's simple, no crap or electrics etc between you and the road. i dunno, it's a complete hoot to drive imo. Don't get me wrong, slow as hell, and tragically rolly through the corners, but the grip levels are actually a bit surprising, and it just feels like a little terrier.

Anyway, it is your decision, my opinion is above in my 1st post Smile good luck buddy
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 09:00 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: How do you manage to earn enough money to run a car then kinda live as well as not being on JSA I hated it but really didn't have an option

Tenner a week for food, 25 quid a week for diesel.....its not hard to make 35 quid a week..... i often make mote than that depending on what I do though...I jdont just sit on my arse all day, contrary to what you probably all think. Smile

I don't spend money on anything.g else. And car insurance is paid from savings from back when I was working anyway, paid for the year.

I've been on jsa before, I hated it so much I'll do what I can to stay off it!

(09-07-2012, 09:08 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Can't you just get put on your mum/dad's insurance until you're working?

My mums just bought a brand new car.....so no lol. And I don't live with my dad thankfully.

It wouldn't work anyway though as mums out all day in her car.
Thanks given by:
Only way I could make money was club runs haha apart from that and selling random 306 junk I had no money :-(
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 09:17 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Only way I could make money was club runs haha apart from that and selling random 306 junk I had no money :-(

You didn't try hard enough. Wink

No one round your way need thier garden done? Car detailed? Windows cleaned? Etc, etc lol.

Plus I get a definite 25quid from helping out my.nan at the weekend and the other on a Tuesday for another tenner usually....and taxiing both nans wherever they.need to go... As I lost both grandads within the last year, both nans need a large amount of help. :/
Thanks given by:
Tom im serious, me you and sam are going out for a drink soon regardless of what you say! i will see that beautiful smile
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Never know, might have a good time Wink

Don't worry yourself either, if something happens it happens. Like I was saying to you earlier about last night. We were meant to go to the pub but instead ended up at the graffiti tunnel then rode around central London on Boris bikes. Wasn't what we planned but a good time.
Thanks given by:
Tom I as much as the next man loves cars as much as you but I also have a social life (ish) and things to occupy my time. You've admitted you don't and that is a underlying problem. If I have a shitty day with the car or one of them days where you hate it, I leave it and generally I go down the pub for a few drinks with Fiona or a mate (well, normally grant!)
I've met you Tom and whilst it was only brief, you seem like a generally nice honest guy if not a bit quiet. You just need to get more of a social life. Why not try taking up a martial art? I did 18 months ago and I've met so many new people there that I would call friends.
Also, come to a meet or two! I'm sure at the next big meet that srowell goes to, he would give you a lift. I didn't really like th idea of going to Coventry meet as I was going to be spending two days with people I've never met but I can honestly say that I have never had such a fun (if not painful and I'll....Jonny that's your fault) weekend and have made some great friends from other meets (not you ed....I despise you)

Cars as a hobby isn't just about cars. It's also about the social aspect of meeting people who enjoy cars as well.

Anyway rant over about you.
Ditch the golf and settle for something lower spec.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Naill's hit the nail on the head, you need something other than cars to do, and the social aspect will follow naturally through people you'll meet and get to know through it (I can sympathize with you though as I'm not confident with strangers either) I use MTB to get me away from cars/work/bollocks/life ect.

Anyway, back on topic (this forums like bloody dear deirdre nowadays) Get a nice D-turbo, decent shove, reliable and cheap running costs.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 09:44 PM)declantg Wrote: Tom im serious, me you and sam are going out for a drink soon regardless of what you say! i will see that beautiful smile

are we? ok!

Yeh tom... I have the 1.8 and tbh a hdi or dturbo would make much more sense but i do like the 1.8 because its different and still pretty quick compared to most cars. I probably could afford a better car but i also have the speedboat project, HDi estate project, uni life and im well teched up! There is other things to spend money on besides a car Big Grin tbh mate you either need to stick with the golf, get a better 106 or a 306 wether it be a dturbo, hdi or a 1.8! Just do something and enjoy it!

You can buy the estate off me if you want! Tongue Or the 1.8... maybe.
Thanks given by:
The Mondeo's I can tell you now the newer ones all have the black/blue smoke issue I know of 5 or 6 in Skeg alone that are like that (I have a good memory for plates) plus when they get to 100k+ they tend to start losing LOTS of power, mine certainly did have you not thought about the 406? they can be had for cheapsies and some of them do come really well specced a mate of mine had a 2.2HDi 406 on a 51 plate I think it was and he only paid about £1,200 for it came with full leathers, service history, good condition apart from a big dent in the back door he went to a PDR place paid about £100 I think and you'd of thought it had just come out of the showroom!

Failing that Passat's can be had cheap as can the Audi A4 which I have the luck to have a customer with one who hates my car so insists that I take hers when I take her out and they go like f*cking stink!
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd agree with Ed, Jonny and Niall on this, I make a decent wage but running the VRS is killing me and leaving me bugger all money for having fun, hence why it's going for a DT or a HDI. I love classic cars and classic insurance is dirt cheap, so once I turn 25 next month I'm gonna get either a 924, MX5 or 205 GTI as a second car. Like Ed, I can't afford to drive any of them daily, especially if I can't afford the VRS. Rent, food, bills, the lass, beer and rugby come first....
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
If it wasn't for the sprog on the way I'd have a Focus or Fiesta petrol, either 1.8 or 1.6. Possibly even an ST if insurance allowed.

People hate Vauxhalls and Fords because they're bloody common. They're built to a budget and in some areas you can really tell. Unfortunately the effect of this is that their opinion is then blurred and confused, for example the Focus must be rubbish because the Escort was rubbish. The Corsa must be crap because my nan drives one.

There's genuinely nothing wrong with these cars and in your position you really need to consider them, as they're so cheap it's rude. When they go wrong it costs pennies to repair them.

Plus, if you like to fiddle with your car then you'll have a lot more fun with something which is less complicated. Take a 306, it had electric windows and a CD player, really very little else in the way of 'tech' (OK the auto wipers and the fact that many of them still work is astonishing). Improving on it is easy, because you add stuff in which wasn't there in the first place.

Get summat cheap and fun Tom and forego 'luxury' until you can afford to own and maintain it.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Xsara? Cheap as chips/pretty much a 306. But has some more extras
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.9 Dturbo 205 vs pd mk2 golf pugtk 11 2,511 14-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy
  xud van vs golf gti 1.8 t xudlingo 30 5,119 21-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Anyone play golf? THE_Liam 25 11,059 19-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam