Pulling to the right

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulling to the right
(17-07-2012, 08:21 AM)Birk Wrote: They can't be aligned, the sit in a set place.

but this is Niall, he can make anything bent.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2012, 08:21 AM)Birk Wrote: They can't be aligned, the sit in a set place.

The rears don't. They have a bit of movement in them.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yea, Back and fourth, so it's easier to get the beam on and to replace the bushes.

No side to side action, the fronts have a set place, which means the backs can't move anywhere either.
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2012, 08:32 AM)Birk Wrote: Yea, Back and fourth, so it's easier to get the beam on and to replace the bushes.

No side to side action, the fronts have a set place, which means the backs can't move anywhere either.

No there is side to side movement. Not much granted but still might be enough to cause a problem. Will find out in a min. Got the day off so going to go and tinker
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
How much do you trust the place that did the tracking? Any chance they could have made a mistake?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Hi Niall did you ever solve this problem?
Mine is doing the same and I have changed all the bushes and had the alingment done so don't know what yo do next.
Thanks given by:
When you have the alignment done, are they taking the car for a quick drive, letting everything settle and then checking it again?

I guarantee it'll be out if they haven't!

Is the actual rack central? Ie equal turns lock to lock and then you set the tracking?
This is essential or it will pull the side
Thanks given by:
I got it done and it seemed fine but I only drove it half a mile home and never got it up to speed. After I loaded the car up to go and brimmed the tank to go away the next day and it started pulling to the right again. Perhaps then as you said it loosened up with all the extra weight thrown on the chassis. At the time I thought it must be the rear beam causing it but now since I am back and the tank is empty it's still doing it.
Thanks given by:
Ok I have checked the steering and it is centered correctly but I have also noticed that when I reverse it pulls out to the left nearside??

What could be causing this? I would have thought if it was aligngment it would be pulling offside in reverse and forwards. Would this suggest something is loose such as a rear trailing arm? Huh

I bought the car it it was slightly pulling to the right since and I have changed for new front wishbones and and rear bushes and a refurbed second rear beam which I done myself with new pins and bearings.
I have also changed for a good second hand front shocks and pillow mounts. But since changing the front wishbones its pulling harder to the right now.

I am going to take it for alignment again and hope that will cure the issue.
Thanks given by:
I got the alignment done it's a lot better but its still pulling to the right. Huh

I asked them about the rear thrust and they stated that it can't be adjusted and because it's front wheel drive it won't make any difference.

Anyone got any ideas where I should be looking next?

I am hoping I am not looking at possible bent chassis I haven't seen any signs of damage.
Thanks given by:
Somethings not right on that rear
Thanks given by:
Has the subframe been off atall? Could be slightly off maybe? Just thinking aloud tbh!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yes I refurbed the rear subframe new pins etc. It was also pulling to the right on the old subframe and that one was rubbing on the offside wheel arch it was so bad.

Perhaps I can loosen off the rear bushes and give them a bash to get the toe into spec?

Should I take it the front is ok but the caster seems well out?
Thanks given by:
having a look at it again....

From memory it should be 5' toe in, in total!
Might be worth getting them to set the suspension to parrellel, ie no toe and see how you get on.

This is easily achievable with a few bricks, 2 lengths of wood and 2 tape measures

I set up my own cars like this and had it checked on some "proper" gauges and my work was spot on to the millimetre
Thanks given by:
Are we talking about the front or the rear? They said they couldn't adjust the rear but I am happy to have a go at the rear myself.

What are the settings for the phase 3 HDI Dturbo if you know or where I might find it cheers?
Thanks given by:
Sorry I was talking about the front
Thanks given by:
I freely admit I am baffled by all this I keep thinking there must be damage down there somewhere so I am going to give it a thorough look over.

Thanks for your help Paul ThumbsUp but can you explain the logic to setting the toe to zero on the front will that help identify the issues in someway or rule out others?

Also if I put lowering springs on it will that give me more caster?
Thanks given by:
Good news it's fixed. Big Grin

I swapped the front tire's to the rears and it's all driving straight and true again. Which is good thing as I am taking her to the Ring on Saturday.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reasons for pulling to left? lolsteve 37 8,520 26-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Jtrigga
  Pulling left and right rocker8742 6 1,929 24-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Last Post: rocker8742