Engine wont start after clutch change *resolved*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine wont start after clutch change *resolved*
hi, im working on my mates x reg1.4 meridian changing the clutch. ive got the car all back together but it wont start. It will turn over but wont start. I have had the battery disconnected for a while so i dont know if its to do with that.

The central locking has also stopped working so i think its related, its never worked off the button but when you put the key in the door it only locks/unlocks that one door.. ive also noticed the clock isnt working but i dont know if that was working before.

I have checked all the fuses underneath the steering colomn and they are fine.

where the earth for the battery connects to the gearbox, should there be another earth wire on the same bolt or isit just the one for the battery?

Any one got any other ideas?
Thanks given by:
Fuel inertia switch if it has one? Should be near the battery
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
tried that Sad
Thanks given by:
You getting a spark?
Thanks given by:
i dont think so mate, i think its something to do with the immobiliser because i read it is on the same circuit as the central locking.
Thanks given by:
Youchrcked all the fuses in the engine bay
Thanks given by:
no, ill do that now

they are all ok too Sad
Thanks given by:
There's 2 earths that come from the neg terminal on the battery. One goes to the top of the gearbox and I can't remember where the other goes but the cable is only about a foot long so can't go far. Make sure their both fine.
Also, didn't remove the 2 round plugs at the front of the bay to get the box out did you?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
No i didnt unplug those round plugs. The cable ive got with the negative battery clamp on only has 1 ring connector on the other end. Any idea where the other ring connector would be on the loom?
Thanks given by:
Hmm I'm sure there's 2 but maybe that's only the XU series.
Plugged the CPS in? It's right on top of the box under the thermostat housing and has a 5-8 inch lead coming from it (is on the XU anyway. Google it and confirm location)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah thats connected mate. Just thinking its not something like a sensor because of the central locking.

When i press a lock down it only locks that door but i can hear a click from the control box behind the dash.

As i understand this box controls the central locking and immobiliser?
Thanks given by:
You didn't touch anything inside did you?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(07-07-2012, 09:19 PM)Niall Wrote: You didn't touch anything inside did you?

No, i haven't touched anything inside
Thanks given by:
If you are getting no dash lights at all when you turn the key then sounds like a bad earth to me there should be a earth from battery to engine and battery to body of car or engine to body of car. I would chec all of these for good connection
Thanks given by:
Checked the earth on the g'box?
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
I have the negative battery lead bolted to the gearbox, should there be another? because i think this is where i have gone wrong.

I have a couple of lights come on, oil battery and "stop" should there be more than that?
Thanks given by:
to check if its an earth problem
get a set of jumpleads connect ....
battey negative to engine block
and
battey negative to bodywork

try to start car

yes i did mean battery negative both times Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks mate, tried this and it started and central locking worked so i pin pointed it to the earth on the body which is what i thought it was but was unsure. After a bit of stripping down i found the earth which i had tucked away to keep it safe so all sorted now!

Cheers lads, especially you Cully, you have been very helpful Smile

Just for reference I had an earth going from the negative battery clamp to the gearbox then another going from the body (front right hand side in front of the battery tray as you are looking into the bay) to the same bolt on the gearbox
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  96 mod peugeot 306 1.4l petrol wont start benny123 25 10,176 21-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Alan_M