Water running temps?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water running temps?
Alright I'm getting really stumped with this my car always runs around the 90degree mark if I'm booting it it just keeps climbing , iv changed the radiator to a nissens one a new thermostat and temp sender with no luck , anyone had the same issues ? It only started running like this since I put my fmic on and it's really restrictive to the air flow to the radiator , if I take my grille out it runs spot on but obviously it looks gash, anyone else had same issues and found a fix ? Anything else I can do to make it run cooler or is it a case of body work modifying which I don't really wanna do lol cheers
Thanks given by:
Mine runs hot so like you said the grill is out... Looks shit but keeps it cool!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Might be my only option I think might modify it abit cut the bottom 'lat' out maybe
Thanks given by:
could have replaced the thermostat with a dodgy one. have you tryed the DROP IT IN HOT WATER TEST?
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah did that was all fine iv been told it could be the oil cooler as they were a barstool for corroding anyone had any experience of this?
Thanks given by:
Must b a French thing mine does the same wud know to cure it
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2012, 12:53 PM)chippyba Wrote: Must b a French thing mine does the same wud know to cure it

I know how to cure mine... Less advanced pump and less boost.
Where is the fun in that though!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Even with grille out its still getting too warm "/ proper ran out of ideas lol
Thanks given by:
Possible HG issues ? / incorrectly bled cooling system ?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Customized grill? probably the only way around it.

Alternatively you could hook up some kind of spray system on to your rad?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
There's no other symptoms pointing towards HG issues though
Going to try bleed it up again see if Itl help pretty sure it won't though , can only try lol
Thanks given by:
Put an override switch on fans run a switch from stat on rad and see how you go having fans on constant, i had to do this a lot when booting the blaze but new on has single fan FMIC no grille and is fine unless sat in traffic for a whil sits at about 70 all day long and max 80
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2012, 02:31 PM)Jackabeen Wrote: There's no other symptoms pointing towards HG issues though
Going to try bleed it up again see if Itl help pretty sure it won't though , can only try lol

Hmm no was just something to check,

& dec the spray onto the rad wouldn't really do a lot & even if it did its not a long term solution as the temp would just shoot back up (if it cooled down at all)

Have you got your fans on a hard switch So you can turn them on whenever, that's my next plan of action before the grille goes back in.

Edit/ CJ beat me to it.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2012, 02:43 PM)Jake Wrote:
(08-07-2012, 02:31 PM)Jackabeen Wrote: There's no other symptoms pointing towards HG issues though

Hmm no was just something to check,

& dec the spray onto the rad wouldn't really do a lot & even if it did its not a long term solution as the temp would just shoot back up (if it cooled down at all)

Have you got your fans on a hard switch So you can turn them on whenever, that's my next plan of action before the grille goes back in.

Edit/ CJ beat me to it.

Tongue best way as these on a standard rad can soon get hot under load
Thanks given by:
Yeah I'm running 1 12inch fan to a switch on the cabin but iv got two 10 inch suckers waiting to go on and wired into the original loom.

Just been doing some investigating , did a head gasket test and all is well so that's ruled that out , then I went for a 7 mile drive doing mixed driving booting it for a few mins then chilling , it climbed up to 95 when going fast then settled to 87 at a steady pace , then say in traffic it went to 93 I didn't put the fans on at all because I wanted to see how hot it will go and at no point it went over 95 degrees , came home did abit of Internet research and found the optimum running temp is 85-95 degrees , so iv came to the conclusion that I need to stop worrying Itl be fine and just keep an eye on temp gauge if it ever kreeps past 95 stick heaters and fan on and drive nice and steady .

I think I'd rather have it running at 85-90 degrees than 70 tbh at 70 it's not even up to tempreture
Thanks given by:
I think I'd rather have it running at 85-90 degrees than 70 tbh at 70 it's not even up to tempreture
[/quote]

Tbh mine sits at 70* when has a nice flow of air to rad ie moving, and slowly creeps up to 80*ish if going very slow, doesnt neccessarily mean its not up to temp, I would have thought 70* would be up to temp as oil temp guage says so Smile

I changed the stat from my old derv which IIRC was a low temp stat so lets coolant system flow earlier in the degrees anyway which could possibly be why it sits at 70*
Thanks given by:
Where did this low temp stat come from?
Thanks given by:
I'd like to know where you got it from too I have been
Searching for ages !!!
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 03:04 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Where did this low temp stat come from?

TBH i cant remember as was years ago, il try asking when im in local motor factors they have a mahoosive book with thousands off different ones its off another citroen model iirc

Will try and find out for ya's i think Jamma has one too tbh

CJ
Thanks given by:
Cheers Itl be much appreciated
Thanks given by:
Cool Smile
Thanks given by:
Any idea what the part number is for the low temp stats?
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
Sorry for really late reply i cant seem to find it tbh and been the local motor factors and starting to think that its not even a low temp stat as recently running a bit higher temps unless its sticking but they dont seem to want to help find one either
Thanks given by:
My 1.9 ran at 75-80 degrees all the time... only crept up to 90 in traffic on a hot day....

My 2.1 is weird to say the least.... on a hot day it runs at 80 and runs up to 90 degrees really quickly, when it's a little cooler and on the move it runs at 65 degress?!? I've got a FMIC and no front grill..... and a Valeo radiator...
have you flushed the coolant out resently?

But i will be running the front grill again and I'm going to fit some Astra GSI style bonnet vents, some will tell me off but I don't care... I like them and they are functional...
rather than explaining why....
read this...
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Undertray...ticle.html

it is part of a 3 part series but the diagrams should cover it....
Thanks given by:
Mine usually hovers just above 70.
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thats about right...
Thanks given by:
I think mine needs a good flush and found why blower doesnt always blow theres the position on the control to lock it out and it keeps flicking over so have to fiddle it to get it to blow then she sits at a constant 80
Thanks given by:
If your temperature is fluctuating I'd put money on it being thermostat...

As standard the thermostat should open at 83*C... They should easily sit at 83*C all day long... There's no need for a lower temperature thermostat, if your temperature is rising, the cooling system cannot cope... I know numerous people running 180+Hp with no cooling issues...

Once you're moving past about 20mph, the coolant temperature should drop rapidly back down to the thermostatted level... If it's running at 70*c then there's something up, it should run at 83*C... Could be a dodgy sender - I wouldn't trust the dashboard thermometer, get a reliable external gauge plumbed in.

Mine used to get hot quick when on the power, but that's purely because every time it came on boost, it'd fill the head with air. In traffic the fans were on and it'd sit at 83*C all day every day.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(17-08-2012, 10:55 AM)Ruan Wrote: If your temperature is fluctuating I'd put money on it being thermostat...

As standard the thermostat should open at 83*C... They should easily sit at 83*C all day long... There's no need for a lower temperature thermostat, if your temperature is rising, the cooling system cannot cope... I know numerous people running 180+Hp with no cooling issues...

Once you're moving past about 20mph, the coolant temperature should drop rapidly back down to the thermostatted level... If it's running at 70*c then there's something up, it should run at 83*C... Could be a dodgy sender - I wouldn't trust the dashboard thermometer, get a reliable external gauge plumbed in.

Mine used to get hot quick when on the power, but that's purely because every time it came on boost, it'd fill the head with air. In traffic the fans were on and it'd sit at 83*C all day every day.

Thanks for reply Ruan, where would you recommend plumbing a sensor in on our systems. Im going to get a new stat next week and give it a bloody good flush as havent really got round to doing this one since i bought it and water was very orange when i changed that hose yesterday

CJ
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SoS urgent...xud estate temps Piggy 25 4,255 22-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Last Post: The Phil Billy
  thermostat opening temps...lower temp' stats? Piggy 25 6,472 25-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  EGT average temps Ricky 10 2,980 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Ruan