Fitting boost guage ready for stage 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting boost guage ready for stage 2
I have my hdi at stage one at the moment. Bought a boost gauge and length of hose and i want to get it plummed in asap, can i plumb it in before fitting the intercooler. Need my car daily so in trying to do stage 2 piece by piece before the remap. Egr and aircon will be coming out over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You could do.. you'd have to actually drill and tap the inlet manifold itself though as you change the elbow to a different when going stage 2.. Most people just drill and tap the elbow as it's easier to remove and cheaper to replace should you f*ck it up Smile

On a sidenote.. i didn't remove anything when drilling and tapping it, just put a shit tonne of grease around the drill bit to pick up swarf
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd be too worried about filling the pistons up with metal shavings if I was drilling it in situe
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If you saw how soft the metal was it probably wouldn't worry you as much.. I'm NOT saying to anyone that leaving it in situe is a better option, obviously removing it and drilling and tapping it off the car is going to be much safer.. BUT i did it and the cars been perfectly fine for about 30k now
Thanks given by:
Why not put a bayonet fitting into the silicone hose that feeds into the top elbow?

Chances are you will throw it away with moving to stage 2 proper, so no loss.

Also cheaper to replace if you get it wrong.

Easy peasy to then re-use on whatever pipe you feed into the HDi110 top elbow when you fit that too, so it will work for any piece of silicone you decide to use.
I think my bayonet fitting was £8 and was really nice quality. It was also very reliable and really easy to fit. Much less to go wrong vs drilling the L bends imo!

Not sure there are any advantages of drilling the L bend, just downsides.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
so my plan now is to drill and tap into the egr inlet blank, is this right for getting the boost pressure? here is a picture of how i will do it, so the hose goes through the bolt with a hydraulic brake barb in the end and then sealed into bolt.

[Image: 377635_10150961089492832_434206353_n.jpg]

does this sound a good idea? will it work? whats best to use to seal and hold it?

cheers
Thanks given by:
Normally drill the inlet elbow itself mate, some PTFE tape around the thread should be fine to seal it Smile
Thanks given by:
Pikey brake bleed nipples boost feeds ftw!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Ive then got to redo it when i change the elbow, this way once its fitted its done. Where have people got theyre fittings from? This is rather a bodge method but its the best ive been able to find so far
Thanks given by:
try here mate......http://brass-hose-fittings.brass-cable-glands.co.uk/
Thanks given by:
Bleed screws make for pikey boost feeds. Always used them for creating boost feeds and never had a problem yet. There also threaded so its just a matter of tapping it into the flat side of the inlet.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
i`ve seen a neat way of doing it, on here somebody blanked their with a plate on the inlet, and tapped the plate, 2 birds - 1 stone Idea
its a flat surface so should be easier than a curved one. and if it goes nipples up, you can just make another plate
Cool
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations for boost gauge and fitting kit 306rhys 6 1,928 30-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  manual boost controller and egr blank plate fitting, please help dirtyboost89 6 1,951 02-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Last Post: dirtyboost89
Question boost guage Scouse282 7 1,746 20-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Slam Wagon