PD130 - Smoke after boost....wtf!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PD130 - Smoke after boost....wtf!?
Hi all,

Yeah I know this isn't a vag forum but lets face it, the diesel engines work in the same way anyway (bar the injectors being in a daft place on mine).

Basically I've noticed a really odd thing happening last couple of days....Ive been driving slowly since having the golf back OTR, very rarely hitting boost (1800rmp ish) as I dont enjoy it so might aswell save fuel. Now I know driving like this will make it smoke a bit when it does get a boot passed a cyclist or off a slip road............but the smoke carries on for a second or two after I let my foot off.....now theres no fuel going in at that point so surely it shouldn't smoke then!?

Also, not sure if its related, but the map sensor (located on the IC on these) wiring had a slight accident with one of the pulleys. Doh I thought I'd tucked it well out of the way but some harsh cornering/braking must have dislodged it.....the pulley wore a hole in the hard plastic wiring case and started on one of the wires but I caught it just in time (i think) before the wire actually broke...although I reckon a few of the copper strands have gone......I just taped it up for now and moved it. Just wondered if that could cause the map sensor some odd readings at the ECU...however the eml isn't on, but I have no way of checking codes now that college has finished.

So yeah..........why is there smoke after boost, and have i shagged the map wiring or will it be ok?

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Not using boost isnt going to save you fuel...blowing smok deffo isnt...boost makes a diesel more efficient, not less...

Just dont rag the shit out of it on boost if you want to save fuel...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I'm not purposely saving fuel (but now i read it back I can see it looks like that). I basically just slowly get up to speed with light throttle in each gear then stick on the cruise control in 6th, I don't really hit boost at all tbh.

But Im more concerned about this random 'after' smoke tbh......worried I've broken something else. :/

The odd thing is, I have averaged 65mpg over the last tankful.........despite the plumes of smoke!? And that was calculated properly btw, not the trip computer.
Thanks given by:
scrap it?
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2012, 12:00 PM)kernow_joe Wrote: scrap it?

Well, its still T&T'd so the idea would be to sell it soon............

But thats not really helpful right now lol.
Thanks given by:
Had a similar'ish issue when i had the HDi, basically when not booting it for a while exhaust gets a buildup of soot and then when you boot it it blows it out giving you that smokey/black cloud type thing out the back, try driving it a bit harder for a little while and see if it clears up.. If i drove the HDi especially hard then the soot would ignite and you'd get small flames/embers coming from the exhaust
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ah that makes sense, so its not unburnt fuel, its just old soot, right.

Well I have a feeling it'll get some stick today as it always does when I convoy anywhere with Sam lol, so we'll see what happens. Smile
Thanks given by:
Was going to mention the spot buildup.. My monies would be on that..
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Yeah hopefully it is just that and not something else broken..........

But now I have the choice between booting it and breaking the DMF more, or not booting it and soot building up. lmao
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2012, 08:20 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Yeah hopefully it is just that and not something else broken..........

But now I have the choice between booting it and breaking the DMF more, or not booting it and soot building up. lmao

You know how to clear that out.... Take it for a good thrashing.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Yeah a good thrashing is recommended on occasion. Go for a blast down the motorway at 70 in as low a gear as you can to hit 3.5k then drop up and down from 60-80 or so flat out each time. The heat and air flow should blast all the crap out and burn it away. You only need to do it once a month or so.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Gave it a bit of a boot today........strangely no smoke............but I do now have the engine managment light on, f*cking vag crap.

Hopefully it'll have gone off time I go out again, probably that overboost code again I reckon.

Anyone wanna buy a golf? :roll:
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2012, 02:48 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Gave it a bit of a boot today........strangely no smoke............but I do now have the engine managment light on, f*cking vag crap.

Hopefully it'll have gone off time I go out again, probably that overboost code again I reckon.

Anyone wanna buy a golf? :roll:

Plugged it in to see what the error is, or did it tell you on any display on the car? Probably just the EGR or something like that throwing a fault. Hardly surprising if you've not driven hard at all and lots of soot has built up.
Thanks given by:
Well it certainly won't be the egr haha. Wink

Nothing on display, plugged it in last time the light came up and was overboost/boost control problem iirc.
Thanks given by:
Blocked off EGR then eh? Smile Overboost seems to be a common problem on VW's though I can't remember the usual cause off hand.
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2012, 11:17 AM)andywhy Wrote: Blocked off EGR then eh? Smile Overboost seems to be a common problem on VW's though I can't remember the usual cause off hand.

Just going from the name here but I would be willing to hazard a guess that the "overboost fault" could maybe, just possibly, be caused by..........are you ready................. too much boost compared to what the ECU wants to see............... what do you think?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
EGR has been removed and replaced with a straight pipe......no more EGR shit stuck in my mani! Big Grin

And yeah Marks got it lol........ Usually its the N75 valve that does it I think, but I'm not even bother with it now. Just gonna get rid, had enough of unreliable, uninsureable vag stuff tbh. I know nothing in my budget will come close to the golf in terms of power spec and cheapness to run.....but meh, can't have everything.
Thanks given by:
Just scrap the vagcrap and buy something decent, and drive it hard.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(05-07-2012, 12:22 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Just scrap the vagcrap and buy something decent, and drive it hard.

But, but, but......mpgz!? Confused

However that is what I'm intending to do. Wink
Thanks given by:
Vagcrap dosnt get any better mpg than any other diesel...infact, its taken 20 years to gain like 5mpg...a friggin ford endura na would outrun your car for MPG, and that was made in 1989 and before.....yes it has no power, but you never use it anyway because your so obsessed with your MPG....

Expensive crap, just buy something cheap and cheerfull thats fun to drive, cheap to work on, and still returns decent mpg if you need it.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Yeah theres plenty of cars that can beat that mpg.........but not with the same power, weight and spec....... Imagine if they'd stuck the pd engine in the 106, would get like 90mpg I reckon!

I have something cheap and slow that almost does the same mpg as the golf (with a third of the power and weight lol), and I hate it. :/
Thanks given by:
get a 1.4tdi polo or seat ibiza, my missus has one and returns epic mpgs!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2012, 01:52 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: get a 1.4tdi polo or seat ibiza, my missus has one and returns epic mpgs!!!!!!

Hmm...if its as slow as the 1.4HDi/TDCi then no thanks. lmao

Plus both of those are still VAG lol....
Thanks given by:
nippy for what it is.
thought you loved vagcrap?

So you want a really fast car that returns brilliant mpg?

So you want a high powered diesel

but you wont drive said fast car hard incase it brings youre mpg down.......

so why bother paying the premium for a fast car youre never going to drive hard????????

Go get a bosch pumped XUD, Stage 1 tune, Whack on a HDI gearbag and start collecting waste veg oil, good mpg and free fuel
Thanks given by:
awaits reply of "but veg smells, I can't stand the smell of it...." or similar from tom whistle
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2012, 02:52 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: nippy for what it is.
thought you loved vagcrap?

So you want a really fast car that returns brilliant mpg?

So you want a high powered diesel

but you wont drive said fast car hard incase it brings youre mpg down.......

so why bother paying the premium for a fast car youre never going to drive hard????????

Go get a bosch pumped XUD, Stage 1 tune, Whack on a HDI gearbag and start collecting waste veg oil, good mpg and free fuel

No I hate vagcrap, its just a forum rumour lol.........infact right from buying the first mk4 a year ago I've said every time I don't like them as a whole........but they're much better specced, better on fuel, cheaper to tax, much comfier and theoretically more reliable than most of the stuff in my price range. Just a shame they cost lots, Im unlucky so mine aren't reliable and cost lots when they do go wrong, they don't handle at all and they look dull and boring but with stupidly wide arches for no reason.

But anyway...yeah, why can't I have a fast car that does good mpg?

Ignoring the ESP light which randomly comes on.........this is the average mpg of 100miles the other day lol..........find me another 180bhp car that still retrns that kind of mpg.

[Image: EML010.jpg]

I don't WANT a diesel at all tbh, high powered or not, and I think this is where my main problem is.........that I cannot afford a petrol, so I'm never gonna be happy with something that Im stuck with for mpgz, regardless of the power its got.

I used to drive fast...until it started breaking things....and until I ruined my car by fitting a bigger laggy turbo to it! Doh The 106 NAD I drove everywhere at 95mph lol.........I was much more likely to get caught speeding in that than the golf tbh lol. But I hated that cos there was no overtaking power, and thats what I want a 'faster' car for. I have to overtake a lot of slow people/tractors/bikes on crappy little country roads with few overtaking places....which really wasn't easy in the 106 and ended up with lots of beeps and flashes lol, whereas the golf used to 'fly' straight past people no problem.

The other problem is small cars is their lack of spec.........I like lots of toys in a car - cruise control, climate control, leccy windows and mirrors, leather wheel, leather seats, armrest etc etc............and high spec can almsot make up for slight lack of speed imo........depending how much obv.

I'm not getting a DT lol.
Thanks given by:
Who cares about the spec, most of that needs to be ripped out anyway Wink

Your just never happy whatever you have tbh, swear you just make these threads to cause arguments on here lol...

If you love petrols so much, and hate vag so much, why are you driving a VW golf, and trying to get epic mpg...its just an epic fail if im honest...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
FYI my car is about 175-180hp and I continually get 55-60mpg out of it...

With a blowing head gasket.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
No I don't mean to cause arguments at all, unfortunately it does seem to occur though.

I said above why I drive a diesel golf lol, because of the spec, comfort, power and mpg (and the expected reliability.....which I now know is no better than Pugs tbh). And nothing for the same price is anywhere near as good. Probably closest things I'm looking at atm are 130bhp diesel mondeos.....

You're right I'm not happy with any car that I can afford as I'm always making compromises. But clearly, I can only have what I can afford.

(05-07-2012, 05:33 PM)Ruan Wrote: FYI my car is about 175-180hp and I continually get 55-60mpg out of it...

With a blowing head gasket.

I can't insure your car lol.......

Next car I get will have to remain standard due the insurance wankers. :/ and a blowing headgasket....hmm, I've driven with one of them, constantly worrying about it. :/
Thanks given by:
Why is your insurance so bad? Most companies hardly effect the premium for 150hp? Well not now im 20+ anyway, how old are you?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  smoke on boost puglove 6 1,388 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Black smoke with exhaust and egr valve smoke in engine Welshy_Pete 35 12,123 30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle