URGENT : Glow Plug System is dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT : Glow Plug System is dead
So, on Friday afternoon when leaving work my glow plugs stopped working.

I'm pretty sure it's not the plugs themselves. What's happening is that the glow plug light on the dash isn't coming on at all, and the relay is not clicking. I've tried replacing the relay with ones I found in other XUDs in the scrap yard with no results. What was really odd was that the light came on and the relay clicked just once this morning before it all stopped again.

I sort of need the car to get to work, so any advice / help is much needed! Huh

The car in question is a '97 Ph1 XLdt.
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ive had this before where the glow plug light didnt come on and the relay wasnt clicking.

then one day it started working again!

i suppose best way to find out if the relay is at fault is to trace the 12v feed which makes the relay work and just try it on the battery and see if it works that way.

On the 309 i had to make my own wiring for the glow plug relay as it was a petrol car before, and its fairly easy, one switched live, feed abck to the light, thich wire from battery and then thick wire to glow plugs
Thanks given by:
Well, the next option once my dad turns up to help tomorrow (wanted to go to a car show tomorrow, damn it. That isn't happening now) is to just wire up a manual button for the glow plugs on the dashboard somewhere!

I'm not very confident messing about with electrics myself. I fear I'd end up electrocuting myself or setting something on fire, lol.
Thanks given by:
Pretty straight foward to be honest. You need a 4 pin relay, connect one leg of the coil to earth, the other side needs to be routed into the dash to a switched live via your switch. The remaing relay legs need to go to your battery and one to the glow plug rail, you may need a chunky cable and a fuse for this bit.

Job done!

( ill draw a diagram later if you are stuck)
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Or short term, small set of jump leads and bonnet up everytime u want to start, one end on the battery, one end on the wire going to the plugs!
Thanks given by:
is there not a main fuse for this in the engine bay in the black box?
Thanks given by:
Hmm, soooo... after messing about with a few relays, and the inertia switch, it started working again.

Bloody temperamental French cars... Censored
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glow plug relay - help please Pugmarshall 5 2,310 13-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Last Post: weka
  Glow plug Amps Daniel306 18 5,069 17-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  rounded off glow plug Chris_90 22 5,843 08-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Chris_90