Which alternator to go for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which alternator to go for?
Evening guys,

As some of you may have read, my alternator is on it's last legs and so I need to find a replacement. From doing some browsing, there seem to be a large amount of options to choose from, ranging from 50 amps to 90 amps, but all stating '306 1.9 XUD fitment'..

Am I right in thinking that from '95 - '99 all XUD alternators used the same bolt fitment? They seem to be made by various manufacturers, Lucas/Bosch/Valeo etc.

If anyone is selling an alternator let me know,

Cheers

Toby.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
ive a couple in the garage, had a fiddle with the bearings before i stored them, *think* they were good, and were working when removed from the cars a few years back.
one came off an xsi and one came off a p reg 1.9XLDT

wantings? yours for tuppence
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Get as many amps as you can afford.

And no they dont all have the same fitment..

Theres 3 types of fitting, but most likely its one of two as the third is rare...

You either have a double bolt down the back (two big studs) OR one big stud down the bottom and a smaller 13mm bolt that holds it to the pump bracket...so just look and see if the top of your alternator is attached the the front of the injector pump bracket....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I got a bosch whivh was refurbed 6month ago for sale can have off engine this week
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ive got one £20 if you want it Smile
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
lower amp ones are for petrols, bigger amps for diesels generally speaking.
as darren said, get the biggest amp one you can, even ones of 406s are good replacements Smile
Thanks given by:
However it would appear no one read the comment about the fitment...

There's two types.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the comments guys, Samass was gracious enough to pop over to mine and we swapped out the aux belt and replaced the alternator in ~90 mins. I had one small 13mm bolt holding it to the fuel pump bracket and a much longer 21mm (I think) bolt which goes through 2 holes in the bottom of the 'nator.

Now just got to sort out my water leak... -.-
Captain Standard

Thanks given by: