Automatic air bleed valve?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic air bleed valve?
Good afternoon all,

Since FCS I have upped boost & fuelling and am now peaking at 28psi.

What I am noticing is that after a hard run the coolant is being pressurised. First thoughts of course are HG issues, however there are no other signs of this (stable running temp etc.)..

I have read on plenty of occasions that high boost pressures can 'lift' the head, momentarily forcing exhaust gases into the coolant system. Could this be what is going on?

I then did some further reading and have found a few 'fixes'.. The most promising one was this guy who fitted an automatic air bleed valve (like the ones found on central heating systems) to the top radiator hose. What this valve does is let out any air/gas whilst not allowing fluid to leak, effectively stopping pressurisation.

Any thoughts? Maybe I should change the HG and perhaps swap to ARP studs.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Can't really see the need unless pulling serious levels of boost I'm sure darren or ruan will be able to say what sort of pressures cause heads to lift on these. To me if a head is lifting even for a split secound and gases and fluids are mixing the heads gaskets not going to last long. Maybe if you are concearned about the head lifting then you may get away with refreshing the head bolts for oem replacements for sensible boost levels
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a weak head gasket that's been further breached with upping the boost. Bear in mInd higher temps will warp a head much more easily
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How old is your head gasket, that's typical failure symptoms... I thought it spewed its coolant on the dyno also... I'd bet on general hg failure, you'll never lift the head on a stock turbo... When the head lifts big style you tend to fill the head with air, and it instantly boils over, sort of 110c+...

If its the original gasket, change it, then see what happens, probably be fine for ages...

It's the peak cylinder pressures midrange that f*ck head studs, when you make chronic amounts of torque at lower rpms, the cylinder pressures are mental...

Remember, 28psi on a stock t2 does not equal the airflow of a big turbo at 28psi... My car makes 175hp at 22psi...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Radiator bleed screw/ tap vanished, possible better solution simonh 4 1,414 09-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Last Post: simonh
  TD won't start after replacing bleed off tubes jack_o 17 2,521 15-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Bleed points David 19 5,514 22-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Last Post: David