Throttle problem after gov mod

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throttle problem after gov mod
Hi fellas

Shimmed my gov this evening and now the throttle feels strange, almost off or on. The gov was shimmed approx 5mm as per londondans guide. Max fuel wound out to standard and idle screws refitted.

It starts and idles fine but throttle is more like a switch than progressive. With the engine off, I can feel the throttle stiffen up halfway with the gov. However with the engine running, there's no throttle response apart from ohmigodfullthrottle. I've moved the throttle arm to take up slack on the cable again.

Any ideas?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You may have to adjust the shaft which bolts to the arm through the pump top, sounds like you've set it to far clock-wise. Just a thought..
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Tried that, lifted the throttle arm off and rotated the spindle as I had 2cm of travel before the pump responded. Now though there's no slack, but part throttle makes it rev it's tits off
Thanks given by:
Have you adjusted the max fuel screw?

Sure you shimmed the right bit?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yep, shimmed the right bit. Wound the max fuel out another turn and made no difference...
Thanks given by:
Gov-mod VTEC ftw.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
lol just wound the fuel out until it wouldn't start, then in bit by bit til it just about starts, and it's still doing it. Have i possibly seated it wrongly in the leverset?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, put it back a spline, then wind in the fuel more - that's the problem Smile
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
When you say put it back a spline..?

Do you mean lift the head off, pull the gov out and reseat it? Or just lift the throttle arm and reseat it?

If the latter, rotate the throttle arm clockwise aye?
Thanks given by:
Nah, just rotate the throttle arm on it's splines...
Thanks given by:
Might be being dumb, but how will that help? It will take up the free play at the beginning of throttle travel, but it'll still rev it's tits off at the trigger point surely?
Thanks given by:
Sorry to butt in and jack the thread abit but did you do the gov mod whilst pump was on the car ? I'm really wanting to do mine iv read all the guide and stuff a million times but it looks a lot simpler how he did it on the living room floor lol did you have to replace any seals?
Thanks given by:
Yeah pump was on the car, only fiddly bit was unhooking the gov cradle. You have to lift the head up at the right-hand side and tilt it backwards. Bit of a pita but a bit of wiggling sorted it
Thanks given by:
Cheers pal once the rain stops I'll be giving it a go Smile you not have to replace any seals/gaskets?
Thanks given by:
Nah seems to have sealed ok. Only seals loosened were the seal on the head and the one on the max fuel screw and they were both in decent nick.
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2012, 09:19 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Might be being dumb, but how will that help? It will take up the free play at the beginning of throttle travel, but it'll still rev it's tits off at the trigger point surely?

Nah, it's because your max fuel screw is in too much at the moment to keep it running, therefore it's trying to run away, any more it'd start running away on idle, so be careful.
Thanks given by:
It's wound all the way out Ruan. Wound it out til it wouldn't start, then in a turn so it's just about getting fuel, it's still running away at part throttle

In fact, just had a read of the various VE forums. Am I right in thinking that a shimmed gov under no load will have noticeably less throttle speed control at part throttle? Haven't actually driven it since I shimmed it, just part throttle under no load and the revs shoot up.

Is that normal? I have a nagging feeling now that it is...
Thanks given by:
No mate thats not normal at all. You should still have a progressive throttle. When you turn the throttle shaft by hand, does it feel notchy, it should feelsmooth. for 60-70% of the way round, it will then come up atainst the gov spring which you should feel the resistance from until it is at the end of travel.
If not it sounds like it is not engaging the leverset properly.
Hope this helps Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Yeah it feels a bit notchy. Like... when you turn it half way you can feel it tighten up, then loosens up again as if it meets and then passes resistance. Should the resistance be constant after it comes up against the gov?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like something isn't right mate, it should be really smooth until you hit the gov.......
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Nopes, it feels like it catches at part travel and then behaves as if it's WOT. Was interesting moving it down the drive last night to let the other car out lmao

Will whip the head of the pump off and try again. Reading the VE forums suggests trying to reassemble by locating the gov cradle on the leverset first, and THEN dropping the head onto it.
Thanks given by:
Yea you can put the pump back together that way, just down to what different people find easier. Defo sounds like it needs to come apart though.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
This has been shimmed on the max fuel spring yes? I shimmed the intermediate one once (so both max fuel and intermediate were effectively together) and it meant that there was no control midrange, and it responded very much how you are describing... would idle ok, but once off the idle spring revs were uncontrollable while stationary... it looked like this...

[Image: 20136_224850989005_6323792_n.jpg]
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Fark Dave, solid much?! Nah was definitely the main spring. Stripped and rebuilt the head, must have had the cradle seated wrong as it's spot on now.
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2012, 03:52 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Fark Dave, solid much?! Nah was definitely the main spring. Stripped and rebuilt the head, must have had the cradle seated wrong as it's spot on now.

Hehe I followed a guide years ago that was put up on a VW site?? Its wrong like that anyway, but still worked fine just couldnt maintain +3k~ stationary, was perfectly fine while driving though as the gov has little/no effect because the engines always under load..
Thanks given by:
Was it vwvortex by any chance? I noticed they had a revised gov mod guide as everyone was shimming the wrong spring lol
Thanks given by:
Yeh I think it was from there...
Thanks given by: