Really stuck with new car choices...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really stuck with new car choices...
(21-06-2012, 04:15 PM)mark_airey Wrote:
(21-06-2012, 04:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(21-06-2012, 04:08 PM)Dan! Wrote: Brilliant outlook there Tom. Think of the car I could afford if I didnt drive for the next 10 years! Rolleyes

Err, no.

If you insured a normal car for two years thats already saved you £3k in insurance........

The car isn't the problem though is it, its the 8 points with only 2 years no claims!

I was allowing a grand for a 'normal' car.........thats a lot higher than mine (£500 on the NAD lol, £700 on a HDi, £900 on a 180bhp golf), surely his insurance cant be that much more!?
Thanks given by:
A dturbo is still £1300 for me. Think yourself lucky for once in your life Tom.
Thanks given by:
Why petrol fella? Tongue
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Because truthfully, new diesels are boring, shit to tune and expensive when they go wrong. Theres only a handful of diesel cars/engines that I would actually desire and all of them are on the older end of the scale, pretty much is a sentence, 306/205 XUD, Old shape merc E class 300D and an E36 BMW 325TDS. Thats it lol And I do intend to own at least one or all of them at some point in my life, but I really fancy something that handles brilliantly standard and has a petrolly exhaust note and high revving engine <3 and seeing as I currently have more disposable income and live so close to work, I figured now was the time to scratch that itch iv had for a few months! Smile

Edit, and as im thinking about it/before i forget........

[Image: 7394114806_8aecbfb670_z.jpg]
306oc Camping by Daan!, on Flickr

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2012, 04:46 PM)Dan! Wrote: I figured now was the time to scratch that itch iv had for a few months! Smile

Hard to scratch itches with two broken arms ay?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
lady garden ay?

Sad
Thanks given by:
MX5 or old Merc derv.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
my brothers got a mint 1990 mx5 in blue 1.6 and thats awesome Big Grin great fun! and he paid 1000 for that
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2012, 05:27 PM)Joe Wrote: my brothers got a mint 1990 mx5 in blue 1.6 and thats awesome Big Grin great fun! and he paid 1000 for that

Off topic I know but when did he buy it?
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
ebay, dont know where from, mint though
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-RX-8-on-...27c80dfd18

Do iiiiiiiiiiiiit Wink
[Image: 43f2473c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
G508 TAG by any chance?
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
insurance on that would be a killer for sure. very nice though.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Rx-8 is serious win. It's even called winning blue!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
The RX8s are not as bad to insure as you think....but the low/sub 20mpg will be something to get used to lol
[Image: 43f2473c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
But they look like theyve been hit with the barry boy stick from the factory... Sad
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(21-06-2012, 03:03 PM)Dan! Wrote: im not going to just give up driving or buy a 106 NAD just because its cheaper! Smile

Honestly though, ragging the arse out of one on a backroad is silly-fun Big Grin Not to mention mortifying for the cars you overtake... Rolleyes

(21-06-2012, 04:46 PM)Dan! Wrote: Because truthfully, new diesels are boring, shit to tune and expensive when they go wrong. Theres only a handful of diesel cars/engines that I would actually desire and all of them are on the older end of the scale, pretty much is a sentence, 306/205 XUD, Old shape merc E class 300D and an E36 BMW 325TDS. Thats it lol And I do intend to own at least one or all of them at some point in my life, but I really fancy something that handles brilliantly standard and has a petrolly exhaust note and high revving engine <3 and seeing as I currently have more disposable income because I can't get my wallet out from my back-pocket, I figured now was the time to scratch that itch iv had for a few months! Smile

EFA Rolleyes

(21-06-2012, 05:41 PM)Craig-o Wrote: The RX8s are not as bad to insure as you think....but the low/sub 20mpg will be something to get used to lol

per gallon of oil? Yeah sounds about right!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Of your choices the MX5 is probably best. Don't get a girly one though - get a MK1 like a man. And an Import. Where possible, get a 1.8 RS too. So much aftermarket support and you can turbocharge one for £1000. My old 1.8 was the absolute cream-of-the-crop at £3,300 (what I sold it for) and nice examples can be found WAY under that. Pre-turbocharged, pre-supercharged, you name it, the market is rich with choice.

The Celica will depress you. Not least because you are looking at the girly one. Granted, it gets better MPG, but these cars don't really have much 'soul', even the 190 version quickly got boring (think it's the shortest ownership of a car I've had).

The Hyundai is just utter shit. Even the lazy, thirsty V6 will be depressing. Me and Nick were on our way back from the Christmas meet 3 years ago in his Rallye and we ripped one of these Coupés a new one, the blokes face just dropped. That'll be you Dan...

(21-06-2012, 01:32 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: DC2 Teg Type R? - OK if you drive on a race track everyday. Otherwise, a little bit too raw for most.

GTi6? - Long in the tooth now, but by all means if you can find a good one...

DT? - WTAF?

s2k (If you save a bit more)? - A lot more.

EP3 Type R? - Bit too common? Again you have to wring its' neck to get any performance from it, some people just don't like driving that way (it gets very tiring)

Leon Cupra R? - A Golf in drag? They're not that bad, but they're not £3k either, not for an 'R. You could get a Cupra 180 though, but they're again too common I think.

205gti? - Bit old.

106 gti? - Backwards step IMO. 106 GTi is the perfect car to have at 19/20 years old, but Dan having already owned more 'mature' cars I don't think he'll take well to a tinny 106.

If you can find a good one, the Nissan 200SX would be a good shout. S14 shape should be possible but bear in mind it will need work as they love to rust. It'll likely have the more common Auto box unless you get lucky, too. A 180SX might be more realistic on your budget but these are not ageing as well.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
considered a caterham???? Tongue they are convertible, RWD, sweet sound.... ahhh lush..... Tongue oh and petrol
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2012, 07:41 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: DC2 Teg Type R? - OK if you drive on a race track everyday. Otherwise, a little bit too raw for most.

GTi6? - Long in the tooth now, but by all means if you can find a good one...

DT? - WTAF?

s2k (If you save a bit more)? - A lot more.

EP3 Type R? - Bit too common? Again you have to wring its' neck to get any performance from it, some people just don't like driving that way (it gets very tiring)

Leon Cupra R? - A Golf in drag? They're not that bad, but they're not £3k either, not for an 'R. You could get a Cupra 180 though, but they're again too common I think.

205gti? - Bit old.

106 gti? - Backwards step IMO. 106 GTi is the perfect car to have at 19/20 years old, but Dan having already owned more 'mature' cars I don't think he'll take well to a tinny 106.

But CAR he's not looking for a daily, he's looking for a fun weekend car. Fun being crucial (well that's how I read it anyway). Therefore, having to rev the nuts out of it, or being 'too raw' shouldn't really affect the choice; it'll make it more fun and more special to drive harder anyway...

Or am I reading this wrong Dan!?

However, I rescind my suggestion of a Cupra R; they are ok, but shit to drive hard; just very insulated from the driving experience, and lots of understeer on the limit...

Same with the EP3 from memory too... just understeery at the limit...

I still stand by the 106 gti though; pretty cheap, and enough fun near-standard if you want to just keep it for the weekends as a toy. OR if you decide to track it, there are loads of tried and tested shiny bits to make it more track-spec, and they can quite easily be made to be real giant killers, which is always fun Tongue

Caterham owners have bigger adenoids than me though, which is an issue in a car championed for it's Power to Weight ratio and low COG...
I do secretly lust after a Dax Rush though [Image: 2008%2011%2016_0163_edited-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Rx8 NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

My mate has one, shit to drive, uncomfortable, shit mpg, worse driving position ever, smell funny, fat arse and wise as fook, plus you can only take it to Mazda as noone else has a clue about rotary engines!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2012, 10:55 AM)Matt Wrote: Rx8 NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

My mate has one, shit to drive, uncomfortable, shit mpg, worse driving position ever, smell funny, fat arse and wise as fook, plus you can only take it to Mazda as noone else has a clue about rotary engines!

That and it wasn't very impressive IIRC. Fooby and you both said it was a bit flat...?
Thanks given by:
Ek9 civic /end thread Wink
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2012, 11:00 AM)declantg Wrote: Ek9 civic /end thread Wink

But why would he want a civic?? Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Civics are the sex!
[Image: db4ce8414784ebf8200c65b5dde9f19d.wix_mp]
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
That looks shit
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2012, 09:46 AM)Grant Wrote: Send him a message back sayin that is fine, but the price has increased to

One billion dollars, in a dr evil voice

And I guarantee they will agree, and ask for payment details
Haha

(22-06-2012, 10:56 AM)Ed Doe Wrote:
(22-06-2012, 10:55 AM)Matt Wrote: Rx8 NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

That and it wasn't very impressive IIRC. Fooby and you both said it was a bit flat...?

It was fuxked, spent 1500 fixing it, and still slower than the xsi Tongue
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2012, 11:05 AM)declantg Wrote: Civics are the sex!
[Image: db4ce8414784ebf8200c65b5dde9f19d.wix_mp]

They are also slow Tongue and that one looks wank, also the EG ones look loads better Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
RX8s are a bit wank really, don't drive that nicely, horrible on fuel, terribly unreliable, horrible on oil consumption...

DC2 - you pay MEGA scene tax on them, horrible to insure because even though there us a UK one, it's still pretty much classed as a Jap import. GREAT handling cars if you like a good FWD, probably one of the best FWD chassis going, B18 engine is a peach, revs hard, pretty reliable, nigh on 200hp... But if you're like me, you'll get irritated by the god awful noise they produce 24/7 - don't think driving easy makes them any better, the noise is just as loud off the throttle as it is on the throttle.

EP3s - Good choice, don't handle badly, the whole understeer on the limit thing, almost ALL cars are like that, 306s are too, it's just when you lift they go into oversteer, when you modify them they aren't like that at all... But you're comparing stock to modified here... K20 engine is one of the best around, but I couldn't have one for the dull as f*ck looks.

Leon Cupra - They really don't handle all that well, they're not a drivers car really, a quick golf essentially, just too numb.

GTi6 - You know what I think about them, they do handle nicely, especially if you do a few choice mods, bad on fuel, cambelt every 30k and need an extra 30-40hp to pull off the horrible economy IMHO.

DT - Again you know what I think, but if you can't be arsed fannying around with changing suspension, bumpers, brakes, interior, blah... You can't just buy and drive, you have to make a project out of it. 55mpg, 180+hp, boost, win. I don't need to go any further.

S2k - You won't insure one, simple as. I can't and I've got no points, 3 years NCB, I'm 21 and it'd still be over £2k for me... Lovely cars though, I'd have one in a heartbeat - not that good on fuel, HORRIFIC scene tax on any shiny parts. Also the AP1s are a bit of a handful if you poke the noise pedal a bit too much, the AP2s are much better, but are still £6k+ to buy.

205GTi - Old, worth a fortune, likely to drop you into a ditch, not that quick by modern standards unless you play with them, but of course there's the whole thing they don't need to be fast...

106GTi - They are fecking small cars, I love them to bits, they do drive and handle better than a GTi6 in honesty, but as said, they are a toy car really... Depends what you want in a car, if you want to go quick, make lots of noise and generally be a hooligan - excellent cars.

MX5 - Great cars, these days the older ones are rust buckets, they're up in value at the moment due to summer, they are very underpowered for the amount of fuel they use, excellent handling, a few choice mods and they handle like a dream, but if you want to go quick, you're going to need to put something labelled "Garrett" under the hood... They are brilliant to drive, though, if you're not worried about being destroyed by pretty much any "hot" car today, then go ahead... But you're a tall guy, you'll struggle to drive one, I can barely drive one, they're very cramped...

That's my view on it really...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Okay based on the criteria he's stipulated I've pulled one out the bag that ticks most boxes:

It's German
Convertible
Can be had for cheaps
Insurance is SHIT CHEAP!
RWD!!!

[Image: 41sRP2mDDoL.jpg]

Honestly though do what was said before get yourself a 106 D or Saxo whatever pick em up cheap enough stick with it a year or two get your no claims up (and get the points off the license!) and you're pretty much f*cking sorted with what you can get that disposable income would be much better saved up getting yourself something a whole heap nicer than any of those cars...and IMHO you'll look a real lady garden in a Celica or the Hyundai!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Negative Scanner choices Magenta Sunset 5 1,726 17-01-2018, 09:10 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  New Car time. so many choices ozonehostile 22 6,832 17-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Laptop choices. Jonny81191 10 2,530 15-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191