Tuning this badboy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuning this badboy?
Hi all, was talking to a mate at work and he wants to make his shitty defender faster, so i had a look and bish bash boschWink So is this the same as tuning a 306? or am i missing something? also why the blanking cap over the lda?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
All VE's are pretty much the same principles inside, so the conventional tuning methods will apply, increase max fuel and boost slightly and in theory you should get more power, as long as nothing else is restricting (fuel lines/filter/air filter/exhaust/intake pipe etc)
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Whip the head off the pump and see? I know the semi ecu Bosch pumps have a blanking cap but if it has an LDA fitted it's probably just not adjustable in terms of preload. Assuming it should be a similar idea internally to our pumps?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is the LDA blanking cap not just an anti-tamper cover, like what you originally have on the max fuel screw?
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
You have the boost compensation function, just has an anti tamper function as said ^
Thanks given by:
yeh, pop off the anti-tamper cap, adjust the LDA screw (outwards), turn the fuel up and away you go.

BUT just FYI, my friend has the same setup and MY GOD these vehicles are SLOW! the turbo is easily accessible, as in, you have the entire engine bay to jump around in, so i would perhaps wack an upgrade on it!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Screw her out boys!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Cant see it lasting long, best to just change it out for a 300Tdi
Thanks given by:
Lol Ive seen one 306 with a blanking cap and my 405, guess they're all 'tampered'
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2012, 08:54 AM)con67 Wrote: Lol Ive seen one 306 with a blanking cap and my 405, guess they're all 'tampered'

ermmmmmm . . .that'd be a yes . Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2012, 08:54 AM)con67 Wrote: Lol Ive seen one 306 with a blanking cap and my 405, guess they're all 'tampered'

Most of the PSA group cars that I have seen with bosch pumps don't have the anti tamper on the LDA cap, normally just on the max fuel and the security crap round the solenoid, landrover and rover ones all seem to have the LDA anti tamper too Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2012, 09:43 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Cant see it lasting long, best to just change it out for a 300Tdi

nooo 200tdi's are far better. Iv had mine screwed right out for the last 3 years with no problems

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(19-06-2012, 09:23 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Screw her out boys!

[Image: chief-wigum-simpsons_www-txt2pic-com.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2012, 09:21 AM)Oil-burner Wrote:

did any one else read that in wigums voice?
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(20-06-2012, 09:56 AM)Ben Jay Wrote:
(20-06-2012, 09:21 AM)Oil-burner Wrote:

did any one else read that in wigums voice?

Thought it was just me who was weird like that lmao
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
So get the anti tamper covers off, right out with the lda, could open the cap and bin the washer and adjust the preload, wind the max fuel in half turn, 3/4's? anything i missed?
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2012, 05:02 PM)tomw1123 Wrote: So get the anti tamper covers off, right out with the lda, could open the cap and bin the washer and adjust the preload, wind the max fuel in half turn, 3/4's? anything i missed?

Don't forget to rotate the wastegate arm to suit the new fuel.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
So really i need to tell him to get a boost gauge aswell :/ wonder what psi is safe on these, hes got a fmic on it aswell
Thanks given by:
Welding the wastegate shut wouldn't require a boost gauge. Smile
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
No point because its so accessible from the engine bay it would only take seconds to adjust Wink
Thanks given by:
Just extra fuel is likely to have pretty big gains without touching the turbo...it does on the 200/300tdi anyway..

Be carefull with to much boost with the heads on those things...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys.. how much of a turn on the max fuel should i go for?
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2012, 04:06 PM)tomw1123 Wrote: Cheers guys.. how much of a turn on the max fuel should i go for?

Turn it up till it smokes.. Then down till its hazy.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
So hazy in 3rd gear on full boost and that should be fine?
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2012, 11:31 AM)tomw1123 Wrote: So hazy in 3rd gear on full boost and that should be fine?

should be clean on full boost imo mate . . . . .haze is unburnt fuel=wasted veg/diesel and higher EGT's than need be . . . aim to be clean on full boost is my advice,bit of smoke getting there is standard issue though . . . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
So i got the warrenty covers off today what a faff lol turned the boost comp all the way out and the fuel screw had one turn and its a light haze on full boost so i asked matey if it felt any quicker and he said i dont know i dont usually drive it like this and i was like ffs how does the driver not even know if its any better lol
Thanks given by:
Why is he tuning it if he dosent drive it quickly, or does he just want more of a torque burst...
Thanks given by:
He said its because he gets annoyed with the lack of pulling power up hills him having to change down gears etc so just wanted some more torque.....Tbh for how much it weighs i thought it pulled well, didnt help that he was slow changing gear but it still flt like it pulled well to me Smile and it was boost comp all the way out and one full turn of the fuel screw (just for future reference)
Thanks given by:
Well bit more of an update on this just because people are stupid... He said the truck was smoking loads and had to turn it back lol it was the very lightest whisp on full chat so straight away i thought here we go. He then took it to his garage that fixes his truck and they told him that the way i tuned it was wrong and that i could of blown it up.. so i said ah right yeh whatever whats there method of tuning then soo he says to me the diaphram mate and and then blahblahblah turns out all they do is take the lda cap of and turn the lda but they dont even take it out they just turn the black bit and drive it then do the same til they think its better.. i said that wont make it any more powerful but nonnononono there mechanics not me im wrong -.- Stupid prick /rant over
Thanks given by: