XUD struggling after 4k

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD struggling after 4k
This is regarding a friend of mines car ('Ben' on here - no posts yet the lazy salmon...). He recently had it in the garage for a new turbo (T2) and a FMIC. All been fitted now and the cars running fairly well.

At first as soon as it came out of the garage:-

- Idled badly when cold, pump must have been a bit retarded, fair bit of white smoke (Idled fine hot)
- 26psi (Turbo had obviously been fiddled before, was bought off ebay....)
- Pulled fairly well, but was obvious it wasnt at full potential, not much power after 4k
- Clean on boost, no smoke at all
- Slower overall than the previous setup (GT15 @ 20psi and TMIC)

The other day we had a go at sorting it out. I advanced the pump a bit, assuming this would cure the idle and also cure the lack of fuelling top end. Also would in another 2 turns on the max fuel as it was running clean on boost previously. Started it up and went for a test drive!

- Idled nicely from cold , no white smoke
- Still 26psi
- Pulled much better low down and mid range, still pathetic after 4k.
- Smokey on boost
- Quicker than the GT15/TMIC setup

Baring in mind the pump has been gov modded, any idea what the problem could be? Pump is almost fully advanced and theres plenty of fuel/air going in.

Also worth noting theres a bit of a leak from the turbo/downpipe atm, possibly related?!?!

Help XUD gods :pray:

Thanks given by:
Mine will only rev nicely too 4.5k. JP says he hardly goes over that either from when we went for a drive at the xmas meet.

How smokey is it on boost if its not bad add more fuel.

Has the pin been ground down? Have you rotated the inside of the top of the pump. You can throw in more fuel and lower the idle on the back of the pump. Just some idea's no idea if it will work.
Thanks given by:
Pompey306mark Wrote:Mine will only rev nicely too 4.5k. JP says he hardly goes over that either from when we went for a drive at the xmas meet.

How smokey is it on boost if its not bad add more fuel.

Has the pin been ground down? Have you rotated the inside of the top of the pump. You can throw in more fuel and lower the idle on the back of the pump. Just some idea's no idea if it will work.

Cheers Mark.

Trouble is my 205 was gov-modded so I know how it should feel, but once it gets to 4k the enging takes a serious amount ot time to get to 5k, it revs almost as if its just running a standard lucas pump tbh.

Quite smokey on boost now, ideally needs turning down, so its not that.....

Still on a stock LDA pin, but it has been rotated to the shallower side. Dont think it needs any more fuel though, so LDA/more max fuel turns shouldnt be neccesary, imo.

Cheers again Smile
Thanks given by:
Did you gov mod the pump mate?

If not are you 100% its been done? and when you pull the throttle arm by hand can you feel the gov at the end of the stroke and how stiff does it feel?

Because what you are describing sounds exactly like the gov kicking in to me mate :?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Whats the fuel filter like?

If it's running a genuine peugeot filter then they're quite restrictive with plastic covering all the outside of the filter, leaving kjust the bottom to suck up.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Did you gov mod the pump mate?

If not are you 100% its been done? and when you pull the throttle arm by hand can you feel the gov at the end of the stroke and how stiff does it feel?

Because what you are describing sounds exactly like the gov kicking in to me mate :?

Just about to write the same thing. If it has been done it may have been done wrong.

Although you (or he) may not want to rev it past 4k, it should. Mine will fuel off the clock I think, I bottled it at 5.5k but it was still pulling.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Did you gov mod the pump mate?

Yep, modified it myself. Only shimmed it about 3 or 4mm, not loads but should still have a better effect than this? And yeah you can feel it on the throttle arm Smile

KrisB Wrote:Whats the fuel filter like?

If it's running a genuine peugeot filter then they're quite restrictive with plastic covering all the outside of the filter, leaving kjust the bottom to suck up.

Quite a good point actually. I have a feeling it was changed about 6 months ago, but could be quite restrictive as you say. Worth checking anyway, cheers Kris Smile
Thanks given by:
londondan86 Wrote:Just about to write the same thing. If it has been done it may have been done wrong.

Although you (or he) may not want to rev it past 4k, it should. Mine will fuel off the clock I think, I bottled it at 5.5k but it was still pulling.

Deffinately done right Smile And yeah my 205 was the same so I know what it should rev like, and I can tell somethings not happy... :think:
Thanks given by:
No prob, just thought it might be worth asking, Kris has a point, for the cost of a filter I would change it anyway. I had a dirty filter after few weeks running veg for first time and that had the same problem until I changed it!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
And air filter.

I think people forget how sensitive the xud engines are to servicing.
Thanks given by:
KrisB Wrote:And air filter.

I think people forget how sensitive the xud engines are to servicing.
how sensitive are they? . . . . .say on a scale of 1 to 306? . . . . .Wink
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Lol, what ya chattin shit for?
Thanks given by:
KrisB Wrote:Lol, what ya chattin shit for?
Haven't got much useful to say tbh . lol . . . . . . . although, what about fuel, is it running on veg? .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
yeah fuel and air filters make a big difference to performance, would be first port of call.

have you adjusted the max fuel screw? :p
Thanks given by:
Govnor performs different in different pumps, Matthews hits about 5.3k or something and I made it so it would rev out and it dosent but mine revs out completely, may need more shims. Or your bot getting the fuel in to keep the ipp up so its just floppin at 4k
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Checked the in tank pickup?
JP
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Struggling to rev DanWY 14 3,083 13-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: DanWY