Coileys or shock absorber

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coileys or shock absorber
if you want to go low, get coilovers
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 08:41 PM)pugtk Wrote: from someone who had a billie b4 and 60mm gmax springs setup on the front,
i personally wouldnt get g-max springs again ,get 30mm eibach springs with the b4s
Pugtk, out of interest, why are you unhappy with the 60mm Gmax springs on the B4 shocks?
Thanks given by:
tbh ive heard a lot of people say gmax springs are a bit shit! i know dum dum rates them big time though!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 09:47 PM)Niall Wrote: tbh ive heard a lot of people say gmax springs are a bit shit! i know dum dum rates them big time though!

Looks like the two options are either:
(a) Gaz GHA kit; or
(b) Bilstein B8s with Eibach 40mm springs.

Which would you go for if your priority was ride comfort and looks (not track handling)?
Thanks given by:
hands down the b8 kit if you're going for lows and looks with more ride comfort retained.

I adore my GHA kit, but they are definitely harsher riding than lowering springs. It's the trade off for epic handling though on a relative budget. You can make them nearly as comfortable as b8s with lowering springs, by adjusting the rebound settings, but it obviously reduces the damping of the springs, meaning you get a more 'bouncy' ride if that makes sense...

But in short, if you want a more comfortable ride, get billys. Tbh though I'd say b6s would suit you better if you're not going for handling; iirc b8s are both more expensive and firmer than the b6s...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Great advice - thank you. B8s have shorter movement too though - which seems to be recommended by Bilstein for applications with springs lower than 30mm (presumably so that the piston doesn't 'bottom-out'). For instance, I would like to achieve a 60mm by using Gmax springs on Bilsteins. So would B8s be best with 60mm springs?
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 11:40 AM)Pipps Wrote: Great advice - thank you. B8s have shorter movement too though - which seems to be recommended by Bilstein for applications with springs lower than 30mm (presumably so that the piston doesn't 'bottom-out'). For instance, I would like to achieve a 60mm by using Gmax springs on Bilsteins. So would B8s be best with 60mm springs?

Sorry I stand corrected. B4s are OEM, B6s are uprated (firmer than stock), B8s are the same spec as b6s but shortened for cars lowered 20mm +

I'm not sure they are intended for 60mm though, but I spose if the stock ones actually go that low, then these will probably work that low too...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
B6s and b8s are identical except for rod length (giggidy)
Seeing as your wanting to go for lows, I'd go b8 but just bear in mind, if you ever want to raise it up, you might have issues with bigger springs on that shock
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Great clarification - thanks.

In order to achieve a 60mm drop, with uprated shocks that will be suited to 60mm springs, would it be best to go for B8s and Gmax springs, or Gmax shocks which are matched with their Gmax springs?

I have 40mm Spax springs already on standard shocks and they are simply not low enough.

I need 60mm.
Thanks given by:
Just ordered these. I was amazed to find that it's 4 shocks and 2 springs within the kit - £238 inc 48hr delivery.

Booked in with KrisB for Friday morning Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear shock bushes Tidoh2016 2 1,356 12-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Snapped koni rear shock absorber, junk or fixable? Spoonaltap 5 2,070 21-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Spoonaltap
  Whats the difference with these shock kits? JTaylor2005 8 2,080 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005