Coileys or shock absorber

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coileys or shock absorber
Looking to lower my car for under £300 and was wondering whether to get coileys or shock absorbers with lowering springs??

My m8 said I might as well get coileys but would like a nice low of 50 - 60mm front and slightly less on rear with decent handling.

Have been looking around and alot of people say bilstein b8 or b6 with springs....

Are b4 any good??

Cheers
Thanks given by:
If you want cheap coilovers go for the usual ebay hot tuning/fk. Ive heard that the bilsteins are pretty good, the rear is torsion bar setup so just a case of pulling the bars out and setting the height all you need is uprated shockers unless your going for handling then get a citroen xsara vts rear beam.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
On your budget. Id go for a set of billie b4/8 with some decent springs and some gaz adjustable rear shocks and a gti rear arb or gti beam If you want handling aswell your not going to get it with coilies for £300, you could get a much better package for you money with springs and shocks

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Jtrigga Wrote:If you want cheap coilovers go for the usual ebay hot tuning/fk. Ive heard that the bilsteins are pretty good, the rear is torsion bar setup so just a case of pulling the bars out and setting the height all you need is uprated shockers unless your going for handling then get a citroen xsara vts rear beam.

What would it be like lowering the front 60mm and back to 50mm on torsion bars but not upgrading the shock on rear??

also what are the advantages and dis to coiley and shock/springs??

Thanks
Thanks given by:
puglove Wrote:On your budget. Id go for a set of billie b4/8 with some decent springs and some gaz adjustable rear shocks and a gti rear arb or gti beam If you want handling aswell your not going to get it with coilies for £300, you could get a much better package for you money with springs and shocks

Ok mate! Will I need about 400 plus for decent coileys??
Thanks given by:
You could buy some half decent sets for £300 I.E Vmaxx but i still dont think you will get the same handling as what you could spend on other things

Better than the £150 ones but still not heard great reviews on these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V-Maxx-Coilov ... 500wt_1054

Thanks given by:
puglove Wrote:You could buy some half decent sets for £300 I.E Vmaxx but i still dont think you will get the same handling as what you could spend on other things

Was just looking at them on ebay! Ok I do like the bilstein setup! Do you mean something like this on rear ?? -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-PEUGEOT- ... 688wt_1163
Thanks given by:
he means these........ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-3 ... 2ebe6ac1f3
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Shocks- £100
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-PEUGEOT- ... 688wt_1037

60mm springs- £50
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-1 ... 940wt_1199

Rear shocks £100
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-3 ... 754wt_1270 <<<<<<GAZ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-H ... 194wt_1037 <<<< billies

then get yourself some gti front and rear ARBs £50ish

Theres your £300 and you have a MASSIVE improvement on handling

Thanks given by:
you both got there before me, the billies iv heard good reviews on, and the gaz are epic, but the billies would be suitable for your set up if you wanted to save a little for arbs ect

Thanks given by:
60mm springs on OE spec shocks will ra*e the shocks pretty swiftly. If you're looking to go that low on shocks & springs then you should really be looking at B8s to retain some of the decent handling.
Thanks given by:
You could get gaz coilies and rear shocks for around £400
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^^ What he said. Well worth it imo...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:You could get gaz coilies and rear shocks for around £400

Can you buy front separate then?? link..
Thanks given by:
Yeah I'd be interested in a link for that too as cheapest I've ever seen them was £450 but would be a bit more tempted at £400!
Thanks given by:
I got my set of GHA's c/w helper springs, main springs with custom rates, and got the Compbrake topmounts sent direct to GAZ to get the top-nut threads turned down to accept a proper nyloc nut for £435 delivered to my door. Can't fault them so far, I'm absolutely in love with how my car handles right now too!! I still need to tweek the damping rates as I know there's still even more to get from them!
Thanks given by:
That's pretty decent to be fair, especially coming straight from the source as the cheapest I had found was eBay and I wouldn't really want to buy something like that from there.

Must admit that the more I read stuff like that about them the more I'm tempted but I've got some second hand shocks to try first though if they turn out to be a bit shagged I'd be very tempted with the GHAs as they seem to get the best reviews per £.
Thanks given by:
Well for some reason Gaz don't have a very good rep on the 6 forum, particularly the gha's. But honestly I don't see why; I think its largely because the people who buy the 'cheaper' end of the coilover market are going more for looks, and therefore don't bother researching how to set them up properly or what spring rates to go for. They then invariably end up with way too hard main springs, inevitably with only a gti rear beam, and as a result irrespective of what rebound setting you adjust it to, it's still going to suffer from fairly chronic understeer on the limit.

They then go on the 6 forum to moan about it, setting a bad rep. And all those who research and have the money to afford much more exotic/expensive set-ups then jump on the bandwagon and thus they get a bad name.

As far as I can tell, if you bother to do the research, and know what spring rates you need etc, the GHA's are a genuinely good product!

I will say though if you're going for a 40-50mm drop, bilstein b8s and eibachs are supposed to be a very good combo, and they also retain much of the oem ride comfort... I have no personal experience with these however, and from memory they are around the £500mark from when I last checked...

And if you get bilsteins, it means you can't put adjustable topmounts on them. Which is a big disadvantage imo! Tongue
Thanks given by:
V-Maxx coilovers or Billy b8's???

V-Max Coilover - £300 all in

B8's and 60mm spring - £400
Thanks given by:
Never used any of them as yet but the B8 set-up gets very good reviews all round really but it depends if you think 60mm may be too much or too little which is where the coilovers come in to play so you can get the height exactly as you want it.

Personally I'd be going for the B8s but depends if you want flexibility.
Thanks given by:
Speaking of E/T's Ed, can you slap a pic up of this bizzarre washer type thing I need? Cheers
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread....592&page=2

The blue anodised 'chinese hats' are the bits you need.

If still in doubt give me a call/txt Big Grin

Or better still go on my old 6 project thread you lazy git!!! There are oodles of photos of em from just about every angle as I was so excited about the shinyshiny! lol
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2012, 08:41 PM)scottbmxer Wrote:
Connor Wrote:You could get gaz coilies and rear shocks for around £400

Can you buy front separate then?? link..

The guy that sells them on eBay, message him and he can sell you the fronts only, last time i checked with him he said it was £300 delivered for the fronts only
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ed you are a star!
Cheers mate, just couldn't picture it in my head, but now I know what im after I can ring up and order them.
Nice one Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2012, 07:31 PM)puglove Wrote: Rear shocks £100
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-H ... 194wt_1037 <<<< billies

Are these the same as the GTi rear shocks that are fitted as standard?
Thanks given by:
ive got them on my car and are very good for what you pay but they are well overpriced. think new when i got mine they were about 75-80 delivered (although i got mine second hand for 30 anyway!)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
So would this, this and this, be a good road setup for a sound 60mm drop?
Thanks given by:
the shocks i will rate big time for a good all rounder and fantastic value for money. the springs im a bit sceptical about. Try and go for a decent brand such as spax or eibach. what model 306 do you have? i had spax springs on my 1.8 and they were very good but now have eibach on my gti and its a whole world better!

Personally i think the rear would benefit from being stiffer slightly but this could be because ive got t1rs which arnt the best! sure with better gripping tyres it would be ok
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
from someone who had a billie b4 and 60mm gmax springs setup on the front,
i personally wouldnt get g-max springs again ,get 30mm eibach springs with the b4s
Thanks given by:
But then it will only be 30mm lower - not 60mm! Speechless

I can only find Spax and Gmax offering 60mm springs.

What should be done when you want to go low?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear shock bushes Tidoh2016 2 1,354 12-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Snapped koni rear shock absorber, junk or fixable? Spoonaltap 5 2,069 21-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Spoonaltap
  Whats the difference with these shock kits? JTaylor2005 8 2,080 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005