306 hdi Extra Laggy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 hdi Extra Laggy
Recently i have been experiencing a dramatic loss of power, im not happy Sad

Im going to have a quick look over the car tomorrow, what should i look for and are there any common things to check.

Im going to guess the problem may be something to do with MAF or turbo/boost pipes. I not experiencing any black smoke, well no more that usual, it just seems to be rather laggy.

I did a part service last week, and will be changing fuel filter tomorrow.

Any help is greatly appreciated Smile I just want my HDi back.
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Unplug the MAF, see if owt happens?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Thats added to the to do list then, i have noticed a wire to the maf think its the middle/whit one which is damaged so need to repair this. The MAF better be ok as i dont want to pay £100 for a new one.
Thanks given by:
Ok so new gasket in on the manifold elbow to get rid of that little leak, but i unplugged the MAF and i had booooost, so now to go spend far too much on a bloody sensor Sad
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure they are £100.

It's a few years back now but I replaced one for a customer with a part from GSF for about £65 inc VAT, and it was an OEM spec one... are they really £100 now?

Dave
Thanks given by:
£40 on ebay for a pattern one not sure whether there any good i need to get one myself, but now have a map made up that doesn't use the maf for a minute Smile
Thanks given by:
Wonkey you say your map doesnt use the maf? how so?

Does anyone know if there is any problems with running without the maf plugged in permanently
Thanks given by:
Youll lose some power and economy, but apart from that... got the same issue on mine, so something else to sort before fcs. :roll:
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
At the moment it feels like it hasn't lost any power, beings as i never had any before i unplugged it. Cant you take the MAF off the other hdi?
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, must have been really screwed then lol. Oh yeah, but it's another thing i haven't got time to deal with.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its a five minute job to change, if i was there ide do it for you...... just because i would wanna try it on my car before i go and buy a new one from peugeot.

Yeah totally screwed to the point i had to put it in 4th gear with a car full of stuff to go up an incline on the motorway Sad
Thanks given by:
Fozzy Wrote:Wonkey you say your map doesnt use the maf? how so?

Does anyone know if there is any problems with running without the maf plugged in permanently

There is a map the car uses to 'simulate' the MAF reading when the MAF isn't present.

So the car should still run ok... you could also tune that other map in theory too, but it's all getting a bit silly by that point. The MAF is there for a good reason. Just because you can bodge it to work without one doesn't make it good, it just means it's bodged Big Grin
It'll either run less rich than needed at times, or richer than needed, so either costing you power or costing you wasted fuel and smoke. If it was a perfect compromise then Pug wouldn't have bothered with a MAF to start with hehe.

Chances are with so many hundreds of thousands (or millions even?) of these engines around in the UK now you will probably find an ok one in a scrappers. Just make sure you don't pay over £10 unless you get the chance to check it or return it if not happy etc!

I know cars with working original mafs at 150k miles, so they can last. I think most failures are random so a 50k mile 307 HDi or Xsara with one in might last you years Smile

Dave
Thanks given by:
I went down to my local scrappy the other day to look for a MAF...

None - every HDi down there had it gone, there was probably 7 or 8 of them, and they were all gone!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Mine has gone at 150k so i spose its done well.

There are some in the scrappy near me but no idea of condition.

Does anyone know whether the new MAF will take time to 're learn' so i wont see improvement straight away?
Thanks given by:
Tried cleaning it? Sprayed mine with contact cleaner while back and looked like loads of grime dripping out
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
i replaced it with a new one today and its back on form, i missed boost so much.
Thanks given by:
Sweet, glad to hear a decent resolution to this!
Thanks given by: