boost control hold position 306

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boost control hold position 306
just a quick one, would it be possible to drill the inlet manifold for the boost control valve instead of drilling on the bend or past the bend?? Has anyone done it before and got any pictures? cheers ant
Thanks given by:
ANTB1986 Wrote:just a quick one, would it be possible to drill the inlet manifold for the boost control valve instead of drilling on the bend or past the bend?? Has anyone done it before and got any pictures? cheers ant

Boost control would be done via turbo no ?
You have confused me?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
If he means a boost gauge then yeah drill the inlet
I think he means a manual boost controller, Im not too sure but just cut the pipe between the turbo lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
shit sorry my bad. yeah a boost gauge i mean, heads all over the place. does it matter where i drill on the inlet?
Thanks given by:
The elbow is ally so will be easier to drill and tap.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
There's a couple of circular flat spots on the elbow that are perfect for drilling and tapping for a gauge. Makes it easier to do and gives a good fitting for a nipple to connect the pipe to.
Thanks given by:
Cheers pal. I'm going to do it 2day due to be bored
Thanks given by:
Best to drill in the inlet manifold elbow, just in case something goes wrong, the elbow can easily be taken out and replaced, the manifold cannot.
Thanks given by:
all done. went well thank god. has anyone done a boost control on a 306 hdi?
Thanks given by:
yeah, adjust the actuator Big Grin

failing that fit a MBC
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I thought 306 hdi's you had to have a MBC to change the boost. Iv found the pipe from the turbo to the wastegate but if I cut it then I can't get my hand in to joint the T-piece I need to put in. Has anyone found an easy way of doing it?
Thanks given by:
No.

I remember years back a friend doing an MBC and they broke something and ended up with their turbo out to fix it.

There might be an easier way but I'm not sure.

I think adjusting the waste-gate arm is better longer term. It's not as convenient but it technically has a better operation. Ideally an MBC does the job but the wastegate is still set at the lower boost level. Ideally to get the very best performance you want the wastegate set at say 20psi, and the MBC at 21psi so you get the best wastegate behaviour once it is actuated, and you get the MBC masking of boost to the wastegate (reducing creep) till the very last moment, meaning very fast turbo response.

However, in the lower gears sudden massive torque is the last thing you want, and in the higher gears the fact you are running a small turbo hard at 150bhp means the lag is minimal any way.
The wastegate closed up just seems to complement the delivery of torque and make it a nice smooth rounded output all the time. MBC can't really improve on that in my view.

As an alternative to the boost take-off being on the elbow, you can also use a bayonet type fitting on the silicone leading to the elbow. That is what I did. Then when the boost was set correctly and general running was assured as good after a few months I just reverted to a pipe without the take-off.
Seemed to make sense to put a hole in a £10 piece of silicone vs a £30+ ally pipe!

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
I'm sure on the hdi's you can't change the wastegate that's why you have to get a MBC. I might be wrong but I'm only going off what iv been told pal you might be right and just made a right tit out of myself lol
Thanks given by:
You've been fed bollocks by someone fella, you can adjust the wastegate on HDi's the same as anything else. For future reference, Mr Whippy is one of the definitive professional tuners for the HDi, might do yourself a favour if you listen to him. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Wasn't saying he's wrong pal just saying what iv been told that's all. Bet it's a right pain to adjust as you can't get your hand in to do anything.
Thanks given by:
Yeah it is that, right ball-ache. Then again you've got to get your hand in there to fit an mbc anyway, so not much difference in effort i guess.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Throttle Position? JTaylor2005 11 2,233 22-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Ruan
  HDI 110 ECU Boost Control on HDI 90 MY95 21 4,208 05-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  trying to get hold of Mr Whippy wacker315 4 1,418 04-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Last Post: wacker315