The Old XUD DervBus Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Old XUD DervBus Thread!
The name is Darren Lobb.......No offence intended, just needed to point this out as I so often get emails / pms calling me mr job lol.... Its Darren J Lobb Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Nice work though :-) ive seen some people rig up the rear washer jet for a spray on the fmic to get temps down short term but im at a loss for words. Good work :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You must of got some good patience.very interesting thread.is the Durv still going/alive.or anything else on the agenda.

Forgot to mention excelant work to.
Thanks given by:
The project continued here chap:

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-69.html
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(13-12-2011, 09:10 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Never found out....warmed it up, started building boost, and the nozzle friggin jammed..

But was alot less smokey off boost, and proper black smoke not shitty lazy long duration timing smoke...

Hm....have been fighting big time with engine bay temps recently, air filter does just fit behind the headlight, but with no real way to isolate it for a cold feed..

Uncle turned up and gave me a naughty idea.... Trouble  is, it would look tragic, does anyone know of a filter that wouldnt look tragic poking out of the bonnet?

Hello Darren,  I was wondering what you meant by 'shitty lazy long duration timing smoke' ?  do you mean long injection duration ? 

How would one reduce injection duration on a Bosch VE ? 

Thnaks
Thanks given by:
Darren,
what about a short curved pipe feeding from just above the I/c connector, up to the bottom of the filter?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
holy thread revival. Please start a technical discussion about the reduction of injection timing on a ve pump as it can get rather complicated rather fast. Cheers
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2018, 11:17 PM)EbuetAmecus Wrote:
(13-12-2011, 09:10 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Never found out....warmed it up, started building boost, and the nozzle friggin jammed..

But was alot less smokey off boost, and proper black smoke not shitty lazy long duration timing smoke...

Hm....have been fighting big time with engine bay temps recently, air filter does just fit behind the headlight, but with no real way to isolate it for a cold feed..

Uncle turned up and gave me a naughty idea.... Trouble  is, it would look tragic, does anyone know of a filter that wouldnt look tragic poking out of the bonnet?

Hello Darren,  I was wondering what you meant by 'shitty lazy long duration timing smoke' ?  do you mean long injection duration ? 

How would one reduce injection duration on a Bosch VE ? 

Thnaks

Holy moly thread revival!

Injection durations only reduced with bigger nozzles! can use sharper incline on cam plate but doesnt really fix the problem only put everything under heaps more stresss/bursting point and with higher rpm only reduces overall fuel
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wow just got an E-Mail to say this thread had been revived! Think the car has had 2-3 engines since this thread covered in other threads!

But the overall fix to injection duration issues / problems turning rpms.....Common rail Wink Smile Check out the latest build thread Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Apologies but count this as another thread revival [emoji23]

Casually going over this thread at work as my night shift draws to an end.

Re-living good ol' days by attempting another wacky estate build after the hdi build a couple years back. Always wanted to do an xud build so thought nows good time as ever.
[Image: b4c9ca7feb532f4a161bdba80587a0a6.jpg]
Was just curious if you ever managed to spit one of the forged rods in the end?
Never saw the end game of this engine only the transfer over to the adaptronic and 2.2 hdi setup.

In the process of now building a block up with a set of forged rods from damien biggen. Just curious if there was anything to look out for or bare in mind whilst building the engine.
I've got bash building me a 10mm pump later on and aiming to use a Gt2052s accompanied by the usual other mods (2.5" exhaust, intercooler etc).
Would rather not blow a block up with how thin these are beginning to get on the ground [emoji28]

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
Holy thread revival!

Had to reset my password to log in to make this post!

No, Have never windowed a block or had any damage with a rod related issue since fitting the forged rods... Infact, its the exact same rods in my current 16v hdi, that were in this very XUD at the end... Still going strong!

In the end it all came down to heat related issues quite honestly, not so much coolant heat, but just damaging the engine from heat, in the head / precup. It would just keep torching precups and / or causing them to become loose in the head, which would then rattle on the headgasket / wear, and unload the gasket, causing it to fail... After torching a few heads / having it apart over and over, It was just time to move on..... Im sure you could play with bigger cups, and other mods to help, but by this point, I already knew in my head I wanted to go DI, and eventually CR, and don't regret it at all, the DI engine is just in another league quite honestly.

However with that said, the XUD will always have a place in my heart as a great engine, and for pure simplicity / cheap fun (not so much now given their actually pretty hard to come by now, which is almost unbelievable really!).I learnt most of what I know now from many many years of messing with these engines, so long live the XUD Smile

Good luck with your build.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(06-12-2020, 10:47 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Holy thread revival!

Had to reset my password to log in to make this post!

No, Have never windowed a block or had any damage with a rod related issue since fitting the forged rods... Infact, its the exact same rods in my current 16v hdi, that were in this very XUD at the end... Still going strong!

In the end it all came down to heat related issues quite honestly, not so much coolant heat, but just damaging the engine from heat, in the head / precup. It would just keep torching precups and / or causing them to become loose in the head, which would then rattle on the headgasket / wear, and unload the gasket, causing it to fail... After torching a few heads / having it apart over and over, It was just time to move on..... Im sure you could play with bigger cups, and other mods to help, but by this point, I already knew in my head I wanted to go DI, and eventually CR, and don't regret it at all, the DI engine is just in another league quite honestly.

However with that said, the XUD will always have a place in my heart as a great engine, and for pure simplicity / cheap fun (not so much now given their actually pretty hard to come by now, which is almost unbelievable really!).I learnt most of what I know now from many many years of messing with these engines, so long live the XUD Smile

Good luck with your build.
Cheers appreciate the reply.

Thats encouraging that you never killed a block once going forged. Find it hard to get actual feedback from people who have ran them in the past.

As you say xud are becoming increasingly harder to find now. Actually lucked out on two engines proper cheap and obv have the third running in my car atm in standard lucas form [emoji28]
Hoping more too just build and transplant a forged lump straight in this time round rather than having a repeat of my hdi and doing small piece at a time, just makes sense [emoji2369]

Glad to see the John Deere's still alive and hopefully i might pump into it at some shows [emoji869]

Cheers

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
pump into it?

giggidy giggidy!
Thanks given by: