The Old XUD DervBus Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Old XUD DervBus Thread!
Got the intercooler / lights / slam panel and boost pipes back in today....

God clearances are tight, prey for me the bonnet will close....

[Image: DSC05681.jpg]

[Image: DSC05682.jpg]
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Things have never gone well when you see this....

[Image: IMAGE_382.jpg]

Btw i do not recommend towing from the slam panel, was only a mile away from home on the level, and have done this before, have no tow eye at the moment as it needs sorting out...

Nothing to major, been having problems with the aux belt bending an idler pulley I added, and it bent it again today, and trashed the aux belt, typical...wrapped around the cambelt etcetc, have stripped it all down today and welded up a new design, which routes the belt differently etc, but didnt take pics, will do 2moro!

PITA!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
What I meant was you have the 10-12psi of charger boost until 3200rpm, then the blower wakes up, and stacks the manifold up to 40-50 pounds to the redline...need a bigger blower tho for sure!

Anyway, small update, got the charger off again last night,

[Image: DSC05683.jpg]

As you remember the OLD setup I had for the belt :

[Image: IMAGE_301.jpg]

Problem was, the alternator didnt have enough contact, and sqeeled like a bitch if you loaded it up, and the tensioner also wasnt strong enough and failed.

So welded up a new bracket yesterday evening to hold to extra idlers which allows it to go around the alternator lots more, and also hopefully much stronger....

[Image: DSC05684.jpg]

Have also got the oil cooler fitted now, altho need to find a better location for it ideally.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Finally sorted out some fittings for the boost gauges, should stop the pipe issue!

[Image: DSC05705.jpg]

[Image: DSC05706.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Well the car went to coombe today, 450 mile round trip, without a single hitch, and returned 48mpg......So very happy!

I havent taken any photos or videos, but shamelessly stolen from springs, he took this earlier at coombe with his phone (shamelessly better quality than all my pics before lol!)

[Image: IMAG0074.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Before killing the blower, I changed the single sucker fan for a pair of blowers, all this hot weather is a bit much for the single fan...

[Image: IMAGE_384.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_385.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_386.jpg]

And re sealed the rocker gasket as it was seeping oil all over my manifold and stinkkkking!

[Image: IMAGE_387.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, among messing with a stupid fiesta cambelt / starter (friggin ford) i did my offending drivers side front wheel bearing this morning.

Bought a pair of bearings, am going to do the other side, but probs not till after fcs now as ive got other things that need sorting out first...

Forgot to take many pics, but took a few taking it apart / pressing the bearing out...

[Image: IMAGE_394.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_395.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_396.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_397.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Small modification that I asked Ruan if he could make for me at work...and he acaully did them for me, so im well chuffed! There a bit small, so hes hoping to make some bigger ones (i think Smile )

[Image: IMAGE_411.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_410.jpg]

IDI - And proud of it Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Well bit of an update...

Went to fcs, all the way there, all the way back, no real problems at all, did 640 miles to JUST over a tank, altho i wreckon if i had risked the red light i might have made it, either way, happy with the mpg still!

Some photos thanks to carlos....He has a good eye for some pictures...

At the campsite...

[Image: DSC04482.jpg]

And wasnt there 5 minutes before being forced to open the front flap...

[Image: DSC04494.jpg]

[Image: DSC04496.jpg]

And I assume the reason people were so interested may have had something to do with this?!

[Image: DSC04497.jpg]

And some photos on the stand...

[Image: DSC04516.jpg]

[Image: DSC04517.jpg]

Yes, its there behind all those potential derv conversions taking a look!

[Image: DSC04528.jpg]

Blowing some coal for lols...

[Image: DSC04605.jpg]

Random photo, but I really like it for some reason!

[Image: DSC04613.jpg]

Anyway, moving on with progress on the project....

Have decided to go tractor spec, and p pump the thing...which is obviously a pretty major project due to custom pump bracket / custom pulley / and custom just about everything...but unless i try it, ill never know, and the VE is driving me mental at the moment...

Some photos of things ive been tinkering with...

[Image: PIC_0103.jpg]

[Image: PIC_0105.jpg]

The dynamic advance concept....lots of work needed here..

[Image: PIC_0106.jpg]

[Image: PIC_0107.jpg]

Baby elements...

[Image: PIC_0108.jpg]

[Image: PIC_0110.jpg]

[Image: PIC_0112.jpg]

[Image: PIC_0113.jpg]

And yet again, MASSIVE thanks to everyone behind FCS (espically warlord, silly time and effort went in there) I had a fantastic time...

Was generally shocked at the intrest in my car, and certainly means alot, after a lot of blood sweat and tears, sometimes its nice to tell people about it in a good mood / when my hands are clean for a change! Enjoyed talking to EVERYONE that i spoke to over the weekend, good times!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
[Image: DSC00550.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Never found out....warmed it up, started building boost, and the nozzle friggin jammed..

But was alot less smokey off boost, and proper black smoke not shitty lazy long duration timing smoke...

Hm....have been fighting big time with engine bay temps recently, air filter does just fit behind the headlight, but with no real way to isolate it for a cold feed..

Uncle turned up and gave me a naughty idea.... Trouble is, it would look tragic, does anyone know of a filter that wouldnt look tragic poking out of the bonnet?

[Image: IMAGE_419.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_420.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Will be ringing them 2moro and ranting...

Put the stock ones back in today so it was drivable, went out to make sure it was ok...and a nut must have vibrated off the damn supercharger mount, and bolt fell out and went around the belt and onto the road, managing to perform the most epic stunt on a belt ive ever seen on a car, belt never got chewed or even fell off, just inverted itsself, and carried on just fine, lol!

Typical...

[Image: IMAGE_422.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_421.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_423.jpg]

Excuse the phone fail photos lol.

Its not happy about something atm thats for sure, not going very well at all Sad tonnes of smoke / no power...just generally shite tbh...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, have taken the car off the road for a bit as there are several projects going on, and then now that its eaten another fuel pump, its just made it a real pain in the arse...

Want to get the charger geared up while its off the road, I now have the pulley, (thanks to jonny b and his mate!), but to fit, am going to have to remove the power steering pump, and fit the electric pas pump, which I have made a start on tonight, and totally redesign the belt run, yet again, including some kinda homemade tensioner as there isnt room for the stock one now, but will rig that up on an old engine.

Have started re locating the oil cooler, as it was in warm air before, and helped, but not enough, so moving it out front in the grill in front the I/C so it has nice cold air....

Am moving the inline injection project along now, not sure if im going to keep it off the road until its sorted, or if ill sort the pas / cooler / charger and just bolt on a stock VE to keep it going for now, unsure at the moment....

The twin turbo project is obviously on hold now until all these other matters are sorted....but in good time..

Picture of the cooler mounted up in its new position..

[Image: IMAGE_426.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_427.jpg]

Useless phone pics, sorry!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I looked at doing that, but A it would stick out the front like mad if i did, because of the way the bumper rounds away, and I think if its going to be on view, its gunna have to be central to make an attempt at not looking tragic...

Anyway small update, have got all the belts / cambelt etc off my car atm, and also started mocking up a new belt run on a spare block, nothing mounted yet obviously, but the first proposed idea...Not to sure about the long run before the charger, so might have to look at mounting an idler or something just to take the whip out of the run...

[Image: IMAGE_428.jpg]

Note the uber crank pulley, which actually weighs less than the stock one lol!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Today has really been full of fail....

Finished work by 10am, (raining)....so thought excellent, a day of fixing up the car, so set out in a good mood...

Started off by completing the new supercharger setup, set it all up on a test block, all looking good, nice and simple compared to the old system, and generally happy with it:

(excuse useless pics, my phone sucks big time)

[Image: IMAGE_429.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_430.jpg]

So then removed the injector pump that died (the FCS dyno pump) to find this inside....

[Image: IMAGE_431.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_432.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_433.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_436.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_435.jpg]

Basically the plunger has seized up solid in its bore (probs due to silly rpms) which has then caused the ring gear to snap, and then the main input shaft to snap clean in to...

So basically my big head / rotor is now scrap, along with rest of the pump....

So decided as I had nothing else to use, I would just build myself a 11mm govmodded stock pump with a few other small tweaks just to keep it going for now, wouldnt be to bad etc, so did that, bolted it all up, got it started up etc, couldnt rev it all all / idle or anything as there is no charger, and it literally barely runs on NA compression...but thats that all sorted anyways...

So fitted all the supercharger again, got that all in, but for some reason my perfectly aligned setup off the car, is no longer alined, and belt just runs off, and its just a general **** up really....so going to have to re think the entire thing, strip it all down again, really frustrating really...

So abandoned it for today as im in a bad mood with it / tired from work etc so just going to leave it alone for now....

Plan is to move the idler much closer to the crank pulley so it hopefully it wont go out of track, and obviously sort out the current issue with alinement.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Some photos chris took:

[Image: DSC00558-1.jpg]
[Image: DSC00558.jpg]
[Image: DSC00560.jpg]
[Image: DSC00559.jpg]
[Image: DSC00556-2.jpg]
[Image: DSC00557-1.jpg]
[Image: DSC00556-1.jpg]
[Image: DSC00557.jpg]
[Image: DSC00556.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Its a 106 / saxo pump, only I opted for the one without the built in resovoir, as there really wasnt anywhere to put it...its all fitted 2nite, plumbed up and wired up, works a treat.

Took it for a 2-3 mile test drive to make sure belt etc was all ok, and all seems well....Have a major fuel tank starvation issue, which I think is probs what killed the last pump in the end, so havent been able to open it up, but what I do know, is I now have at least 1500rpm less lag, and its so much more pokey down around 1k now!

Oh, and the charger whine while driving...Smile

Picture of the pas pump, in the only place I could find to put it out the way...

[Image: IMAGE_441.jpg]

Will try and get some work done on it next weekend, and try to make some power, all be it never to much as the pump is only a baby now, but should still be able to get some half decent power out of it for now.

Thanks
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
It would take to long to try and list everything down, only way is to read the thread...sorry...

Also gotta love this utter fail mugshot of me, but purely for the blower, took it off today to try out some potential "primary" blowers, but after driving on the smaller ones for a while, it just had to go back on!!

[Image: 226157_10150264285912675_585842674_79718...4529_n.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Im just gutted it never ran up on the dyno before....im almost tempted to put it BACK together even in its current state....throw the pump at it and run it up one last time at dyno, but its just way to much work, and I dont wanna risk it dropping out and locking up a rod...as they SHOULD all still be intact..and the happen to fit the bottom end of a DI motor quite nicely....

Whats basically happened, is I pulled the head 2nite to investigate head gasket issues, to discover a pre chamber missing, and one flopping around, and some of the most chronic bore scoring ive ever seen, and thats with an air filter!, last motor never had a filter at all, and didnt appear to have any scoring, so im not acaully sure what has caused it, oil has been changed every 500 miles from the rebuild, and always warmed up etc..

Piston slop is also terrable, and im yet to investigate head cracking among other issues.....Its a big shame as it was really starting to go somewhere over the last few weeks, am just so gutted It didnt hold together for just a bit longer for some results, but shit happens I guess, a few phone photos:

[Image: DSC00570.jpg]

[Image: DSC00568.jpg]

[Image: DSC00566.jpg]

[Image: DSC00567.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Oops to resserrect an old thread, but felt the need to inform people upon a discover today!

Finally pulled the motor and stripped it down today to re aqquire the rods clutch etc out of it...

Puled it apart, to find a handfull of bits of ally in the oil filter pickup (not good...) after picking up a few bits, instantly know what it is, and focus my eyes to the piston oil squirters, to find one missing....

All I can say, is that fook that head let go, because if it didnt, there would have been $$$ of conrods out the front of the crankcase in a very limited ammount of miles, but luckily saved to just needing a possible little end bush due to extra wear without enough oil.... Certainly an intresting find, and slightly concerning!

Thought we had enough clearance, but obviously not enough!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
The project is being continued in here:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=82</a><!-- l -->

Thanks for reading Smile

Darren

[Image: DSC04605.jpg]

[Image: DSC04497.jpg]

[Image: DSC04517.jpg]

[Image: DSC04613.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(Have just copied the posts with images in from the old thread, trying to copy all the posts would take to long, and besides images are what we all want anyways) Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Taken me a couple of days to read this end to end because theres so much in it that i cant cope with more than a page at a time.

This car is epic, I cant believe how low your compression must be with that gap between the top of the pistons and the face of the block.

Cant wait to see this making stupid power and crazy coal again. You need to get this dynoed and featured in a mag once youve got it running on the 2T1S set up .

If theres anything you ned my help for then give me a bell.
Thanks given by:
This is giving me naughty ideas for the 205 Big Grin
Still makes for an AWESOME read.
Hats off to you Mr. Lobb
Thanks given by:
Most awesome derv thread ever! Big Grin Fast car used your dyno picture in a caption competition the other day!
Thanks given by:
I saw that on there facebook page....do they do anything with the captions? Or is it just a bit of fun on facebook?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Dammit Mr Lobb I've just wasted an hour at work going over this thread! lol

Not that I would call it wasted tho!
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:This car is epic, I cant believe how low your compression must be with that gap between the top of the pistons and the face of the block.

I assume you're referring to this photo:

[Image: DSC00566.jpg]

You realise, that's just the gap between the top of the rings and the block, you barely even notice the 1.5mm off the top, it now just sits shy of flush with the deck, rather than protruding Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
There was a longer one Darren Job. I don't know where it got to, great shame. Your car was such a beast that it spoilt it for everyone else but in a good way.
Thanks given by: